# BACBI Culture's Newsletter Nr 62 (March 2021): click here!
# BACBI Academic Newsletter Nr 69 (April 2021): click here!
CURRENT NEWS, CAMPAIGNS & DENUNCIATIONS:
OPEN LETTER FROM 152 BELGIAN ACADEMICS & ARTISTS - CULTURAL WORKERS
TO: PRIME MINISTER ALEXANDER DE CROO & MINISTERS SOPHIE WILMÈS & MERYAME KITIR, AND THE BELGIAN MEMBERS OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
(BACBI, 28 février, 2021):
"En ce moment charnière de la politique internationale de – et à l'égard d'Israël, nous voulons attirer votre attention sur la gravité de la situation dans laquelle une partie de la population palestinienne continue de se trouver. Nous voulons avant tout vous convaincre du caractère d'urgence qu'il y a à se prononcer sans délais et à mener une politique proactive pour un Israël démocratique qui abolisse son organisation étatique actuelle d'apartheid..."
"Op dit scharnierpunt in de internationale politiek van en jegens Israël, willen we uw aandacht vragen voor de ernst van de situatie waarin het Palestijnse deel van de bevolking zich blijft bevinden. Bovenal willen we u overtuigen van de dringende noodzaak om zich onverkort uit te spreken en een proactief beleid te voeren voor een democratisch Israël dat zijn huidig apartheidssysteem ontmantelt..."
« OVER 1,000 IRISH ARTISTS PLEDGE TO BOYCOTT ISRAEL IN SUPPORT OF PALESTINE »
Kate Braydan (HotPress, January 25, 2021):
The 1,034 signatories include actors, writers, poets, painters, sculptors, film-makers, dancers, architects, composers, designers, musicians and others, including many members of Ireland’s state-sponsored academy of artists Aosdána and range from some of Ireland’s most internationally known figures to artists starting out on their careers.
“We are very proud to have so many artists sign up to our pledge," IPSC Cultural Liaison Zoë Lawlor said. "Reaching 1,000 signatories is a huge landmark in Irish solidarity with Palestine and a serious statement in support of the Palestinian struggle for freedom, justice and equality. As the indigenous Palestinian people endure their 73rd year of dispossession, ethnic cleansing, apartheid and enforced exile, and western governments fail to sanction Israel, they need the solidarity of people of conscience - and this pledge plays a major part in that,” Lawlor adds.
The Pledge was launched by the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign (IPSC) in August 2010. It reads as follows: “In response to the call from Palestinian civil society for a cultural boycott of Israel, we pledge not to avail of any invitation to perform or exhibit in Israel, nor to accept any funding from any institution linked to the government of Israel, until such time as Israel complies with international law and universal principles of human rights.”
« A regime of Jewish supremacy from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea: This is apartheid »
B'TSELEM (Jan 12, 2021):
More than 14 million people, roughly half of them Jews and the other half Palestinians, live between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea under a single rule... and under a single principle: advancing and cementing the supremacy of one group – Jews – over another – Palestinians...
[B'TSELEM pdf version (8p.), click here! - FR (via AURDIP): cliquez-ici! - NL (BDS NL), klik hier!]
« Sur la notion d'apartheid de B'Tselem »
Majd Kayyal (Collectif Palestine Vaincra (6 février 2021):
L'organisation israélienne des droits de l'homme, B'Tselem, a récemment publié une déclaration dans laquelle elle affirme que « les territoires sous contrôle israélien sont organisés selon un seul principe : faire progresser et cimenter la suprématie des Juifs sur les Palestiniens », et qualifie ce principe « d'apartheid ». Elle revient cependant sur sa déclaration en disant que le régime « n'est pas né d'un seul jour ou d'un seul discours ». C'est « un processus qui s'est progressivement institutionnalisé et rendu plus explicite au fil du temps ». Qu'est-ce que cela signifie, qu'est-ce que cela révèle et quelles sont ses implications ?..
À notre connaissance limitée, le colonialisme sioniste en Palestine a été fondé sur un principe raciste - la « création d'un État juif ». Son entité a été fondée sur des massacres, des déplacements et la destruction de centaines de villages et de villes en 1948. Pour réfuter l'affirmation de B'Tselem, il suffirait donc de quelques lignes, ou peut-être d'un mot de cinq lettres : la Nakba... un mot que l'on ne trouve nulle part dans les dictionnaires des organisations israéliennes de défense des droits de l'homme. Ces dernières appartiennent à une base sociale qui a créé la Nakba et en a profité.
Why Boycott Israel?
- "What is BDS?" (BDS Movement): click here!
Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) is a Palestinian-led movement for freedom, justice and equality. BDS upholds the simple principle that Palestinians are entitled to the same rights as the rest of humanity.
- Omar BARGHOUTI, “Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions. Globalized Palestinian Resistance to Israel's Settler Colonialism and Apartheid” (Institute for Palestine Studies-USA, Current Issues, December 2020, pdf, 42p.): click here!
IN AN ERA when the cause of Palestine has suffered multiple setbacks, and when the Palestinian national movement is at a low point of disunity and strategic incoherence, it is heartening that an initiative launched by Palestinian civil society has achieved resounding global success in the face of fierce opposition by the Israeli state and its supporters.
- "The case for a cultural boycott of Israel" (BDS Movement): click here!
Israeli government officials have summed up how Israel instrumentalizes culture to cover up its grave violations of international law. "We are seeing culture as a hasbara [propaganda] tool of the first rank,” one official admitted, “and I do not differentiate between hasbara and culture." Israel’s cultural institutions are part and parcel of the ideological and institutional scaffolding of Israel’s regime of occupation, settler-colonialism and apartheid against the Palestinian people. These institutions are clearly implicated, through their silence or active participation, in supporting, justifying and whitewashing Israel’s occupation and systematic denial of Palestinian rights.
- "Palestinian artists & cultural organisations call on internationals to cancel engagements in Israel" : click here!
“We members of the Palestinian cultural and artistic community in the besieged and occupied Gaza Strip, across historic Palestine and in exile make this heartfelt appeal to our fellow artists from around the world to cancel all scheduled performances, exhibitions and appearances in Israel, or sponsored by the Israeli government or complicit Israeli institutions, whether in-person or online, for as long as Israel’s regime of military occupation and apartheid persists."
- "Artists for Palestine UK" : click here!
Artists’ Pledge for Palestine: "We support the Palestinian struggle for freedom, justice and equality. In response to the call from Palestinian artists and cultural workers for a cultural boycott of Israel, we pledge to accept neither professional invitations to Israel, nor funding, from any institutions linked to its government until it complies with international law and universal principles of human rights."
- "British Writers in Support of Palestine" (BWISP): click here!
BWISP exists to support the Palestinian call for an academic and cultural boycott of Israel, and to promote Palestinian literature and literary events. BWISP members pledge not to attend state-sponsored literary events in Israel, including university conferences.
- « OVER 1,000 IRISH ARTISTS PLEDGE TO BOYCOTT ISRAEL IN SUPPORT OF PALESTINE » (Kate Braydan, HotPress, January 25, 2021): click here!
The 1,034 signatories include actors, writers, poets, painters, sculptors, film-makers, dancers, architects, composers, designers, musicians and others, including many members of Ireland’s state-sponsored academy of artists Aosdána and range from some of Ireland’s most internationally known figures to artists starting out on their careers. “We are very proud to have so many artists sign up to our pledge," IPSC Cultural Liaison Zoë Lawlor said. "Reaching 1,000 signatories is a huge landmark in Irish solidarity with Palestine and a serious statement in support of the Palestinian struggle for freedom, justice and equality. As the indigenous Palestinian people endure their 73rd year of dispossession, ethnic cleansing, apartheid and enforced exile, and western governments fail to sanction Israel, they need the solidarity of people of conscience - and this pledge plays a major part in that,” Lawlor adds. The Pledge was launched by the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign (IPSC) in August 2010. It reads as follows: “In response to the call from Palestinian civil society for a cultural boycott of Israel, we pledge not to avail of any invitation to perform or exhibit in Israel, nor to accept any funding from any institution linked to the government of Israel, until such time as Israel complies with international law and universal principles of human rights.”
- "Top 20 impacts of our collective work for justice in 2020" (Palestinian BDS National Committee, Dec 20, 2020): click here!
Despite its massive investment of financial, political, diplomatic, propaganda and intelligence resources in its war against the BDS movement, Israel has failed, as some of its own lobby groups today admit, thanks to your support worldwide.
Actions & Calls:
- "32 Museum Directors Lead Calls for German Parliament to Reverse BDS Ruling" (Hakim Bishara, Hyperallergic, December 14, 2020): click here!
Hundreds of artists, academics, and writers called on German parliament to reverse a resolution from last year that labels the Palestinian Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS) as “anti-Semitic.”
- Brief aan Gentse Schepen Sofie Bracke vanwege meer dan 50 academici, auteurs en kunstenaars (BACBI, 20 jan 2020, pdf, 5 blz.): click here!
Betreft: de vergadering van de Gentse gemeenteraad op 20/1, agendapunt "Intrekking deelname VOKA-missie naar Israël" (Tom De Meester).
- Eva ILLOUZ, "Holocaust, Militarism and Machiavelli's Advice: How Fear Took Over Israel" (Haaretz, Jan 1, 2021, republished by Jewish Voice for Labour): click here!
"Israel may be the best-defended state in the world, but its people's existence is based on an ethos of constant fear." [JVL Introduction: To understand the conflict in Israel-Palestine we have to understand why Israeli Jews think as they do. This brilliant article in Haaretz by Israeli sociologist Eva Illouz helps us begin to understand. Israeli Jews are afraid. They are not born afraid, but they learn fear from the moment of birth, and their fear is harnessed into a collective fear-driven hate. A similar analysis helps to explain why British diaspora Jews are so frightened of any criticism of Israel, why so many cast Israel's critics as hate objects.]
- Jehad HARB, "Thirteen Years After the West Bank-Gaza Strip Split: Phased Policy Alternatives Between Reunification and Separation" (PSR, Critical Policy Brief, Number 4/2020, July 2020): click here!
On July 2, 2020, Jibril Rajoub, member of the Fatah Central Committee, and Saleh Al-Arouri, deputy head of the Hamas political bureau, held a joint press conference to announce joint plans to confront the Israeli annexation plan. The joint statement issued by the two men comes after a rift of more than two years. The statement did not refer to a vision of how to end the split and restore unity after thirteen years of internal Palestinian division. The ability of this meeting and subsequent dialogue to bridge differences between the two sides is unclear. The solutions proposed since the 2011 Cairo Agreement to restore unity have failed to reach the intended goal, in part because of their ambitious goal of restoring full reunification.
- Halah AHMAD, "Tourism in Service of Occupation and Annexation" (Al-Shabaka, Oct 13, 2020): click here!
Tourism has been critical to the Zionist enterprise since the first Zionists settled Palestine. Al-Shabaka policy analyst Halah Ahmad explores the role of tourism, and especially religious tourism, in propagating the Zionist and Israeli-state narratives, focusing on the damaging impacts of Israeli settlement tourism in illegally occupied Palestinian land. She offers recommendations for ethical tourism that promotes Palestinian rights to self-determination.
- François DUBUISSON, "Trump 'Plan' would create a fictitious Palestinian state devoid of rights under international law" (Mondoweiss, Jan 31): click here!
After being announced shortly after Donald Trump took office in 2017, the "Plan" (modestly called "the Vision") supposed to put an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was made public on January 28th. It is therefore now possible to analyse its substance in detail, deepening the reflections that have already been made on the basis of the leaks of some of its aspects... In the preamble of the "Plan", a position is taken which results in the exclusion of the whole of international law, as derived from UN resolutions and a range of other texts, as the essential basis for establishing the parameters of the solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Amira HASS, “Rewarding the Israeli Attackers in the Settlements" (Haaretz, Oct 22, 2019): click here!
It’s a system – violence carried out with the army’s full backing and with the aim of expanding, on a daily basis, the area from which Palestinians are driven out.
Arts & Heritage:
Jenin, Jenin (2002)
6 days agoMore
- Mohammad BAKRI: "Jenin, Jenin" (2002) (Palestine Film Institute, VIMEO): click here!
Directed and co-produced by Palestinian actor Mohammad Bakri, "Jenin Jenin" includes testimony from Jenin residents after the Israeli army's 'Defensive Wall' operation. The city and camp were the scenes of fierce fighting which ended with Jenin flattened and scores of Palestinians dead. Palestinians as well as numerous human rights groups accused Israel of committing war crimes in the attack. The United Nations appointed a commission of inquiry, but Israel refused to let its members visit the scene. Banned in Israel, Jenin Jenin is dedicated to Iyad Samudi, the producer of the film, who returned home to Yamun after the shooting of the film was completed. On June 23, as Israeli forces besieged Yamun, Samudi was shot and killed as he was leaving a militarily-closed area with three friends.
- Suha ARRAF: "For Palestinian filmmakers in Israel, it’s loyalty or silence" (+972, Jan 15, 2021): click here!
Israel’s persecution of actor and filmmaker Mohammad Bakri reflects its desire to censor stories of the occupation while gloating about being a ‘democracy.’
- Samar HAZBOUN: "A defiant aesthetic’: The Palestinian fashion brand trashing stereotypes" (+972, Nov 17, 2020): click here!
Using art and fashion to highlight diverse voices in Palestinian society, tRASHY's clothing illustrates the challenges Palestinians face in freely expressing their identities to the world.
- "PALESTINE: The Right to the Ruin: Civilizational Absence in the Post-Nakba Landscapes" (The Funambulist): click here!
What is wrong with these pictures? Start maybe by looking at them all. The landscapes that they show are beautiful and seem to be almost untouched by humans. The problem is that they are taken where Palestinian villages used to exist before 1948.
- Ronit VERED: "The Vanishing of a Legendary Palestinian Pastry" (Haaretz, July 17, 2019): click here!
It’s said that if you visited Jerusalem without eating this pastry, it’s as if you’d never visited at all. But the legendary mutabbaq shop in the Old City is shuttered. What’s behind the closure after 150 years?
- Chemi SHIFF and Yonathan MIZRACHI: "Using archeology in the service of nationalism" (+972, July 5, 2019): click here!
The inauguration of a supposed ancient Jewish ‘Pilgrimage Road’ by Ambassador David Friedman and White House envoy Jason Greenblatt is a reminder that archeology is never as neutral as some would like to believe.
- Ahmad MELHEM: "Palestinian police on red alert over antiquities smuggling" (Al-Monitor, July 11, 2019): click here!
- "Gaza's Once Thriving Traditional Crafts Industries Rapidly Disappearing" (Haaretz, July 10, 2019): click here!
With unemployment rate over 50 percent, goods that once defined the Strip's economy are now almost nonexistent. Craftsmen blame Israeli blockade for economic turmoil.
- Amjad IRAQI: "Don’t wait for Israeli archives to prove what Palestinians already know" (+972, July 7, 2019): click here!
Israeli authorities are deliberately concealing historical documents to undermine evidence of the state’s dark and violent origins. And the world is still falling for it.
- Mohammed ASAD, "Photo essay: The most beautiful places in Gaza" (Mondoweiss, July 2, 2019): click here!
- Rasha HILWI: "Après les falafel et le houmous, Israël essaie de s'approprier le za'atar" (Collectif Palestine Vaincra, 29 mai, 2019): click here!
- Megan GIOVANETTI: "From Palestine with love: Designer explores postcard power" (Al-Monitor, April 26, 2019): click here!
- Adri NIEUWHOF: ""How Dareen Tatour found a "magic pen" in Israeli prison" (The Electronic Intifada, 12 Feb): click here!
4 months after her release from an Israeli prison, Palestinian poet and photographer Dareen Tatour received in The Hague the 'Oxfam Novib PEN Award for Freedom of Expression'. Oxfam Novib, the Dutch affiliate of Oxfam, said it awarded Tatour the prize to highlight "the growing repression of critical voices in both Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories."
- Ronnie BARKAN: “Un État (d’esprit) d’apartheid” (Charleroi pour la Palestine, Dec 4, 2020): click here!
“Un État (d’esprit) d’apartheid” est une contribution de Ronnie Barkan au livre "Le strade dell’Apartheid" de Luca Greco : 30 photographies en noir et blanc pour témoigner de la condition de ségrégation physique et mentale en Palestine, dans les camps saharaouis et en Irlande du Nord. Déambuler dans les rues de l’Israël de l’apartheid, connu également sous le nom de Palestine, constitue davantage qu’une simple promenade à travers la riche histoire de cette terre, sans oublier la récente vague de violence et d’oppression. Tout en marchant dans les rues, on peut absorber autre chose encore que des expressions de racisme et d’ultra-nationalisme. Il s’agit également d’une balade dans un autre espace – dans un autre monde avec sa mentalité absolument différente.
- SUSAN ABULHAWA: "Abulhawa on her Palestinian epic: ‘My exile has defined my life and I don’t need to account for the sensitivities of the people who did that to me.’ Phil Weiss interviews Susan Abulhawa about her new novel "Against the Loveless World." (Mondoweiss, Dec 3, 2020): click here!
This is a celebration– and it’s in our podcast this week. A few months back, Susan Abulhawa published “Against the Loveless World”, an epic novel about the travels of a Palestinian refugee who ends up in an Israeli prison. The book deserves wide attention because it is a Palestinian’s story told completely outside the American perspective, and outside the western frame of judgments on Palestine. Abulhawa’s narrator does not check her attitudes toward Zionism or Israel with any of the censors that operate on so many of us, whether at editors’ desks or in our own heads.
- Rashid KHALIDI, "The Hundred Years' War on Palestine. A History of Settler Colonial Conquest and Resistance." Profile Books, Feb 6, 2020, hardback, 9781781259337, 336p. Price (The Guardian Bookshop): £21.00 (£25.00): click here!. "Riveting and original ... a work enriched by solid scholarship, vivid personal experience, and acute appreciation of the concerns and aspirations of the contending parties in this deeply unequal conflict," Noam Chomsky.
- *PALESTINIAN REFUGEES IN (19) WEST BANK & (8) GAZA STRIP CAMPS (pdf, 2p.): click here!
- *List of (150) Solidarity with Palestine Organisations: click here!
- *List of (20) Jewish Solidarity Movements: click here!
- *List of (108) Palestinian NGOs: click here!
- *List of (41) Israeli NGOs: click here!
- *List of (16) Israeli Critical Academic Voices: click here!
- *List of (101) Palestinian & Israeli Human Rights Associations (24/12/2020, pdf): click here!
- # "Highway to Annexation Israeli Road and Transportation Infrastructure Development in the West Bank." The Israeli Centre for Public Affairs & Breaking the Silence (December 2020, pdf, 39p.): click here!
While the threat of de jure Israeli annexation of West Bank territory has lessened, de facto annexation is accelerating at a rapid and alarming pace. The Israeli political Right has stated that it hopes to grow the population to 1,000,000 settlers. Even if such a number is not reached, the significant road and transportation development projects that the Israeli government has advanced in the past five years make it plausible that the current settler population could double in the coming decades. Settlement expansion cannot take place without the parallel development of road, water, and electricity infrastructure. Because of this, when tracking settlement expansion, it is important to track not only the number of new housing units, which is the most common benchmark used today, but also the development of settlement infrastructure.
- B'TSELEM: "Conquer and Divide": B'Tselem launches new interactive map to mark 52 years since the Israeli occupation began" (B'Tselem - The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, June 6, 2019): click here!
Today - 52 years to the day since Israel began occupying the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip - B'Tselem launches a new interactive project, "Conquer and Divide", a collaboration with independent research agency 'Forensic Architecture'. By means of a series of maps the project illustrates the various measures Israel has used to encroach upon Palestinian space in the Occupied Territories since 1967."
- REPORT: "House Demolitions as a Central Tool for the Dispossession and Concentration of the Bedouin Population in the Negev/Naqab: Updated Data for 2017" (Dukium, Nov 27, 2018, pdf, 33p.): click here!
In the course of 2017, an unprecedented amount of 2,220 structures were demolished in the Bedouin communities in the Negev/Naqab - an unfathomable number. The State of Israel implements its demolition policy in all Bedouin localities, recognized and unrecognized alike, and demolishes new structures alongside old ones, in order to force its Bedouin citizens to settle according to the government’s aspirations and the various master-plans it created.
- Jonathan COOK: "Apartheid Israel" (16p., The Link, Vol. 51, Issue 2, April-May 2018): click here!
- "Palestine and the Israeli Occupation, Issue No. 1: Israeli Practices towards the Palestinian People and the Question of Apartheid". Rapporteurs: Prof. Richard Falk & Prof. Virginia Tilley. UNESCWA - Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (Beirut 2017, 74p., document was removed from the UN website but is saved on bacbi.be): click here! La traduction française (AURDIP, 62p.): click here!
The authors of this report, examining whether Israel has established an apartheid regime that oppresses and dominates the Palestinian people as a whole, fully appreciate the sensitivity of the question. Even broaching the issue has been denounced by spokespersons of the Israeli Government and many of its supporters as anti-Semitism in a new guise.
- Herman DE LEY, "“Moreel verwerpelijk”: Tweede open brief aan minister Alexander De Croo" (De Wereld Morgen, 28 sept 2018 ): click here!
"Telkens als in uw repliek de Israëlische zijde ter sprake komt, kenmerkt uw woordgebruik zich door een hoge mate aan empathie en gevoelsmatig inlevingsvermogen. Dit empathische taalgebruik blijft bij u achterwege zodra de duizenden onschuldige, Palestijnse slachtoffers ter sprake komen. Dit volharden in een 2-maten-2-gewichten-politiek, waarin de zwakke wél zwaar wordt aangepakt maar men de sterke de facto laat betijen, hoe moeten we dat vanuit moreel opzicht benoemen, geachte Minister De Croo? Ik zou durven gewagen van: “moreel verwerpelijk”."
- Alexander DE CROO: "De Croo reageert op kritiek tegen stopzetting Belgische ondersteuning van Palestijns ministerie van Onderwijs" (De Wereld Morgen, 25 sept 2018 ): click here!
- Herman DE LEY, "'Vrijheidsstrijder' versus 'Terrorist': Open brief aan De Croo, minister van Ontwikkelingssamenwerking" (De Wereld Morgen, 21 sept 2018 ): click here!
- Herman DE LEY, "Lettre ouverte à Alexander De Croo, Vice-Premier ministre et ministre de la Coopération au développement" (Pour la Palestine, 19 sept 2018 ): click here!
- BACBI "Lettre ouverte de condamnation du massacre à Gaza perpétré par l’État d’Israël." (le avril 2018, pdf, 3p.): click here!
- BACBI Lettre: "ll faut libérer Ahed Tamimi." Aux Membres de la Chambre des représentants, du Sénat de Belgique et des Parlements régionaux (Nevele, le 22 février 2018, pdf, 6p.): click here!
- BACBI: "Brief voor de vrijlating van de Palestijnse tiener Ahed Tamimi." Aan de leden van de Belgische Kamer van Volksvertegenwoordigers, de Belgische Senaat en de regionale parlementen (Nevele, 21 februari 2018, pdf, 11p.): click here!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 3 (NL): "Boycot Israël (BDS), een morele plicht" (12 mei 2017, pdf, 55 blz.): click here!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 3 (FR):"Le boycott d'Israël (BDS), un devoir moral" (traduction par J.-M. Flémal, 10 mai, 2017, pdf, 45p.): click here!
- Katarzyna LEMANSKA: "Les liens entre la Belgique et l'occupation israélienne" (Étude, avril 2014; mise à jour en août 2014, pdf, 89p.): click here!
- Ico MALY: "Over Racisme en beeldvorming in het Israëlisch-Palestijnse conflict" (Licentieverhandeling, UGent 2001): click here!
BACBI's Coordinating Committee: Prof. Karel Arnaut (KU Leuven), Em. Prof. Marie-Christine Closon (UCL), Prof. Patrick Deboosere (VUB), Prof. Lieven De Cauter (KU Leuven), Em. Prof. Herman De Ley (UGent), Em. Prof. Marc De Meyere (UGent), Prof. Serge Deruette (UMons), Lieve Franssen (dirigent Brussels Brecht-Eislerkoor), Carl Gydé (directeur CAMPO), Em. Prof. Madeline Lutjeharms (VUB), Prof. Perrine Humblet (ULB), Em. Prof. Marc Jacquemain (Université de Liège), Raven Ruëll (régisseur), Em. Prof. Christiane Schomblond (ULB), Dr. Nozomi Takahashi (UGent), Prof. Karin Verelst (VUB).
BACBI Culture Secretariat: click here!
Voor het archief click here!
- *"Palestinian boy loses eye after Israel soldiers shoot him” (Middle East Monitor, April 12, 2021).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "Palestinians Protested the Theft of Their Land. An Israeli Army Officer Shot One of Them in the Head” (Haaretz, March 26, 2021).
- "Israel to displace 1,550 Palestinians to build park in Jerusalem” (MEMo, March 18, 2021).
- "Reconstitution de l’exécution d’un Palestinien qui ne constituait aucune menace” (EuroPalestine, 27 février, 2021).
- Mairav ZONSZEIN: "Vaccination Under Occupation” (Jewish Currents, 12 Jan, 2021).
- Orly NOY: "Why B’Tselem is calling Israel an apartheid regime, from the river to the sea” (Mondoweiss, 12 Jan, 2021).
- "Deaf Palestinian man shot by Israeli soldiers dies of his wounds” (Israel Palestine News, Dec 11, 2020).
- "New Israeli ambassador in Britain describes Nakba as 'Arab lie'” (Middle East Monitor, Dec 8, 2020).
- "Israeli settlers flood Palestinian farmland with sewage” (Middle East Monitor, Oct 19, 2020).
- Ahmad MELHEM: "Family of Palestinian boy disfigured in 2015 firebomb attack still seeking justice” (Al-Monitor, Sept 20, 2020).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Palestinian child shot by Israel dies in detention.” (The Electronic Intifada, August 21, 2020).
- Yumna PATEL: "Young Palestinian woman killed by Israeli forces in Jenin.” 23-year-old Dalia Samoudi is the 24th Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces in the occupied Palestinian territories this year (Mondoweiss, August 7, 2020).
- "Israeli Soldiers Demolish Under-Construction Covid-19 Testing Center in Hebron” (IMEMC, July 21 2020).
- "Mother of Slain Palestinian: “My Son Was A Child In A Man’s Body”" (IMEMC, June 31 2020).
- Sondos SALEH: "Mustafa Went to Tel Aviv for Hospital Tests. He Was Shot Dead" (Haaretz, May 19, 2020).
- Jonathan OFIR: "Slapping Israeli Apartheid — the sentencing of Yifat Doron" (Mondoweiss, May 15, 2020).
- "Israëlische politieman schiet Palestijnse jongen kogel in het gezicht" (The Rights Forum, 18 feb, 2020).
- Jonathan OFIR: "Getting away with murder: Why Israeli police left Bedouin teacher to bleed to death in 2017." Some murder cases are so full of lies, that every attempt to hide them from public view only brings more attention to the crime. Such is the case of the extrajudicial execution three years ago of Israeli Bedouin citizen Yaqub Mousa Abu al-Qia’an. (Mondoweiss, March 1, 2020).
- Amira HASS: "The Trump Plan’s Vision for the Palestinians: Israel’s Security Slave." Direct lines can be seen between the ‘deal of the century,’ the Oslo Accords and their fraudulent implementation, which led to the creation of separate Palestinian enclaves. (Haaretz, Jan 31, 2020).
- "B’Tselem: Israel soldiers ‘wantonly’ shoot Palestinian children" (Palestine Post24, Dec 18, 2019).
- "Lost count? Israel killed 43 Palestinians in November" (If Americans Knew, Dec 5, 2019).
- Jonathan COOK: "Israel prepares to turn Bedouin citizens into refugees in their own country" (Mondoweiss, Oct 16, 2019).
- A. Daniel ROTH: "Each morning brings the fear of losing everything" (+972, Aug 25, 2019).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "The Protest Dispersed. Then an Israeli Sniper Shot a 9-year-old Boy in the Head" (Haaretz via IAK, July 20, 2019, ).
- Entsar ABU JAHAL: "Plenty of fish in Gaza sea, but not for Palestinians" (Al-Monitor, June 14, 2019).
- Myriam DEPREZ: "Susiya: The build-and-destroy dance of Israel’s demolitions" (Middle East Monitor, May 10, 2019).
- OCHA (oPt), "Child labour increasing in Gaza" (OCHA - Monthly Humanitarian Bulletin, April 2019, May 14, 2019).
- Netta AHITUV, "Endless trip to hell': Israel jails hundreds of Palestinian boys a year. These are their testimonies" (Breaking the Silence via Haaretz, March 16, 2019).
- Tamara NASSAR: "Israel’s war on its Palestinian citizens" (The Internet Intifada, 26 Feb, 2019).
- Gideon LEVY: "In Land of Illegal Outposts and Hate Crimes, Another Palestinian Life Claimed" (Haaretz, Jan 27, 2019).
- "Report: Crimes against Humanity: Israel killed at least 45 Palestinian children in Gaza" (Ma'an News Agency, Jan 19, 2019).
- Yumna PATEL: "‘Waging War on Shufat’: Jerusalem municipality demolishes 21 businesses in East Jerusalem refugee camp" (Mondoweiss, Nov 22, 2018).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israeli soldier executed Gaza teen at close range: witness" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 13, 2018).
- "September 2018 report: 378 Palestinians arrested as Khader Adnan, Omran al-Khatib continue hunger strikes" (Samidoun, Oct 11, 2018).
- "Palestinians Protest Planned Demolition of Khan al-Ahmar" (Telesur, July 28, 2018).
- Yumna PATEL: "Israeli forces kill 15-year-old Palestinian in refugee camp raid" (Mondoweiss, July 23, 2018).
- Amira HASS: "Night raids and attack dogs: For West Bank Palestinians, their homes are not their castles" (Haaretz, June 17, 2018).
- Neve GORDON: "Gaza's Passover massacre" (Al-Jazeera, April 1, 2018).
- "Israel killed 3 Palestinian civilians, injured 500, in first half of March" (Middle East Monitor, March 16, 2018).
- Omar KARMI: “Gaza in a vice” (The Electronic Intifada, Feb 13, 2018).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: “Like a Safari: Israeli Troops in Jeeps Hunt a Palestinian Teen and Shoot Him in the Head” (Haaretz, Feb 9, 2018, now freely available via If Americans Knew).
- Amira HASS: "On the Margins of the Murder”, (Haaretz, Nov 12, 2017).
- "Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians, including 4 minors, in overnight raids" (Ma'an, March 29, 2017).
- Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017).
- "Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).
- Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).
- Emily MULDER: "Israeli guard: 'Go from this land or I will kill you'" (Al Jazeera, Dec 26, 2016).
- "A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016).
- "Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016).
- "Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).
- Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016).
- "Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).
- Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016).
- "After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).
- Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).
- Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).
- Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).
- Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).
- Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016).
- "Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016).
- "UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).
- Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).
- Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).
- C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016).
- Mazal MUALEM: "'Hate wedding' video offers glimpse at Jewish terror" (Al-Monitor, Dec 28, 2015).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Catastrophe for Syrians and Palestinians alike in war-ravaged country" (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2015).
- Shlomi ELDAR: "Why the US is part of Middle East problem, not the solution". Interview with Ayman Odeh (Al-Monitor, Dec 14, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "Obama’s ISIS czar says we can’t defeat extremism without resolving Palestinian issue" (Mondoweiss, Dec 14, 2015).
- Uri SAVIR: "How the Islamic State hurts Palestinian cause" (Al-Monitor, Dec 6, 2015).
- Al Jazeera: "Gaza's crumbling healthcare system" (Yahoo.com, Dec 8, 2015).
- Nurit CANETTI: "The radicalization of Israel" (Al-Monitor, Dec 2, 2015).
- Kate: "Prominent Israeli settler runs over 16-year-old girl, then shoots her dead" (Mondoweiss, Nov 23, 2015).
- Gideon LEVY: "So These Are Israel's New Heroes?" Israel's recent military operations in Palestinian hospitals are a blatant violation of the Geneva Convention, and make you wonder how low the country can sink (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "The best way for Americans to defeat the Islamic state is to end support for Jewish nationalism" (Mondoweiss, Nov 15, 2015).
- Ahmed MOOR: "The Problem of Palestine is Zionism" (Fair Observer, Nov 11, 2015).
- Miko PELED: "Zionism is racism: Notes from Tel-Rumeida, Hebron, El-Khalil" (American Herald Tribune, Nov 13, 2015).
- Megan HANNA: "‘It Has Become A Prison’: The ghettoization of Hebron" (Mondoweiss, Nov 11, 2015).
- Avigail ABARBANEL: "Netanyahu’s craziness is calculated, to drive out Palestinians" (Mondoweiss, Nov 5, 2015).
- Michel WARSCHAWSKI: "La jeunesse palestinienne à couteaux tirés avec Israël" (Orient XXI, 15 Oct 2015).
- Kamel HAWWASH: "Palestinians have a problem with occupiers not (with) Jews" (MEMO, Oct 30, 2015).
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Israel’s executions of Palestinian teens must end, Amnesty says" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 28, 2015).
- Killian REDDEN: "Hebron at eye of the storm as death toll rises" (Ma'an News Agency, Oct 26, 2015).
- "Netanyahu Shamelessly Exploits the Shoah to Stoke Fear of Palestinians" (Jewish Voice for Peace, Oct 21, 2015).
- Amos GVIRTZ: "From Unilateral- to Bilateral War - or: How the Palestinians Fight to Prevent Being Expelled From the Country" (Occupation Magazine, Oct 20, 2015).
- Noam SHEIZAF: "Jerusalem, in context" (+972, October 19, 2015). "The current events in Jerusalem have a political history and context. Attempts to attribute the violence to some kind of Palestinian pathology while ignoring other factors is a recipe for making things worse."
- Meron RAPOPORT: "The paradox of Jerusalem" (Middle East Eye, October 17, 2015).
- Hatem BAZIAN: "Palestine's Wound" (Medium, October 18, 2015).
- Robert COHEN: "Israel gets away with it because it is a global arms supplier — Jeff HALPER" (Mondoweiss, October 15, 2015).
- David HEARST: "A new intifada for a new generation" (Middle East Eye, October 12, 2015).
- Gideon LEVY: "Israel's Lawless Death Penalty Without Trial Buoyed by Cheers of the Masses". "In this way, one of the main reasons for this uprising’s eruption is demonstrated - the dehumanization of the Palestinians, whose life and death are worthless to the Israelis" (Haaretz, October 11, 2015).
- Odeh BISHARAT: "Even the Brighter Side of Israel Demands Execution Without Trial". In Israel, the occupation is embraced in almost every home. It's no wonder that cop shot the woman with the knife so quickly (Haaretz, 11 October 2015).
- Peter BEAUMONT: "Israeli occupation is root cause of Palestine conflict, says Marwan Barghouti". Jailed Palestinian leader calls on international community to tackle root cause of violence between Palestinians and Israelis (The Guardian, 11 October 2015).
- Noam SHEIZAF: "Israel still holds all the cards" (+972, 11 October 2015).
- Sawsan KHALIFE': "The heavy price of segregation and occupation" (+972, 9 October 2015).
- Peter BEAUMONT: "Is a third Palestinian intifada on the way – or has it already begun?" Violence is escalating but it is not yet clear whether Palestinian society is united in a desire for another prolonged period of unrest (The Guardian, 5 October 2015).
- Jesse RUBIN: "Throwing stones is part of Palestine’s struggle" (The Electronic Intifada, 5 October 2015).
- Meron RAPOPORT: "Netanyahu faces possible civil war" (Middle East Eye, 5 October 2015).
- Nasim AHMED: "With the rise of settler terrorism, can Israel still be described as a rational political actor?" (Middle East Monitor, 3 October 2015).
- Sharif NASHASHIBI: "At the UN, Abbas wastes another opportunity for Palestine" (Middle East Eye, 1 October 2015).
- Sarah CHAMPION: "Gaza Is a Horrific Humanitarian Disaster That We Cannot Allow to Continue" (Huffington Post UK, 24/9/2015).
- Rosemary SAYIGH: "The Price of Statelessness: Palestinian Refugees From Syria" (al-shabaka.org, 15 May 2013).
- "Al-Aqsa, la révolte impuissante". "Alain Gresh et René Backmann analysent la dynamique de la violence à l’œuvre à Jérusalem-Est et l’intensification de la politique de judaïsation de la ville" (Association France Palestine Solidarité, 16 septembre 2015).