Belgian Academics and Artists for Palestine
Academic Bulletin N° 13 (November 7, 2022): click here! ------ Culture Newsletter N° 73 (Autumn 2022): click here!
| || |
Solidarité: Déclaration de principe
Nous, universitaires et artistes vivant en Belgique, sommes pleinement solidaires du peuple palestinien et de sa résistance contre les politiques colonialistes de dépossession, de remplacement et de destruction de la société, de la culture et de la nature de la Palestine.
Nous nous engageons à intervenir auprès des institutions académiques et culturelles et des autorités belges et européennes pour qu'elles émettent des résolutions et des sanctions de l’État d'Israël pour que soient respectés le droit international et les résolutions de l'ONU sur les droits de l'homme en mettant résolument fin à ses politiques criminelles.
Wij, academici en kunstenaars die in België wonen, zijn volkomen solidair met het Palestijnse volk en zijn verzet tegen Israëls kolonialistische politiek van onteigening, vervanging en vernietiging van Palestina's samenleving, cultuur en natuur.
Solidarity: Statement of principle
Wij verbinden ons ertoe tussen te komen bij academische en culturele instellingen en bij de Belgische en Europese autoriteiten opdat zij resoluties en sancties zouden uitvaardigen tegen de Staat Israël. Om ervoor te zorgen dat het internationaal recht en de VN-resoluties inzake mensenrechten worden nageleefd, dient resoluut een einde te worden gesteld aan Israëls misdadige politiek.
We, academics and artists living in Belgium, are in full solidarity with the Palestinian people and its resistance to Israel's colonialist policy of dispossession, replacement and destruction of Palestine's society, culture and nature.
We undertake to intervene with academic and cultural institutions and with the Belgian and European authorities so that they would issue resolutions and sanctions against the State of Israel. To ensure compliance with international law and UN resolutions on human rights, Israel's criminal policies must be resolutely stopped.
The State of Affairs after the Israeli Elections of November 1, 2022:
It shouldn't have been a big surprise, Ilan Pappé> writes, "to wake up on the morning of 2 November to find out that the Israeli government and Knesset would now be run by a dominant majority of nationalistic religious Jews, Zionists and hardline politicians who have previously advocated official ethnic-cleansing and shoot-to-kill policies against Palestinians."
Or formulated more extensively by Jeff Halper: "The most surprising thing about the Israeli elections is the surprise and 'disappointment' expressed by liberal Zionists, in Israel and abroad. “How could this happen?” Shock at “the most right-wing government in Israel’s history.” As if anything has really changed except that Israelis no longer feel the need to dress up their settler regime in liberal, “democratic” terms. The fact that people are surprised means either that they have never grasped the meaning of Zionism – a case of mass self-delusion – or that they are embarrassed by the public exposure of their violent Judaization of Palestine. In fact, the outcome of the elections was a natural consequence of the Zionist enterprise - indeed, the very culmination to which Israelis have aspired since 1948 (and well before). From its very beginning some 130 years ago, Zionism has been up-front over its intent to Judaize Palestine. To displace the indigenous population and replace it with Jews. To turn an Arab country into a Jewish one. To transform Palestine into Israel. Casting Zionism as a settler colonial enterprise is not merely an academic exercise; it explains the necessary and ongoing violence of conquest, displacement, land grabbing and ultimate repression, if not elimination, of another people whose very presence poses a challenge to exclusivist Jewish national claims to Palestine."
[Ilan PAPPÉ, "Israel's new government pushes country towards the precipice" (Middle East Eye, November 16, 2022); Jeff HALPER, “Reports on the Israeli Elections“ (ICAHD, November 5, 2022).
Calls, Contributions & Denunciations:
Addameer - Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association (November 29, 2022) :
This International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, Addameer calls on the international community to demonstrate support for Palestinian political prisoners, both directly with the actions of the Palestinian Prisoner Movement, as well as through demanding an end to the Israeli occupation authorities’ arbitrary policies and practices of deprivation of liberty; administrative detention, inhumane prison conditions and a crackdown on civil society activism, all of which serve to construct and maintain the Israeli apartheid regime...Full text (with the list of organizations, in pdf, 7p.): click here!
Adalah - The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel (24 November 2022 (pdf, 106p.) :
"Manasra, a resident of East Jerusalem, began serving a nine-and-a-half-year prison sentence as a minor, at the age of 14, after being convicted of attempted murder in an incident that took place when he was 13 years old. During his time in prison, Manasra’s, mental health has severely deteriorated and he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. According to doctors, Manasra’s condition requires immediate specialist medical attention outside prison..."
#FreeAhmadManasra (change.org, Nov 29: 440,156 have signed).
Independent Jewish Voices (October, 2022, pdf, 106p.) :
"(This Report) is the first broad and detailed examination of the experiences of faculty and students whose work is critical of the policies of Israel toward Palestine and Palestinians or who actively attempt to change those policies through their support of of BDS and opposition to the adoption of the IHRA definition. While focused primarily on Canada, the report briefly touches on the experiences faced by European academics, artists, and students who publicly support Palestinian rights..."
(Gisha, July 28, 2022) :
Palestinian residents of Gaza attest to the bureaucratic violence inherent in Israel’s permit regime. The bureaucracy developed by Israel to control the Palestinian population living under occupation puts millions of people at the mercy of decisions made by Israeli military authorities and security agencies. It is an invisible, insidious system which permeates every aspect of day-to-day life, yet it rarely, if ever, makes headlines or captures public attention.
Academy Against Israel Scholasticide
- Hamoked Center for the Defence of the Individual: "New Israeli Procedure on Entry of Foreigners to the West Bank" (Briefing paper September 2022): click here!
Interference with Palestinian Civil Society and Academic Freedom:
In the new procedure, the Israeli Defense Ministry gives itself the prerogative to set academic qualifications for lecturers. Faculty and student visas can only be renewed for a maximum of 27 months, and then a person would have to leave the West Bank before applying for a new visa. There is no possibility to offer tenure to foreign faculty, as after a cumulative stay of five years, a foreign lecturer must remain abroad for nine months before they can re-enter the West Bank... It should also be noted that this procedure would not apply to foreigners who wish to travel to Israeli settlements in the West Bank. For example, foreign lecturers and students at Ariel University in the Ariel settlement will continue to be governed by the much more lenient regulations set by Israel’s Ministry of Interior.
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "“Racial engineering” behind Israel’s new West Bank entry restrictions" (The Electronic Intifada, 26 Sept, 2022): click here!
The 97-page procedure serves Israel’s “racial engineering” of the population in the West Bank “within the framework of its apartheid regime, which constitutes a crime against humanity,” according to a coalition of Palestinian human rights groups... Those seeking to work or study in the West Bank “must apply for an entry visa 45, 60, or even up to 153 days before arrival as well as provide an extensive questionnaire on their CV [resume], and any familial or spousal connections in the West Bank,” according to the coalition of rights groups.
- Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council (PHROC): "International Community Must Take Prompt and Concrete Measures to Halt Israel’s New Procedure for Entry and Residence of Foreigners in the West Bank" (Al Mezan, 8 Sept, 2022): click here!
The Israeli occupying authorities have imposed further restrictions on the entry of foreign nationals and Palestinians who hold foreign passports and wish to work, volunteer, join their Palestinian family members or act in solidarity with the Palestinian people in the oPt. The constraints of the new procedure, which was published on 4 September 2022 and will enter into force on 20 October 2022, also apply to foreign nationals whose work requires that they stay for any length of time in the West Bank (excluding occupied Jerusalem).
- Neve Gordon: « Palestinian universities are once again under attack » (AlJazeera, July 15, 2022): click here!
And as they fight for their survival under apartheid rule, they are receiving no real solidarity from their Israeli counterparts. Later this month, the Israeli authorities are expected to put into effect a 97-page ordinance, called "Procedure for Entry and Residence for Foreigners in Judea and Samaria Area", which would grant the Israeli Ministry of Defence and thus, the military, absolute power to determine how many and which foreign academics and students can visit, study or work at all 15 Palestinian universities and colleges in the West Bank... In an arguably unprecedented move, the General Assembly of the Hebrew University sent an official letter to the Israeli military commander of the West Bank, emphasising the problematic restrictions set out in the procedure...
- « Academic Freedom & Palestinian Universities in the Occupied West Bank. » Letter to the Israeli authorities by Adalah: The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel (English translation, Adalah's News, 30 June 2022, pdf, 10p.): click here!
Over the past two months, Adalah's team has worked to protect Palestinians on both sides of the Green Line against Israel's growing attempts to restrict and control their education systems, in violation of their rights to education, freedom of expression and self-determination. Adalah sent a letter on behalf of Birzeit University to the Attorney General and the Israeli army on 26 May 2022 demanding that the procedures be amended and that many of the restrictions be lifted, and to allow Palestinian universities to submit applications for residence permits for foreign lecturers and students rather than requiring individuals to make requests. Israeli universities enjoy wide institutional autonomy and decision-making power in recruiting foreign academic staff and in accepting foreign students, and facilitating their entry and stay.
- BZU CALL TO ACTION: “BIRZEIT UNIVERSITY REJECTS ISRAELI MEASURES AGAINST ACADEMIC FREEDOM” (BZU, March 12, 2022): click here! Version in pdf: click here!
Birzeit University rejects Israel’s most recent attempt to constrict the fundamental right of Palestinians to education and to undermine the academic freedom and autonomy of Palestinian universities. Scheduled to take effect in May, 2022, the “Procedure for Entry and Residency of Foreigners in Judea and Samaria Region” grants Israeli military immense powers to isolate Palestinian universities from the outside world, and to determine the future course of Palestinian higher education. The new directive invests the Israeli military the absolute right to select which international faculty, academic researchers and students may be present at Palestinian universities, as well as impose their own arbitrary criteria on which fields of study are permissible and what qualifications are acceptable.
- "Atteintes graves à la liberté académique en Palestine" (Le Soir, le 6 avril, 2022): click here!
L’Université palestinienne Birzeit, en Cisjordanie, s’inquiète d’une nouvelle procédure du ministère israélien de la défense qui entrera en vigueur à partir du mois de mai. Cette procédure permettra à l’armée israélienne de décider quels professeurs et étudiants, et en quel nombre, pourront venir chaque année enseigner ou étudier dans les universités palestiniennes. « Il s’agit d’une violation du droit à l’éducation », selon l’appel lancé par l’Université de Birzeit.
- “Letter protesting new Israel Government directive regarding selection of international scholars and students to teach and study in Palestinian Universities ” (MESA, April 5, 2022): click here!
"Dear Prime Minister, Ministers, Brigadier-General, and Chief Clerk, We write to you on behalf of the Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA) to protest Israel’s recently released directive, “Procedure for Entry and Residency of Foreigners in Judea and Samaria Region,” scheduled to take effect as policy in May 2022. Released by COGAT (Coordination of Government Activities in the Territories), the policy vests the Israeli military with the unilateral power to select and exclude international faculty, academic researchers, and students who wish to teach, study, and conduct research at Palestinian universities. We regard this as both an attempt to isolate Palestinian scholars and students from the international scholarly community and a form of censorship aimed at constraining the freedom of speech and association of international academics and students by denying them access to and engagement with Palestinian scholars and students, as well as professional and educational opportunities at Palestinian universities. We condemn this proposed policy in the strongest terms as a clear escalation of the persistent efforts of your government to deny Palestinians the right to education."
- “Stop de Israëlische belegering van Palestijnse universiteiten” (MO*, 31 maart 2022): click here!
De Palestijnse Birzeit Universiteit op de Westelijke Jordaanoever is bezorgd om een nieuwe procedure van het Israëlische ministerie van Defensie (COGAT) die vanaf mei ingaat. Die zou strenger gaan beoordelen welke en hoeveel docenten en studenten jaarlijks aan Palestijnse universiteiten mogen komen lesgeven of studeren. ‘Een inbreuk op het recht op onderwijs is dit’, klinkt het. Belgische academici ondersteunen de oproep.
- “Statement on Israel’s Latest Repression of Palestinian Universities” (USACBI, March, 2022): click here!
We express our strong opposition to Israel’s most recent attempt to restrict Palestinian rights to education and to undermine the freedom and autonomy of Palestinian academic institutions. Scheduled to take effect in May 2022, the “Procedure for Entry and Residency of Foreigners in Judea and Samaria Region” grants the Israeli military absolute powers to select which international faculty, academic researchers and students can be admitted to teach or study at Palestinian universities. Under this law, Israeli authorities will be in the position of determining which fields of study are permissible and what qualifications are acceptable. Further, it requires applicants to submit to Israeli investigation at diplomatic missions in countries of origin. Finally, it sets a limit on the number of foreign teachers and students (100 and 150 per year, respectively) and limits the duration of employment to five non-consecutive years, effectively denying the hiring and promotion of faculty, and with immediate effects for current faculty and students who do not hold residency permits. This includes many Palestinians, who will lose their jobs, their access to education, and their rights to live in their homeland. The new directive also would effectively end all student exchanges. In short, it is an all-out assault on Palestinian academic freedom and collaborative intellectual exchange. In the words of Birzeit University, it “puts Palestinian Universities under siege and divests them of basic control over their academic decisions."
- Haaretz Editorial: "Resist Israel's Academic Occupation of the Palestinians" (Haaretz, March 10, 2022): click here!
An officer in the Defense Ministry’s Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories will soon rule that a certain college instructor, a U.S. citizen, cannot enter the West Bank to teach at a university in Jenin because her area of expertise is not an “essential field” for Palestinians. The field will be determined in accordance with a COGAT ruling.
- Nasim AHMED: "Israel deciding who can teach at Palestinian universities is another nail on the apartheid regime" (MEMo, March 10, 2022): click here!
- Amira HASS: "À Israël de décider pour les Palestiniens quels enseignants étrangers peuvent enseigner dans les universités de Cisjordanie" (Haaretz, trad. AURDIP, 10 mars 2022): cliquez-ici!
Un ensemble de procédures publié par le ministère de la Défense impose de nouvelles restrictions sur la sélection de qui peut entrer, travailler et rester en Cisjordanie. Israël permettra aux institutions palestiniennes d’enseignement supérieur d’employer des enseignants venus de l’étranger seulement s’ils enseignent dans des domaines qui ont été désignés comme essentiels par Israël et seulement si ces enseignants et chercheurs sont accomplis et possèdent au moins un doctorat, selon un nouvel ensemble de procédures du ministre de la Défense.
- Mohammed NAJIB: "Palestinian students, professors report harm of Israeli restrictions on campus" (Arab News, March 9, 2022): click here!
Birzeit University hosts between 10 to 15 visiting professors, and all of them face the problem of visa renewals.
- Amira HASS: " Israel to Decide for Palestinians Which Foreign Lecturers Can Teach at West Bank Universities. A set of procedures published by the Defense Ministry puts further restrictions on who can enter, work and stay in the West Bank" (Haaretz, March 8, 2022): click here!
Israel will permit Palestinian institutions of higher education to employ lecturers from overseas only if they teach in fields that have been designated as essential by Israel, and only if the lecturers and researchers are accomplished and possess at least a doctorate, according to a new set of procedures by the Defense Ministry.
- Adalah: “Israel forcing international lecturers out of West Bank Palestinian universities” (Adalah, April 20, 2021): click here!
Birzeit University, Adalah, Al-Haq now fighting to end escalating discriminatory Israeli policy aimed at preventing international academics from staying in the West Bank and refusing to renew visas for those with teaching contracts .
- "Birzeit University continues to lose international faculty as Israel persists in discriminatory policy" (BirZeit University, Nov 14, 2019): click here!
Heightened restrictions on Birzeit University's right to hire and maintain international faculty persist into the 2019-2020 academic year. Israel has escalated what can only be understood as a policy whose ultimate goal is the elimination of any international faculty presence at Palestinian universities. Our 14,800 students returned to classes on 4 September with a third of their international faculty missing, the Israeli authorities having denied them entry or forced their departure by refusing them any viable means to stay in the country or return. The status of international faculty able to make it to campus remains extremely precarious; 60% have lapsed or only short-term visas due to expire before the end of the first semester. In short, except for a handful of instructorsunder foreign government fellowships or programs, all of our international faculty currently in the country are under constant threat of deportation.
- Amira HASS: "Israel is turning Palestinian students into criminals" (+972, Oct 11, 2019): click here!
According to data collected by Right to Education, a grassroots campaign aimed at defending education in Palestine, Israeli forces have detained at least 64 university students since the start of this year. A spokesperson at Addameer, a Palestinian prisoners’ rights organization, told +972 that Israel has been targeting an increasing number of Palestinian students since the start of 2019. There are currently 260 Palestinian high school and university students in Israeli prisons. Of the 18 Birzeit students who were arrested in August, Israel has released only three.
- Jaclynn ASHLEY: "Israel is turning Palestinian students into criminals" (+972, Oct 11, 2019): click here!
According to data collected by Right to Education, a grassroots campaign aimed at defending education in Palestine, Israeli forces have detained at least 64 university students since the start of this year. A spokesperson at Addameer, a Palestinian prisoners’ rights organization, told +972 that Israel has been targeting an increasing number of Palestinian students since the start of 2019. There are currently 260 Palestinian high school and university students in Israeli prisons. Of the 18 Birzeit students who were arrested in August, Israel has released only three.
- Amira HASS: “Israeli university heads say won’t intervene in discrimination against Palestinian schools" (Haaretz, Aug 28, 2019): click here!
Committee says refusal to grant visas to guest lecturers is not in its purview. Hundreds of academics ask top officials to match guidelines at West Bank institutions to those at Israeli ones.
- David PALUMBO-LIU: "Israel’s restrictions on international academics at Palestinian universities must be opposed" (Times Higher Education, July 27, 2019): click here!
While the denial of visas to international scholars might seem a small inconvenience by comparison, put into the context of the overall weakened conditions of Palestinian schools and universities, as well as the totality of deprivation the Palestinians suffer under, it is a terrible thing indeed. The international community, especially the international academic community, needs to wake up.
- Amira HASS: "Israel's Academy for Indifference" (Haaretz, July 15, 2019): click here!
Why should Israeli professors and students care that their country is subverting the academic freedom of Palestinian universities and interfering with their hiring of foreign lecturers? This routine Israeli interference with the ordinary life of Palestinian universities doesn’t interest presidents, faculty deans or senior lecturers of Israeli universities, nor their student population. Their voices are not heard despite the fact that the meddling of the Interior Ministry and the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories in granting visas to academics and students headed for the Palestinian enclaves began long ago, and has only exacerbated over the last three years.
- Amira HASS: "As Israel Tightens Entry Rules, Foreign Lecturers at Palestinian Universities Forced to Leave" (Haaretz, July 13, 2019): click here!
Short-term tourist visas and refusals to extend them are routine obstacles, but the West Bank's Birzeit University is now fighting back... Israel's scholasticide policies are clearly driven by "the desire to weaken our institutions and destroy the Palestinian future. When they fight against the quality of the Palestinian academic institution, they’re weakening our future”.
- BZU, Adalah & Al-Haq: "Israel forcing international lecturers out of West Bank Palestinian universities" (July 11, 2019): click here!
Birzeit University, Adalah, Al-Haq are now fighting to end escalating discriminatory Israeli policy aimed at preventing international academics from staying in the West Bank and refusing to renew visas for those with teaching contracts. In a letter sent on 30 April 2019 to Israeli Interior Minister Aryeh Deri, Israeli Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit, Israeli Chief Military Advocate General Sharon Afek, and the Israeli military's Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) Kamil Abu Rokon, Birzeit University, Al-Haq, and Adalah demand that Israel: lift the restrictions preventing international academics employed by Birzeit University from staying and working in the West Bank; refrain from imposing arbitrary restrictions on the duration of stay or extension of stay for international academics; order the publication of a clear and lawful procedure for issuing entry visas and work permits for international academics in the West Bank, which will enable the university to manage and maintain its academic freedom. Adalah Deputy General Director Attorney Sawsan Zaher, who drafted the letter to Israeli authorities, said: "Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip – like all other peoples around the world – are entitled to exercise their right to academic freedom as part of their right to self-determination. The Israeli military occupation cannot prevent Palestinians from exercising this right". Indeed, according to the interpretation applied to Article 43 of the Hague Regulations of 1907, sovereignty of education does not change hands - it is inalienable - and must remain in the hands of the occupied Palestinian population.
- Brendan O'MALLEY: "Israel 'blocks international academics' in West Bank, Gaza" (University World News, 11 July 2019): click here!
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israel isolates Palestinian universities" (The Electronic Intifada, 11 July 2019): click here!
Israel is isolating Palestinian universities by forcing international scholars to leave their academic positions in the occupied West Bank. Two Palestinian human rights groups, as well as Birzeit University, are calling on Israel to lift restrictions preventing international academics from working in the West Bank and to publish “a clear and lawful procedure for issuing entry visas and work permits.” Israel’s policy of denying internationals entry to the West Bank, as well as refusing and failing to process visa extension applications in a timely manner, has affected dozens of scholars working at Palestinian universities.
- Yumna PATEL: "Palestinian universities fight back against Israel forcing international academics out of the country" (Mondoweiss, 11 July 2019): click here!
Birzeit, which has ranked within the top three percent of universities worldwide, is fighting back. The highly acclaimed university, hand in hand with legal rights groups Adalah and Al-Haq, is "demanding an immediate halt to this policy targeting Palestinian academic freedom and isolating Palestinian institutions of higher learning," the groups said in a press release on Thursday. "Blocking our right to engage international academics is part of an ongoing effort by the Israeli occupation to marginalize Palestinian institutions of higher education," Birzeit University President Abdullatif Abuhijleh said in a statement. "The latest escalation in visa restrictions is just one in a longstanding and systematic Israeli policy of undermining the independence and viability of Palestinian higher education institutions."
- Adalah: "Letter Re: Canceling visa restrictions on foreign academics hired to teach at Birzeit University" (Adalah, April 30, 2019, pdf, 9p.): click here!
Letter sent to: Mr. Avichai Mandelblit, Attorney General of Israel, Mr. Kamil Abu Rokon, Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, Mr. Sharon Afek, Chief Military Advocate General, Mr. Aryeh Deri, Minister of Interior.
- Judith E.TUCKER: "MESA: Israeli Arrests of Palestinian Students and Professors, Israeli Assaults on Palestinian Campuses" (Informed Comment, Jan 25, 2019): click here!
Dear Prime Minister, Ministers, and Major, We write to you on behalf of the Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA) to urge a halt to the Israeli army and security forces conducting arbitrary arrests at and incursions into Palestinian universities, assaulting students, faculty, and staff, and obstructing the education of thousands of students. We also condemn in the strongest possible terms the Israeli Army’s harm to students at all levels of education through these arrests and incursions.
- American University of Beirut (AUB): "Announcement" (Office of the President, Jan 24 2019, pdf): click here!
Earlier in January, the university was informed by representatives of the US government that students from the West Bank and Gaza would no longer be eligible for comprehensive scholarships under its US - Middle East Partnership Initiative - Tomorrow’s Leaders (MEPI-TL) program and that their funding would cease effectively January 31, 2019. It was explained that suspension of assistance to all projects in the Palestinian Authority and to citizens of those areas was an unintended consequence of the Anti-Terrorism Clarification Act of 2018 (ATCA) passed by Congress on October 3 last year.
- Sari BASHI: "Israel's truthiness on Palestinian academic freedom" (+972, Jan 13, 2019): click here!
In denying that Israel limits academic freedom in Palestine, the Israeli embassy in Washington seems to forget about the Palestinian students and academics whose movement it restricts.
- Or KASHTI: "Israeli Ministry Fails to Offer Arabic Preparatory Course for University Entrance Exam" (Haaretz, Jan 2, 2019): click here!
Ministry promised online course would 'give equal opportunity for all citizens,' but rights group says it 'perpetuates gaps' by putting Arabs at a disadvantage.
- "Israeli Forces Raid Al-Quds University" (The Palestine Chronicle, Dec 12, 2018): click here!
Israeli forces raided the al-Quds University, on Wednesday, in Abu Dis village, southeast of the central occupied West Bank district of Jerusalem. Local sources confirmed that a large number of heavily armed Israeli forces raided the campus, ransacking several faculties and offices, causing material damages.
- Robert BOYCE, "Scholasticide: Israel's attempt to destroy Palestine's universities" (BRICUP, Nov 2018, pdf, 9p.): click here!
Supporters of the academic boycott of Israel are frequently told it's wrong in principle to boycott universities since they are bastions of free speech, and it's downright perverse to boycott Israeli universities since they are islands of liberal opinion in an otherwise reactionary country...
- Sophia BROWN, "Israel's assault on Palestinian universities is a threat to human rights and a tragedy for this generation of students" (The Independent, Oct 21, 2018): click here!
Palestine has had to contend with Israel's systematic obstruction of education: from enforced closures, campus raids, and the oppression of individual students and teachers, including arbitrary arrests and detention without trial.
- "Fobzu joins with education unions in calling on the UK government to stand up for Palestinian universities" (Friends of Birzeit University, Oct 15, 2018): click here!
On Monday 15th October, Fobzu and representatives of the major education unions – including UCU, NEU, NASUWT, EIS and UNISON – wrote to Minister of State for the Middle East, The Rt Hon Alistair Burt MP to call on the UK government to stand up for Palestinian students and educators. Responding to the growing restrictions on foreign national faculty working at universities in the occupied West Bank, we raised our collective concern about the declining access to the occupied Palestinian territory and the impact this is having on Palestinian education.
- "Campagne menée dans les universités belges en solidarité avec l'Université de BirZeit: Lettre modèle envoyée aux recteurs belges" (2018, pdf, 6p.): click here!
"Monsieur le Recteur, Au nom des signataires de la présente lettre je vous fais part d'un appel à bien vouloir entendre et diffuser le plus largement possible le cri d'alarme émanant de l'Université de Birzeit,...".
- "Campagne aan de Belgische universiteiten in solidariteit met BirZeit University: Brief toegezonden aan de Vlaamse rectoren" (27 september 2018, pdf, 7p.): click here!
"Geachte Rectoren, In naam van de ondergetekenden sturen wij u een oproep om aan de noodkreet vanuit de Palestijnse Birzeit Universiteit gehoor en weerklank te geven en een krachtig signaal uit te sturen tegen het feit dat de Israëlische autoriteiten de universiteiten en hogescholen in de Bezette Palestijnse Gebieden steeds verder internationaal isoleren en aldus de academische vrijheid van onze collega’s beknotten...."
- "Belgian academic campaign in solidarity with Birzeit University: Letter sent to the Belgian university presidents" (form letter, draft, pdf, 7p.): click here!
"Dear President, On behalf of the endorsers of this letter, we would like to urge you to access and disseminate as widely as possible the urgent call from Birzeit University, and to send a strong signal against the alarming academic isolation imposed by the Israeli authorities on Palestinian universities in the Occupied Territories."
- "Letter from BRISMES protesting against Israeli violations of Palestinian academic freedom" (BRISMES): click here!
"Dear Prime Minister and Ministers, I am writing on behalf of the British Society for Middle East Studies (BRISMES) to protest against Israeli violations of Palestinian academic freedom..." (The letter) has been forwarded to Prof. Ghassan Khatib at Birzeit university to support its campaign of protest against the enforced departure of academics from Palestinian campuses
- Raja SHEHADEH, "Israeli restrictions on overseas academics are holding Palestinian universities back" (The World University Rankings, Sept 13, 2018): click here!
A labyrinthine visa process and perverse decision-making are making life increasingly untenable for non-Palestinian academics.
- MESA, Committee on Academic Freedom: "Arbitrary demands on foreign national academics working in Palestinian universities" (MESA, Aug 6, 2018): click here!
"Dear Prime Minister and Ministers, We write to you on behalf of the Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA) to express our dismay regarding the severe and unreasonable limitations imposed on foreign nationals who are faculty members at Birzeit University (BZU) and other Palestinian universities in the West Bank and Gaza...".
- Daphna GOLAN, "The Destruction of Palestinian Universities" (Palestinian Christian Alliance for Peace, July 29, 2018): click here!
Destroying Palestinian Universities. Foreign lecturers as well as Palestinian lecturers who studied or taught abroad are being expelled from West Bank academic institutes with a form of bureaucratic violence.
- "Call to Action by Academic Networks, Global Civil Society & Individuals, August 2018" (Right to Enter, pdf): click here!
"We call on concerned individuals, organizations and networks to intensify their efforts to advocate for Palestinians' fundamental right to education and academic freedom as well as the right freedom of movement and to hold the governments of Israel, third States and the Palestinian National Authority to their respective obligations under international humanitarian law and international human rights law".
- Rania ZABANEH, "Foreign residents in Palestinian territories denied visa renewals" (Al-Jazeera, July 13, 2018): click here!
Israel is increasingly rejecting applications to renew residency visas and families face being split up. Four suitcases, memories of 35 years and a hope to meet friends again, in Palestine, are what US citizens Roger Heacock and Laura Wick are leaving Ramallah with. The couple arrived to Palestine in 1983, initially planning to stay for a few years in solidarity. But they ended up with a family and a career here: Heacock is a renowned history professor and Wick is a midwife and health researcher at Birzeit University.
- "Birzeit University condemns breach of academic freedom after academics forced to leave Palestine" (BZU, July 12, 2018): click here!
Since the beginning of the current academic year (2017-2018), scores of foreign passport holders, many of Palestinian origin but without residence documents, living and working in the occupied Palestinian territory have been denied entry in the country, or have had their visa renewal applications refused by the Israeli authorities. At Birzeit University alone, we have 15 foreign passport-holding faculty members whose requests for visa renewals have been refused or significantly delayed. Contact: Ghassan Khatib.
- Ruhan NAGRA: “Academia Undermined: Israeli Restrictions on Foreign National Academics in Palestinian Higher Education Institutions.” Field research by Ruhan Nagra. (Right to Enter, May 2013, pdf, 24 pp.): click here!
This report focuses on only one of the many problems related to movement and access restrictions that affect the quality of and access to education in the occupied Palestinian territories (oPt): the implications of Israeli restrictions on entry and residency for foreign academics wishing to serve at institutes of higher education operating in the oPt. It is important to note that the term “foreign” is something of a misnomer: Israel treats all individuals without an Israeli-issued identity card [“hawiyya”] as a foreigner even if they are of Palestinian origin and even if they and/or their parents are born in Palestine. Thus “foreign” academics refers to anyone who does not hold a Palestinian identity card and must therefore enter the oPt on a foreign passport regardless of whether or not they are of Palestinian origin. “Foreign” academics or “foreign” nationals could therefore be of Palestinian origin (as is frequently the case) or have no Palestinian roots.
- “Scholasticide” – the systematic destruction by Israeli forces of centres of education" (RIGHT2EDUCATION, Birzeit University, January 10, 2009): click here!
A new word emerged from the carnage in Gaza this week: “scholasticide” – the systematic destruction by Israeli forces of centres of education dear to Palestinian society, as the ministry of education was bombed, the infrastructure of teaching destroyed, and schools across the Gaza strip targeted for attack by the air, sea and ground offensives. “Learn, baby, learn” was a slogan of the black rights movement in America’s ghettoes a generation ago, but it also epitomises the idea of education as the central pillar of Palestinian identity – a traditional premium on schooling steeled by occupation, and something the Israelis “cannot abide… and seek to destroy”, according to Dr Karma Nabulsi, who teaches politics at St Edmund Hall, Oxford.
Actions, Campaigns, Petitions
- Basil AL-ADRAA: "Hamas’ landslide student election win marks major shift in Palestinian politics"" (+972, May 31, 2022): click here!
The Islamist movement's stunning victory in Birzeit University’s student union vote reflects growing discontent with the West Bank's ruling Fatah party. - The annual elections at Birzeit are widely regarded as a reflection of the broader political mood in the Palestinian street in the occupied West Bank. The university did not hold elections for two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, making this the first round since 2019. Out of around 12,500 students at the university, four out of five voted in the latest elections, held on May 18, with the voter turnout similar to the rounds in previous years.
- Petition: "Academics: Israel must allow Gaza students to travel abroad" (Gisha petition, action closed): click here!
To the Government of Israel, According to information received from the human rights organization Gisha, it has come to our attention that since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic in March 2020, Israel has blocked Palestinian students from Gaza from exiting the Strip via Erez Crossing to reach academic studies abroad. As faculty members at academic institutions around the world, we strongly oppose this infringement on students’ fundamental rights. We call on the Government of Israel to take immediate action to allow students to exit Gaza via Erez Crossing. Access to education is a fundamental human right. Access to higher education, in all academic fields, is a prerequisite for young people to develop personal and professional skills, expand their horizons, and realize their personal ambitions.
- "Call for Action: Protect Ras Al'uja School from Demolition!" Palestinian Grassroots Anti-apartheid Wall Campaign (Sept 28, 2020): click here!
As across the world schools are slowly opening again after COVID19 lockdowns, we call on you to ensure in Palestine schools are not demolished. Palestinians are sounding the alarm over the potential demolition of a newly built school in Ras Al'uja Bedouin community, the Jordan Valley, by the Israeli occupation authorities.
- "Bundestag 3 for Palestine (BT3P): Our Principles" (Bundestag 3 für Palästina, 2 Oct, 2020): click here!
"Who we are. We, the Bundestag 3 for Palestine (#BT3P), have sued the Bundestag of the Federal Republic of Germany. In this policy paper, we would like to explain how this came about, why this step was necessary and what you can do to support our initiative."
- "Letter from European researchers and academics concerning Israel's participation in Horizon Europe" (ECCP, June 16, 2020): click here!
"As both professionals directly involved in research and members of civil society, we appeal to the EU to mobilize all diplomatic means to pressure Israel to comply with International Law. The move to unilateral annexation is the decisive act of defiance that should be met with sanctions, not with words. In the face of the imminent threat of annexation that would formally establish Israeli sovereignty over stolen territories, we reiterate that the EU should exclude Israel from EU Research Programmes, suspend the EU-Israel Association Agreement and implement a comprehensive arms embargo against Israel. Exclusion of Israel and Israeli companies accused of war crimes from the research programmes is the absolute minimum needed as a first measure against Israel’s’ violations of international law. As the exclusion of a country from EU Research Programmes does not require a unanimous decision of the European Council and falls under the responsibility of the European Commission and the Parliament, we urgently appeal to you to uphold justice by implementing this first step which is within your power."
- "Deelname van de Stad Gent aan de VOKA-handelsmissie naar Israël. Aan Schepen Sofie Bracke, Gentse schepen bevoegd voor Economie en Handel, en het Gentse Schepencollege" (Gent, 21 januari 2020, 5 blz.): click here!
"Mevrouw de Schepen, via De Standaard van 15 januari vernamen wij dat u in februari wilt deelnemen, in naam van de Stad Gent, aan een VOKA-handelsmissie naar Israël. Als academici, auteurs en kunstenaars die de Israëlische politiek ten aanzien van de Palestijnse bevolking in de Bezette Gebieden reeds lang kritisch volgen, voelen wij ons genoopt uw participatie aan de VOKA -missie in vraag te stellen..."
- "Palestinian student activists among 23 seized by Israeli occupation forces" (Samidoun, Aug 27, 2019): click here!
Israeli occupation forces seized at least 23 people from their homes on Monday morning, 26 August, including several Palestinian student leaders and activists at Bir Zeit University. They join approximately 60 fellow students at Bir Zeit and over 300 Palestinian students overall held in Israeli prisons. Student activists involved in the elected council or other organizations are particularly targeted for arrest, interrogation and imprisonment; nearly every year, the Bir Zeit student body president is seized by occupation forces and prevented from carrying out his or her term on campus.
- "BDS veroordeelt antisemitische, fascistische krachten in Duitsland en de rest van de wereld" (Palestijns Nationaal BDS Comité, 28 aug 2019): click here!
De BDS-beweging voor Palestijnse rechten veroordeelt in de meest krachtige bewoordingen de opkomende racistische en fascistische groeperingen in Duitsland en in heel Europa. Onze geweldloze beweging verzet zich principieel tegen alle vormen van racisme en rassendiscriminatie, waaronder antisemitisme en islamofobie.
- "Guarantee full freedom of movement for international academics working at Palestinian academic institutions!" (petition, googleform, Academia for Equality): click here!
- "European researchers and academics protest involvement of Israeli arms companies in EU research programs" (ECCP, June 5, 2019): click here!
- "240 Israel and Jewish professors urge Germany not to enforce anti-BDS law" (Middle East Monitor, June 12, 2019): click here!
- "Open letter of Israeli academics and artists warning against equating anti-Zionism with Antisemitism, and against giving Israel immunity for grave violations of human rights and international law" (Nov 2, 2018, pdf, 5p.): click here!
Karel Arnaut (KU Leuven), Marie-Christine Closon (UCLouvain), Patrick Deboosere (VUB), Lieven De Cauter (KU Leuven), Herman De Ley (UGent), Marc De Meyere (UGent), Serge Deruette (UMONS), Lieve Franssen (dirigent Brussels Brecht-Eislerkoor), Michel Gevers (UCLouvain), Carl Gydé (directeur CAMPO), Madeline Lutjeharms (VUB), Perrine Humblet (ULB), Marc Jacquemain (Université de Liège), Raven Ruëll (régisseur), Nozomi Takahashi (UGent), Karin Verelst (VUB/RITCS).
Contact: click here!
(Mondoweiss, May 15, 2020)."Israëlische politieman schiet Palestijnse jongen kogel in het gezicht" (The Rights Forum, 18 feb, 2020).Jonathan OFIR: "Getting away with murder: Why Israeli police left Bedouin teacher to bleed to death in 2017." Some murder cases are so full of lies, that every attempt to hide them from public view only brings more attention to the crime. Such is the case of the extrajudicial execution three years ago of Israeli Bedouin citizen Yaqub Mousa Abu al-Qia’an. (Mondoweiss, March 1, 2020).Amira HASS: "The Trump Plan’s Vision for the Palestinians: Israel’s Security Slave." Direct lines can be seen between the ‘deal of the century,’ the Oslo Accords and their fraudulent implementation, which led to the creation of separate Palestinian enclaves. (Haaretz, Jan 31, 2020)."B’Tselem: Israel soldiers ‘wantonly’ shoot Palestinian children" (Palestine Post24, Dec 18, 2019)."Lost count? Israel killed 43 Palestinians in November" (If Americans Knew, Dec 5, 2019).Jonathan COOK: "Israel prepares to turn Bedouin citizens into refugees in their own country" (Mondoweiss, Oct 16, 2019).A. Daniel ROTH: "Each morning brings the fear of losing everything" (+972, Aug 25, 2019).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "The Protest Dispersed. Then an Israeli Sniper Shot a 9-year-old Boy in the Head" (Haaretz, July 20, 2019, via IAK).Entsar ABU JAHAL: "Plenty of fish in Gaza sea, but not for Palestinians" (Al-Monitor, June 14, 2019).Myriam DEPREZ: "Susiya: The build-and-destroy dance of Israel’s demolitions" (Middle East Monitor, May 10, 2019).OCHA (oPt), "Child labour increasing in Gaza" (OCHA - Monthly Humanitarian Bulletin, April 2019, May 14, 2019).Netta AHITUV, "Endless trip to hell': Israel jails hundreds of Palestinian boys a year. These are their testimonies" (Breaking the Silence via Haaretz, March 16, 2019).Tamara NASSAR: "Israel’s war on its Palestinian citizens" (The Internet Intifada, 26 Feb, 2019).Gideon LEVY: "In Land of Illegal Outposts and Hate Crimes, Another Palestinian Life Claimed" (Haaretz, Jan 27, 2019)."Report: Crimes against Humanity: Israel killed at least 45 Palestinian children in Gaza" (Ma'an News Agency, Jan 19, 2019).Yumna PATEL: "‘Waging War on Shufat’: Jerusalem municipality demolishes 21 businesses in East Jerusalem refugee camp" (Mondoweiss, Nov 22, 2018). Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israeli soldier executed Gaza teen at close range: witness" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 13, 2018)."September 2018 report: 378 Palestinians arrested as Khader Adnan, Omran al-Khatib continue hunger strikes" (Samidoun, Oct 11, 2018)."Palestinians Protest Planned Demolition of Khan al-Ahmar" (Telesur, July 28, 2018).Yumna PATEL: "Israeli forces kill 15-year-old Palestinian in refugee camp raid" (Mondoweiss, July 23, 2018).Amira HASS: "Night raids and attack dogs: For West Bank Palestinians, their homes are not their castles" (Haaretz, June 17, 2018).Neve GORDON: "Gaza's Passover massacre" (Al-Jazeera, April 1, 2018)."Israel killed 3 Palestinian civilians, injured 500, in first half of March" (Middle East Monitor, March 16, 2018).Omar KARMI: “Gaza in a vice” (The Electronic Intifada, Feb 13, 2018).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: “Like a Safari: Israeli Troops in Jeeps Hunt a Palestinian Teen and Shoot Him in the Head” (Haaretz, Feb 9, 2018, now freely available via If Americans Knew).Amira HASS: "On the Margins of the Murder”, (Haaretz, Nov 12, 2017)."Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians, including 4 minors, in overnight raids" (Ma'an, March 29, 2017).Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017)."Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).Emily MULDER: "Israeli guard: 'Go from this land or I will kill you'" (Al Jazeera, Dec 26, 2016)."A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016)."Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016)."Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016)."Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016)."After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).
Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016)."Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016)."UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016). "A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016)."Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016)."Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016)."Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016)."After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016)."Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016)."UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016).Mazal MUALEM: "'Hate wedding' video offers glimpse at Jewish terror" (Al-Monitor, Dec 28, 2015).Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Catastrophe for Syrians and Palestinians alike in war-ravaged country" (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2015).Shlomi ELDAR: "Why the US is part of Middle East problem, not the solution". Interview with Ayman Odeh (Al-Monitor, Dec 14, 2015).Philip WEISS: "Obama’s ISIS czar says we can’t defeat extremism without resolving Palestinian issue" (Mondoweiss, Dec 14, 2015).Uri SAVIR: "How the Islamic State hurts Palestinian cause" (Al-Monitor, Dec 6, 2015).Al Jazeera: "Gaza's crumbling healthcare system" (Yahoo.com, Dec 8, 2015).Nurit CANETTI: "The radicalization of Israel" (Al-Monitor, Dec 2, 2015).Kate: "Prominent Israeli settler runs over 16-year-old girl, then shoots her dead" (Mondoweiss, Nov 23, 2015).Gideon LEVY: "So These Are Israel's New Heroes?" Israel's recent military operations in Palestinian hospitals are a blatant violation of the Geneva Convention, and make you wonder how low the country can sink (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2015).Philip WEISS: "The best way for Americans to defeat the Islamic state is to end support for Jewish nationalism" (Mondoweiss, Nov 15, 2015).Ahmed MOOR: "The Problem of Palestine is Zionism" (Fair Observer, Nov 11, 2015).Miko PELED: "Zionism is racism: Notes from Tel-Rumeida, Hebron, El-Khalil" (American Herald Tribune, Nov 13, 2015). li>Vacy VLAZNA: "The Nakba: Israel’s Catastrophe" (The Palestine Chronicle, May 12, 2015).
John BROWN*: "Next head of 'Civil Administration' said Palestinians are sub-human" (+972, May 8, 2015; * John Brown is the pseudonym of an Israeli academic and a blogger on +972′s Hebrew site, Local Call, where a version of this article was first published in Hebrew.). Akiva ELDAR: "Bennett to advance Judaism, not democracy, in education system" (Al Monitor, May 4, 2015).
Uri SAVIR: "How Bibi uses settlements to block Palestinian state" (Jonathan Cook - The Blog from Nazareth, April 26, 2015). Jonathan COOK: "Professors for Israel try to shut down Lancet" (Jonathan Cook - The Blog from Nazareth, April 24, 2015). Ramzy BAROUD: "Stuck in Area A: How We Were Duped into Disowning the Palestinians" (The Palestine Chronicle, April 22, 2015). Uri AVNERY: "There Are Still Judges..." [On the anti-boycott law] (April 18, 2015).Talal ASAD: "Pourquoi est-ce que je soutiens le mouvement de boycott, désinvestissement et sanctions ?" (AURDIP, 13 avril, 2015).Robert COHEN: "There is no better way than boycott" (Mondoweiss, April 12, 2015)."Nearly 200 Palestinian children in Israeli jails" (Ma'an News Agency, April 1, 2015).Ester GARAU & Stephanie WESTBROOK: "Mainstreaming BDS in Italy" (Mondoweiss, April 1, 2015).Sam BAHOUR & Fida JIRYIS: "Why Land Day stil matters" (972+, March 30, 2014).Yas MAHMOUDI: “La vie désastreuse des étudiants enfermés dans les prisons israéliennes » (AURDIP, 21 mars 2015). Adalah- The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel: "In Israel, racism is the winning ballot" (The Electronic Intifada, March 27, 2015).David GLICK: "In Israel the Mask is Finally Off" (Mondoweiss, March 25, 2015). Neve GORDON: "Israel Votes Apartheid. The End of the Liberal Zionist Façade" (Counterpunch, March 20-22, 2015). "The Strategic Torture and Dehumanization of Palestinian Youth" (Citizen World News, posted on March 20, 2015 by Palestine Ninja ). Eve FAIRBANKS: "The battle to be Israel's conscience [on B'Tselem]" (The Guardian, March 12, 2015). "Israeli forces uproot 300 olive trees in Nablus" (Ma'an News Agency, March 9, 2015). Thalif DEEN: "'Wederopbouw Gaza kan wel honderd jaar duren'". (MO*, 4 maart, 2015). Joe CATRON: "Middle East Quartet Joins Israel In Attempts To Freeze Palestinians Into Submission". (Mint Press News, March 5, 2015). Stephanie WESTBROOK: "Did Rome college censor Ilan Pappe' because of 'zionist intimidation'?" (The Electronic Intifada, 2 March 2015). "The Real Existential Threat to Israel" (Haaretz Editorial, 4 March 2015) (via Facebook). Zie ook: Lode VANOOST: “Apartheid is de echte existentiële dreiging voor Israël” (De Wereld Morgen, 4 maart 2015). Serge HALIMI: "Netanyahou, président de la droite américaine?" (MondeDiplomatique.fr, 4 mars 2015). Ludo DE BRABANDER: "Europees onderzoeksgeld voor Israëlische defensie-industrie?" (Uitpers, 24 februari, 2015). Philip WEISS: "Pro-Israel parliamentary group in Europe says Israelis suffered ‘worst’ of Gaza conflict" (Mondoweiss, January 20, 2015). Marjorie COHN: "Oorlogsmisdaden Israël op een rij" (De Wereld Morgen, 27 februari, 2015; oorspr. "Tallying Israeli War Crimes", op Consortiumnews.com, August 8, 2014, vert. door P.Bakker, in Soemoed, jg 42 nr. 6). Gideon LEVY: "Israel is galloping to the next war in Gaza" (Haaretz, February 26, 2015) (via Facebook). Jonathan COOK: "Israel's New Asian Allies" (The Palestine Chronicle, February 24, 2015). Francis JORISSEN: "Bouwen op de Westelijke Jordaanoever" (Uitpers, 15 februari, 2015). Leah R. PLATKIN: "Palestinian youth face psychological trauma and educational neglect following Israeli detention" (Mondoweiss, February 5, 2015). Mel FRYKBERG: "Palestijnse kinderen doelwit Israëlische arrestatiecampagne" (MO* 16 februari, 2015). Akiva ELDAR: "What does it mean to be a modern Zionist?" (Al Monitor, February 11, 2015). Gideon LEVY: "The death of the Israeli left" (Middle East Eye, 4 February 2015).
Voor het archief click here!
- * Motasem A DALLOUL: "Who's going to stop the madness of extremist ministers of next Israeli government? " (Haaretz, Nov 11, 2022).
- Jack KHOURY & Hagar SHEZAF: "14-year-old Among Two Palestinian Teens Killed Within Hours of Each Other by IDF Fire in West Bank" (Haaretz, Nov 11, 2022).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "This Palestinian Teen Was Shot Twice, Cuffed and Detained by Israeli Troops – Then Released" (Haaretz, Sept 2, 2022).
- "Invading Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian photographing them, Injure 17 in Jenin" (Israel-Palestine News, Sept 6, 2022).
- Defense for Children International-Palestine: "Israeli settler, soldier shoot and kill Palestinian boy" (DCIP, August 1, 2022).
- Tamara NASSAR: "Israeli forces kill fleeing Palestinian child" (EI, 6 July, 2022).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israel executes three Palestinians in Jenin" (The Electronic Intifada, June 18, 2022).
- "Thirteen Palestinian children killed in the West Bank since January 2022" (UNICEF, May 29, 2022).
- "Israeli forces use Palestinian girl as a human shield in Jenin" (Defense for Children International-Palestine, May 19, 2022).
- Shatha HAMMAD: "Israeli forces fatally shoot two young Palestinians in occupied West Bank" (Middle East Eye, April 13, 2022).
- "Israel kills Palestinian boy in Jenin raid" (MEMo, March 31, 2022).
- Staat van Beleg: " Israëlische Schendingen februari 2022 " (7 maart 2022).
- Jesse ROSENFELD, Oren ZIV & Ahmad AL-BAZZ : "Triple West Bank assassination recalls darkest days of the Intifada" (+972, Feb 15, 2022).
- Jack KHOURY & Yaniv KUBOVICH: "Man Killed by Israeli Fire Near Ramallah, Palestinian Health Ministry Says" (Haaretz, Feb 15, 2022).
- "Israel’ Issues 1595 Administrative Detention Orders Against Palestinians In 2021" (PalestineOnline, Jan 2, 2022).
- "Israel a tué 357 Palestiniens, dont 79 enfants et 69 femmes en 2021 " (EuroPalestine, 2 janvier 2022).
- Gideon LEVY: "A Brief History of Killing Children " (Haaretz, Nov 20, 2021).
- Allison WEIR: "Israeli forces have killed 39 Palestinian men, women, & children since May" (Israel-Palestine News, Oct 19, 2021).
- "Israel settlers open fire on Palestine homes in West Bank" (Middle East Monitor, September 11, 2021).
- Gideon LEVY: "Yes, the Palestinian Prison Escapees Are Freedom Fighters" (Haaretz, Sept 9, 2021; archive.today).
- "Developing news: Six Palestinian political prisoners liberate themselves from colonial Israeli prison” (Samidoun, Sept 5, 2021).
- "Israeli troops kill Palestinian teen in West Bank clash” (Middle East Eye, July 24, 2021).
- Tamara NASSAR: "Israeli gunfire takes lives of two more Palestinian teens” (+972, July 15, 2021).
- Yuval ABRAHAM: "Joint militias: How settlers and soldiers teamed up to kill four Palestinians” (+972, July 15, 2021).
- "Palestinian boy loses eye after Israel soldiers shoot him” (Middle East Monitor, April 12, 2021).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "Palestinians Protested the Theft of Their Land. An Israeli Army Officer Shot One of Them in the Head” (Haaretz, March 26, 2021).
- "Israel to displace 1,550 Palestinians to build park in Jerusalem” (MEMo, March 18, 2021).
- "Reconstitution de l’exécution d’un Palestinien qui ne constituait aucune menace” (EuroPalestine, 27 février, 2021).
- Mairav ZONSZEIN: "Vaccination Under Occupation” (Jewish Currents, 12 Jan, 2021).
- Orly NOY: "Why B’Tselem is calling Israel an apartheid regime, from the river to the sea” (Mondoweiss, 12 Jan, 2021).
- "Deaf Palestinian man shot by Israeli soldiers dies of his wounds” (Israel Palestine News, Dec 11, 2020).
- "New Israeli ambassador in Britain describes Nakba as 'Arab lie'” (Middle East Monitor, Dec 8, 2020).
- "Israeli settlers flood Palestinian farmland with sewage” (Middle East Monitor, Oct 19, 2020).
- Ahmad MELHEM: "Family of Palestinian boy disfigured in 2015 firebomb attack still seeking justice” (Al-Monitor, Sept 20, 2020).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Palestinian child shot by Israel dies in detention.” (The Electronic Intifada, August 21, 2020).
- Yumna PATEL: "Young Palestinian woman killed by Israeli forces in Jenin.” 23-year-old Dalia Samoudi is the 24th Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces in the occupied Palestinian territories this year (Mondoweiss, August 7, 2020).
- "Israeli Soldiers Demolish Under-Construction Covid-19 Testing Center in Hebron” (IMEMC, July 21 2020).
- "Mother of Slain Palestinian: “My Son Was A Child In A Man’s Body”" (IMEMC, June 31 2020).
- Sondos SALEH: "Mustafa Went to Tel Aviv for Hospital Tests. He Was Shot Dead" (Haaretz, May 19, 2020).
- Jonathan OFIR: "Slapping Israeli Apartheid — the sentencing of Yifat Doron"