BACBI: Israeli & Palestinian Academia
- Or KASHTI: "Israeli Anthropological Association: We Won't Cooperate With Institutions in the West Bank" (Haaretz, June 26, 2018): click here!
Members of the Israeli Anthropological Association passed a decision not to cooperate with institutes of higher education that are located beyond the Green Line.
- Cynthia FRANKLIN: "A Firsthand Account of Israel's Siege on a Palestinian University" (truthout, 28 April, 2018): click here!
... I also witnessed the lesser-known ways the violence of occupation permeates all of Palestine, including Al-Quds. The Israeli Army regularly invades the Al-Quds campus I was visiting.
- Haaretz Editorial: "Academia in the Government's Service Has No Place in a Democracy" (Haaretz, 27 March 2018): click here!
Education Minister Bennett's effort to regiment Israel’s higher education system through disciplinary rules against voicing anti-government views is fundamentally unacceptable.
- Yarden ZUR: "Israeli Universities Urged to Bar Professors From Calling to Boycott Israel" (Haaretz, 25 March 2018): click here!
We will not be used as a 'political thought police for the government,' heads of universities say in unusually harsh response.
- Amiram GOLDBLUM: Silence as Israel Destroys Academia” (Haaretz, Jan 14, 2018): click here!
A bill that would make Ariel University in the West Bank a de facto part of Israel is a guaranteed formula for a tsunami against science in the country.
- Tali HERUTI SOFER: "Israel's Technion Beats MIT in Teaching Digital Skills to Graduates” (Haaretz, Nov 28, 2017): click here!
The Haifa-based university's nearest rivals were University College London in second place and Korea's KAIST in third. The only American university in the top 10 was MIT, in sixth place.
- Vardit GILOR: "Israeli Academia’s Real Problem” (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2017): click here!
There’s no shortage of women with advanced degrees, but the number of Israeli Arab women with doctorates is far below their representation in the population, and that hurts the whole country.
- Shlomi ELDAR: "Why Israeli Arabs prefer studying in the West Bank” (Al-Monitor, Nov 8, 2017): click here!
For example, Technion, the Haifa technology institute, raised the bar of its entrance exams in Hebrew this year.This change mainly harms members of minority groups who want to study at Technion.
- "New academic year kicked off with contemporary academic programs and innovative co-curriculum initiatives” (Birzeit Univ., Sept 9, 2017): click here!
On September 9, 2017, around 3500 new students began their journey at Birzeit University for the new academic year 2017-2018. The university welcomed a diverse group of new students, symbols of the growth of the institution, which has reached around 14,000 enrolled student.
- Yarden ZUR: "Survey: Half of Arabs in Israeli Universities Suffer Racism” (Haaretz, July 5, 2017): click here!
Some 40 percent of Arab students said they suffer racism from faculty, 60 percent said they had forged ties with Jewish students unconnected to their studies.
- Uri MISGAV: "Leftists, Stop Teaching in Israel's West Bank University” (Haaretz, July 4, 2017): click here!
Decent Israelis, seekers of peace, must engage in the smallest act of civil resistance and refuse to study or work in Ariel.
- Judy MALZ: "U.S. Professors Who Fight Boycott of Israel Slam Plans to Gag Political Speech in Academia” (Haaretz, June 28, 2017): click here!
The proposed ethics code for Israeli professors would radically circumscribe the authority of Israeli academic institutions to do their work, Alliance for Academic Freedom says.
- Jonathan OFIR: "New Israeli ‘ethics code’ for academia seeks to combat BDS" (Mondoweiss, June 21, 2017): click here!
Last December, Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett appointed Tel Aviv university philosophy professor Asa Kasher, to author an ‘ethical code’, to define rules in the area of “overlap between academic and political activity”.
- Bernard AVISHAI: "The Creeping Fascism of Israel’s Right-wingers" (Haaretz, June 12, 2017): click here!
It’s not by chance the latest government target is Israel’s universities: Academia offers a constant challenge to their dream of social discipline in the Jewish state.
- Or KASHTI: "Israeli Education Minister's Ethics Code Would Bar Professors From Expressing Political Opinions" (Haaretz, June 10, 2017): click here!
The code would forbid academic staff from calling for boycotts of Israel, and would prevent institutions from collaborating with political organizations.
- Chaim LEVINSON, “Israeli Education Chief Orders 'Ethics Rules' for Professors Aimed at Curtailing 'Political Preaching” (Haaretz, June 8, 2017): click here!
Bennett asks former IDF ethics chief to take on 'ongoing situation of overlap between academic and political activity.'
- [TAU] "Lettre de l’AURDIP au directeur de Sciences Po Rennes" (AURDIP, 4 mai, 2017): click here!
L’Association des Universitaires pour le Respect du Droit International en Palestine (AURDIP) a appris que l’Institut d’Études Politiques - Sciences Po Rennes avait conclu en 2017 un accord de coopération avec l’Université de Tel Aviv.
- Steven SALAITA: "Speaking of Palestine and Academic Freedom" (Mondoweiss, April 24, 2017): click here!
In the past few years, I’ve become something of a counselor. I have no formal credentials and a bad track record at the very thing I’m supposed to help others avoid. How can I be critical of Israel, friends and strangers ask, without losing my job or getting into trouble?
- Tom SUAREZ: "Israel, naked under the microscope in Cork" (Mondoweiss, April 7, 2017): click here!
“Phew! If you receive this…” it means the Conference is actually happening — so began the letter that welcomed us at the three-day International Law and the State of Israel: Legitimacy, Exceptionalism and Responsibility conference in Cork, Ireland, so tenuous and troubled was its genesis.
- Chen MISGAV: "The Silence of Israeli Academics "(Haaretz, March 21, 2017): click here!
This story is part of a bigger story that Israeli academics tell themselves as they nestle in their safe, protected ivory towers. From university presidents to fledgling researchers, they choose to believe they’re operating in a democratic, modern, Western system that respects academic freedom. Most of them prefer not to look at the state of their Palestinian colleagues who don’t enjoy the privileges that Israeli academics take for granted.
- Shimrit LEE: "Top Israeli university marketing country's arms industry to the world" [TECHNION] (+972, March 9, 2017): click here!
A new university course at Israel’s Technion Institute of Technology teaches students how to brand and market Israel’s defense industry to global audiences.
- "Report: Israel kills 26 Palestinian students, arrests 198 in 2016" (MEMo, Feb 28, 2017): click here!
Official Palestinian statistics indicated that Israeli occupation forces committed violations and attacks on 89,799 students and 5,528 teachers and employees during 2016.
- "Undercover Israeli forces detain 2 students from Birzeit University" (Ma'an, Feb 2, 2017): click here!
Israeli special forces disguised themselves as Palestinians and “kidnapped” two Palestinian students at the entrance of Birzeit University in the occupied West Bank district of Ramallah on Thursday afternoon, according to a statement released by the university.
- Rogel ALPHER: "Why Does Israel's Technion Even Have a Rabbi?" (Haaretz, Dec 25, 2016): click here!
What is a rabbi who bans Jewish students from entering a building with a Christmas tree doing in the prestigious technological institution? | Opinion.
- "Israeli Occupation Continues to Violate Palestine's Education" (Birzeit Univ., Dec 14, 2016): click here!
In continuation of its barbaric aggression on our people and national institutions, the Israeli occupation forces stormed Birzeit University’s campus in the early morning hours of Wednesday 14 December 2016. These blatant attacks and subsequent measures of harassment constitute outrageous interferences to our right to education.
- "Israeli forces raid al-Quds University, damage contents of book fair for the needy" (Ma'an, Nov 19, 2016): click here!
Israeli forces stormed the campus of al-Quds University in the Jerusalem district village of Abu Dis on Saturday morning, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Education.The ministry said in a statement on Saturday that “large numbers of heavily armed” Israeli troops stormed the university campus at dawn and damaged the "contents of a book fair," which students had been organizing to help their fellow students in need.
- Sam BAHOUR: "Palestinian Universities on the Frontline" (ePalestine, Oct 7, 2016): click here!
Palestinian universities are fighting an uphill battle on two fronts, one being the Israeli military occupation, and more recently, the other being the Palestinian government.
- Stanley L. COHEN: "Israel and Academic Freedom: a Closed Book" (CounterPunch, Sept 30, 2016): click here!
You have a 17-year-old daughter… let’s call her Rachel, or perhaps Nadia… raised in a home where dialogue, debate and disagreement have been served as so much a mainstay of the family dinner every night for years.
- Entsar ABU JAHAL: "Al-Aqsa University students pay the price of Gaza-Ramallah bickering" (Al Monitor, Aug 14, 2016): click here!
On Aug. 9, the Ministry of Education and Higher Education in Ramallah announced its official withdrawal of accreditation from Al-Aqsa University in the Gaza Strip. The ministry issued a statement the following day appointing the current chairman of the board of trustees as chairman of the university.
- "An Israeli University Teaches a Lesson in Spinelessness" (Haaretz Editorial, June 28, 2016): click here!
By retracting a prize to Breaking the Silence in the name of 'the consensus', Ben-Gurion University has made a dangerous capitulation to the forces that seek to suppress civil society.
- Or KASHTI: "Backtracking on Past Decision, Israel Refuses to Recognize Palestinian University's Degrees" (Haaretz, June 22, 2016): click here!
Some 30 nursing graduates of Al-Quds University in East Jerusalem have filed a complaint with Attorney General Avichai Mendelblit over the Education Ministry’s refusal to recognize their degrees for salary and pay-grade purposes.
- "UK academic union of over 100,000 members urges freedom for Imad Barghouthi, defense of Palestinians under attack" (Samidoun, June 5, 2016): click here!
The UK’s University and College Union (UCU), representing over 100,000 members as the largest trade union and professional association for academics, lecturers, trainers, researchers and academic-related staff working in further and higher education throughout the UK, affirmed its support for the rights of Palestinian academics under attack in an emergency motion passed at its Congress on 1-3 June.
- Martin ENSERINK: "Peace of Mind" (Science, June 3, 2016): click here!
A young Palestinian neuroscientist [Mohammad Herezallah] hopes to create a research oasis in the West Bank that transcends politics.
- Jack KHOURY: "Israeli Army Charges Palestinian Astrophysicist With Incitement to Violence and Terrorism " (Haaretz, May 30, 2016): click here!
Army prosecutors produce charges against Prof. Imad Barghouthi three days after judge rules he poses no immediate danger and orders his release from administrative detention.
- Charlotte SILVER: "Under scrutiny from world scientists, Israel will free astrophysicist" (The Internet Intifada, May 27, 2016): click here!
In a rare move, an Israeli military court granted jailed Palestinian astrophysicist Imad Barghouthi’s demand to be released from administrative detention. This week, an Israeli court also ordered the release of long-term hunger striker Sami Janazreh.
- Herman DE LEY: "Het Technion: Universiteit en Bezetting. Kritisch commentaar bij UGent partnerships met Israël" (6 juni 2016, 41 blz.): klik hier!
- Steven DAVIDSON: "‘This is not an environment to learn’: Palestinian college struggles to exist next to IDF training ground" (Mondoweiss, May 20, 2016): click here!
A Palestinian agricultural and technical college, Khadoori’s location right on the pre-1967 border with Israel in the city of Tulkarem is what makes it so special. Authorities built the separation wall across Khadoori’s campus, taking 200 dunums of land in the process. Authorities transferred a chemical factory to property next to the campus in order to circumvent Israeli environmental laws. This factory, located next to the university’s agricultural area, has polluted the environment and poisoned the grounds of this institution specializing in agriculture...
- "LAW-TRAIN: Justice Closer to Israeli crimes?" (factsheet, stopthewall.org, 4p.): click here!
On May 1, 2015 implementation of the European project LAW TRAIN began. The project aims at developing technology that will unify methodology for police questioning. It is coordinated from Israel and includes the participation of the Ministry of Israeli Public Safety - the organ that is, among others, responsible for the Israeli police and prison system, both of which have long been denounced by human rights organizations and the UN for using during interrogations various forms of racism, torture, ill-treatment and other forms of human rights violations.
- Charlotte KATES: "Love of country fills his soul’: Daughter of imprisoned Palestinian astrophysicist speaks out on her father’s case" (Mondoweiss, May 10, 2016): click here!
Barghouthi, from the village of Beit Rima, marked his 54th birthday in Israeli prison after being arrested on 24 April by Israeli soldiers at a military checkpoint by Nabi Saleh. Not only has he been taken away from his research and his students at Al-Quds University, he has also been taken away from his family.
- Rori DONAGHY & Lubna MASARWA: "Palestinian student leaders facing jail for opposing occupation" (Middle East Eye, May 9, 2016): click here!
Students at Palestine’s leading university will choose their new president on 16 May, after recent elections in which a Hamas-linked bloc won a majority of seats, but a prominent student activist says their new leader will almost certainly be imprisoned by Israeli authorities.
- Ramona WADI: "Horizon2020 endorses Israeli colonial violence and EU complicity" (MEMo, May 6, 2016): click here!
For all its glorification of human rights and dignity, the European Union has not bothered to even conceal its involvement in funding Israeli research for atrocities under the Horizon2020 framework. The trend is to persist in the manipulation of legal loopholes which provide the continuation of funding state-sanctioned terror disguised under the now widely-acceptable and deceitful euphemism of security concerns.
- Ofer NEIMAN: "Israeli academic elite’s complicity in oppression" (AURDIP, 5 mai 2016): click here!
Israel’s academic elite is mobilised on behalf of the national project, and is well compensated by the regime. When its members shout things such as “fascism”, it’s appropriate that this criticism be directed at itself as well.
- "Dual use and misuse of research results in the case of EU funding to Israeli military and security companies" (European Coordination of Committees and Associations for Palestine, May 4, 2016): click here!
- "Letter to the European Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation concerning the renewed detention of the astro-physicist Imad Barghouthi" (AURDIP, 4 mai, 2016): click here!
- "Prominent Palestinian astrophysicist Imad Barghouthi detained by Israeli occupation forces" (Samidoun, April 26, 2016): click here!Palestinian astrophysicist Imad Barghouthi was arrested again by Israeli occupation forces at Nabi Saleh checkpoint northwest of Ramallah on 24 April. Barghouthi, 53, is a professor of theoretical space-plasma physics at Al-Quds University. A former employee at NASA in the United States, his scientific work is well-regarded internationally.
- Yarden SKOP: "Leading Israeli Sociologist Calls for Boycott of West Bank University" (Haaretz, April 14, 2016): click here!
Prof. Uri Ram, who heads the Israeli Sociological Society, urged colleagues to boycott academic institute in settlement of Ariel.
- "Israeli forces raid, destroy property at al-Quds University" (Ma'an, April 5, 2016): click here!
Israeli troops raided the university campus at 3 a.m. and left at 5 a.m. For two hours, the soldiers locked campus security guards in one room after breaking their walkie-talkies. The soldiers then ransacked a building hosting the Dean of Students and destroyed property, including printers.
- "Student leader Abdullah Ramadan seized by undercover occupation forces in Dheisheh refugee camp" (Samidoun, April 5, 2016): click here!
“Student leader Abdullah Nayef Ramadan, the Secretary of the Progressive Student Labor Front at Al-Quds University in Beit Jala, was arrested mid-morning on Tuesday, 5 April in Dheisheh refugee camp in Bethlehem, occupied Palestine.
- "Israeli forces raid, confiscate items from Jenin-area university" (Ma'an, March 22, 2016): click here!
Israeli forces overnight Monday raided the campus of the Arab American University in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin and confiscated items -- including computers and flags -- from student union offices.
- Ahmad MELHEM: "Why is Israel raiding Palestinian universities?" (Al-Monitor, Feb 19, 2016): click here!
“The Israeli army is attacking universities within the scope of an Israeli systematic scheme designed to eradicate the Palestinian identity and tame the Palestinian young generation's libertarianism by disrupting the educational process," Palestinian Minister of Education and Higher Education Sabri Saidam told Al-Monitor.
- David LLOYD: "Walter Benjamin in Palestine". Philantropic foundations donating to Israel Studies often have clear links to Israel advocacy (Savage Minds, Jan 10, 2016): click here!
"Walter Benjamin never did go to Palestine. Despite frequent invitations from his friend Gershom Scholem, who emigrated there in 1925, and despite the rapidly deteriorating situation for European Jews in the 1930s, he never abandoned whatever ambivalence prevented him from making a decision he often contemplated.
- Hilary AKED: "Israel Studies 101: Undermining Palestine in Western Academia". Philantropic foundations donating to Israel Studies often have clear links to Israel advocacy (The New Arab, Jan 7, 2016): click here!
"If, for Palestinians, "existence is resistance", the epistemic violence inherent in the framing of Israel studies can be seen as an attempt to erase Palestinian culture and deny Palestinian political claims".
- "Israeli forces raid, confiscate items from Jenin-area university" (Ma'an, Dec 20, 2015)): click here!
"At least 9 Palestinian students were shot and injured on Sunday when clashes broke out with Israeli forces outside a university in the occupied West Bank city of Tulkarem. Clashes erupted after a group of Israeli soldiers deployed at an Israeli military base illegally set up on the campus of Palestine Technical University- Kadoorie, locals told Ma’an.
- "Israeli participants in Horizon 2020" (ECCP, Nov 25, 2015)): click here!
"Horizon 2020 is a new EU research and innovation program with around €80 billion available over the period from 2014 to 2020. At the moment 70 Israeli companies participate in 212 projects under the Horizon2020.
- "EU funding to Israeli military companies and institutions through Horizon2020" (European Coordination of Committees and Associations for Palestine, October 13, 2015): klik hier!
"...Technion - Israel Institute of Technology - is coming under increasing scrutiny from academics concerned with its involvement in and collaboration with the Israeli military and Israeli arms companies. The institute conducts a wide variety of research into technology and weapons used to oppress and attack Palestinians. For example, Technion researchers have developed special unmanned vehicles that aid the Israeli army in carrying out demolitions of Palestinian houses. By knowingly developing technology used in house demolitions, Technion is actively and directly complicit in the violations of international law. The institute also provides special tailored courses and programs for military officials and Israeli arms company executives Technion has a history of deep collaboration with Elbit Systems, including receiving research grants and opening a joint research centre. Through Horizon 2020, Technion is participating in over 30 projects and receives over €17 million of EU taxpayers money...".
- Radhika Balakrishnan, Karma R. Chávez, Ira Dworkin, Erica Caple James, J. Kēhaulani Kauanui, Doug Kiel, Barbara Lewis and Soraya Mekerta: "Obama must end support for Israeli apartheid against Palestinian scholars" (The Electronic Intifada, Sept 3, 2015): klik hier!
"We are a group of US-based academics, representing diverse ethnic, racial and cultural backgrounds, as well as a range of national origins, who recently visited Palestine. We were able to gain firsthand exposure to what Obama described in [an] interview as Israel’s “Jewish democracy” and to what kinds of infrastructure our tax dollars help to support — walls, checkpoints and modern weaponry".
- Rapport: "Les universités palestiniennes sous l’occupation", 1er juillet 2015 |AURDIP. Ce rapport a été préparé par une délégation de 8 universitaires de 5 pays européens représentant la Plateforme européenne pour le boycott académique et culturel d’Israël (EPACBI): klik hier!
- HEBREW University:
*** "Has Israeli college in East Jerusalem deceived its EU donors? " (David Cronin, The Electronic Intifada, 25 August 2015).
*** "Israeli college in East Jerusalem bags $15 million of EU funds" (David Cronin, The Electronic Intifada, 22 July 2015).
*** The Hebrew University in Jerusalem has been complicit in the Gaza massacre: "Israeli universities lend support to Gaza massacre" (The Electronic Intifada, 25 July 2014).
*** The university has also set police on students protesting against military service: The Electronic Intifada (9 May 2014).
*** In addition, the university’s facilities have been illegally built on occupied territory in occupied East Jerusalem: see "Hundreds of academics call for boycott of Hebrew University conference in 2014" (The Electronic Intifada, 26 September 2013). The latter link serves as proof that conscientious people all over the world are keeping note of the university’s violations of human rights and refusing to take part in its activities.
- TECHNION University:
- Ahmed ABBES & Ivar EKELAND: "Technion, incubator of the student-soldier elite" (AURDIP, 6 octobre, 2015): klik hier!
"...participation in the war of occupation by Israeli universities — the Technion in particular — has the effect of blurring the distinction between civil and armed society, and of destroying the possibility of a negotiated peace in the Middle East. The triumph of the concept of the student soldier only exacerbates the double split in Israeli society — the internal split between Jews and non-Jews, and the external split between Israel and its geopolitical surroundings, including, of course, occupied Palestine...".
- Ivar EKELAND: "Nouvel accord X-Technion : l’École polytechnique continue à mépriser le droit international, l’éthique et la déontologie universitaires" (AURDIP, 21 septembre, 2015): klik hier!
"un nouvel accord de coopération a été signé entre le Technion et l’École polytechnique, représentée par son président, Jacques Biot. Le Technion a été (et est toujours) à la pointe de l’innovation et de l’expérimentation en matière de technologie militaire. C’est au Technion par exemple, qu’ont été conçus et développés les drones militaires, assurant ainsi à Israël, aux côtés des USA, une maîtrise indiscutée dans le domaine. Ce succès n’est pas dû uniquement aux qualités des ingénieurs du Technion, ni au soutien du gouvernement aux programmes militaires, mais aussi au fait que le Technion bénéfice d’un avantage considérable par rapport à ses concurrents étrangers : toutes ses armes ont été testées en situation réelle."
- David CRONIN: "Top Israeli recipient of EU grants is based in occupied East Jerusalem" (The Electronic Intifada, 14 April, 2015): klik hier!
A college in occupied East Jerusalem is the top Israeli recipient of European Union science grants. Hebrew University of Jerusalem took part in 237 projects under an EU multi-annual scientific research program, which ran from 2007 to 2013. According to an internal EU document that I have seen, the university was the leading Israeli participant in the program.
- "Technion opens new 'defense exports' course" (Alternative Information Center, March 22, 2015): klik hier!
The Technion is launching a new training programme for professionals to enter Israel's growing “defense exports” industry. “People aren't aware of just how much money can be made in this field”, states a programme lecturer. “Israeli high tech and Israeli security have good reputations – the combination is a winner”.
*** Uri Yacobi KELLER: "Academic Boycott of Israel and the Complicity of Israeli Academic Institutions in Occupation of Palestinian Territories" (in: The Economy of the Occupation, A Socioeconomic Bulletin, No 23, October 2009, The Alternative Information Center), pdf, 64pp.: click here!
*** "Le dossier du boycott universitaire contre Israël", pdf, 16pp., 2007: www.bdsfrance.org/images/stories/universitaire/aic07-fr.pdf
*** "Structures of Oppression: Why McGill and Concordia Universities must sever their links with the Technion University, pdf, 12pp.: www.tadamon.ca/wp-content/uploads/TechnionfinalEPDF.pdf
- TEL AVIV University:
*** "Tel Aviv University - A Leading Israeli Military Research Centre", SOAS Palestine Society, briefing paper, February 2009, pdf, 10p.: click here!
- Extra information:
*** "Putting the spotlight on London University’s links to Israel’s war machine" (The Electronic Intifada, 21 June 2015): electronicintifada.net/content/putting-spotlight-london-universitys-links-israels-war-machine/10911
*** "Why a boycott of Israeli academics is fully justified. The majority of Israeli academics do little to support the rights of Palestinians, and their institutions are complicit in the occupation" (Ben White, The Guardian, 12 Sept 2012): theguardian.com/science/blog/2012/sep/12/boycott-israeli-academics-justified"
*** New Yorkers Against the Cornell-Technion Partnershipt: Further Reading & Resources: nyact.net/links/
*** "Montreal activists launch campus boycott campaign": right2edu.birzeit.edu/montreal-activists-launch-campus-boycott-campaign/
*** FAQ: Why Boycott Divestment Sanctions (published by the College and University Workers United): www.tadamon.ca/wp-content/uploads/CUWU-BDS-eglish.pdf
- Yossi GURVITZ: "Israeli universities becoming Hasbara mills" (+972, 21 June 2015).
"Two Israeli universities, Haifa University and Tel Aviv University, now offer programs in Hasbara. The Haifa course is meant for Israeli students, the Tel Aviv one for foreign students... The two universities, starved after years of neo-liberalism, have quietly acquiesced to becoming propaganda arms of the government. In this, they have betrayed their mission. A university is not supposed to sing the praises of its own society; it is supposed to study it and criticize it".
- "Arab League warns for collapse of education in Palestine due to Israeli occupation" (Palestine News Network, May 25, 2015): klik hier!
... In his speech Sunday during the the opening session of the 72nd course for the council of the educational affairs, Assistant Secretary General of Palestine Affairs in the Arab League, Mohammad Sbeih confirmed the necessity of Arab support to the educational process for Palestinian students, and the strong steadfast against the Israeli occupation attempts to strip them from education, which can produce a generation that is able to challenge the occupation and establish a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital.
Sbeih also warned that Israel was continually targeting the educational procedure in Jerusalem through imposing the Israeli curriculum on East Jerusalem educational institutes, to completely demolish the Arab identity and Judaize Jerusalem.
Occupation is also preventing the establishment of any new schools in East Jerusalem or renovating the old ones, which lead to lack of about 1000 classrooms, in addition to using ineligible rooms for classes, such as narrow corridors, caravans and Zinc rooms crowded and narrow. The expensiveness of private schools also lead to the increase of students dropping out at an early age.
"Israel, the occupying Power, on May 15 celebrated its sixty-seventh anniversary of occupying Palestinian land, and destroying all sides of Palestinian daily life including economic, social, health, cultural, and mostly educational, since the occupation is aware of its importance in nation-structure and its effect on the strength of a nation," Sbeih said.
He continued, "Israel is using every possible way to restrict the movement of Palestinian students in the West Bank and Jerusalem, and fight against having an academically educated Palestinian youth by preventing them from heading to universities."
Sbeih assured that Israeli forces in their consecutive attacks on Gaza always targeted educational institutes and hindered the reconstruction process. They also blocked the school textbooks from being entered to the Strip and prevented Gazans from reaching West Bank universities, scattering the Palestinian curriculum.
- Urgent Current Appeal (19 April 2015): "Call to action: Exclude Hebrew University from all EU grants, prizes and financial instruments": (Justice for Palestine Matters): klik hier!
Violations: The Hebrew University has strong links to the Israeli armament industry and the military and is a contributor to Israel’s war crimes.
Please urge Carlos Moedas, EU Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation to respect the EU guidelines and rescind present grants and exclude the Hebrew University from all future grants, prizes and financial instruments.
Send letter of protest to H.E. CARLOS MOEDAS, EU Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, H.E. Federica MOGHERINI, EU High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy; H.E DONALD TUSK, President of the European Council, H.E RIYAD H.MANSOUR, Ambassador, Permanent Observer Mission of Palestine to the United Nations. Can be done on the webpage itself.
- David CRONIN: "Revealed: EU science chief promised to be “flexible” towards Israel’s war crimes" (The Internet Intifada, 15 Oct 2014): click here!
Israel’s war crimes sometimes have to be overlooked, according to a senior European Union representative. During 2013, Israel reacted angrily when Brussels officials issued a policy paper stating that the EU would not award funding to firms and institutions based in Jewish-only settlements in the occupied West Bank.
- European Report: "Israel Targets the Palestinian Academicians" (Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor, 13 Feb 2012): klik hier.
The Euro-Med Human Rights expressed its deep concern for the constant targeting of the Palestinian academicians and scholars and putting them in detention by the Israeli Authorities. The Euro-Med observer reported a number of arrests among the Palestinian academicians, lecturers, and scholars at Palestinian universities by the Israeli authorities. These arrests were done on a regular basis and without declaring any reasonable charges against the academicians, who are now in “Administrative Detention”, according to an order signed by the Israeli Territorial Military Governor.
- Gideon LEVY: "The Shin Bet's Academic Freedom" (Haaretz, 8 Sept 2008): click here!
A civil society striving for economic and intellectual growth must be weaned from its worship of those in uniform, whose role in benefiting or damaging the state remains controversial.
Voor het archief klik hier!
- *"Palestinians Protest Planned Demolition of Khan al-Ahmar" (Telesur, July 28, 2018).
- Yumna PATEL: "Israeli forces kill 15-year-old Palestinian in refugee camp raid" (Mondoweiss, July 23, 2018).
- Amira HASS: "Night raids and attack dogs: For West Bank Palestinians, their homes are not their castles" (Haaretz, June 17, 2018).
- Neve GORDON: "Gaza's Passover massacre" (Al-Jazeera, April 1, 2018)
- "Israel killed 3 Palestinian civilians, injured 500, in first half of March" (Middle East Monitor, March 16)
- Omar KARMI: “Gaza in a vice” (The Electronic Intifada, Feb 13, 2018).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: “Like a Safari: Israeli Troops in Jeeps Hunt a Palestinian Teen and Shoot Him in the Head” (Haaretz, Feb 9, 2018, now freely available via: If Americans Knew).
- Amira HASS: "On the Margins of the Murder”, (Haaretz, Nov 12, 2017): click here!
- "Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians, including 4 minors, in overnight raids" (Ma'an, March 29, 2017).
- Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017).
- "Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).
- Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).
- Emily MULDER: "Israeli guard: 'Go from this land or I will kill you'" (Al Jazeera, Dec 26, 2016).
- "A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016).
- "Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016).
- "Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).
- Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016).
- "Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).
- Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016).
- "After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).
- Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).
- Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).
- Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).
- Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).
- Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016).
- "Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016).
- "UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).
- Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).
- Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).
- C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016).
- Mazal MUALEM: "'Hate wedding' video offers glimpse at Jewish terror" (Al-Monitor, Dec 28, 2015).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Catastrophe for Syrians and Palestinians alike in war-ravaged country" (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2015).
- Shlomi ELDAR: "Why the US is part of Middle East problem, not the solution". Interview with Ayman Odeh (Al-Monitor, Dec 14, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "Obama’s ISIS czar says we can’t defeat extremism without resolving Palestinian issue" (Mondoweiss, Dec 14, 2015).
- Uri SAVIR: "How the Islamic State hurts Palestinian cause" (Al-Monitor, Dec 6, 2015).
- Al Jazeera: "Gaza's crumbling healthcare system" (Yahoo.com, Dec 8, 2015).
- Nurit CANETTI: "The radicalization of Israel" (Al-Monitor, Dec 2, 2015).
- Kate: "Prominent Israeli settler runs over 16-year-old girl, then shoots her dead" (Mondoweiss, Nov 23, 2015).
- Gideon LEVY: "So These Are Israel's New Heroes?" Israel's recent military operations in Palestinian hospitals are a blatant violation of the Geneva Convention, and make you wonder how low the country can sink (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "The best way for Americans to defeat the Islamic state is to end support for Jewish nationalism" (Mondoweiss, Nov 15, 2015).
- Ahmed MOOR: "The Problem of Palestine is Zionism" (Fair Observer, Nov 11, 2015).
- Miko PELED: "Zionism is racism: Notes from Tel-Rumeida, Hebron, El-Khalil" (American Herald Tribune, Nov 13, 2015).
- Megan HANNA: "‘It Has Become A Prison’: The ghettoization of Hebron" (Mondoweiss, Nov 11, 2015).
- Avigail ABARBANEL: "Netanyahu’s craziness is calculated, to drive out Palestinians" (Mondoweiss, Nov 5, 2015).
- Michel WARSCHAWSKI: "La jeunesse palestinienne à couteaux tirés avec Israël" (Orient XXI, 15 Oct 2015).
- Kamel HAWWASH: "Palestinians have a problem with occupiers not (with) Jews" (MEMO, Oct 30, 2015).
- "Palestijnse baby vermoord met traangas" (Alexandrina, Oct 31, 2015).
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Israel’s executions of Palestinian teens must end, Amnesty says" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 28, 2015).
- Killian REDDEN: "Hebron at eye of the storm as death toll rises" (Ma'an News Agency, Oct 26, 2015).
- "Netanyahu Shamelessly Exploits the Shoah to Stoke Fear of Palestinians" (Jewish Voice for Peace, Oct 21, 2015).
- Amos GVIRTZ: "From Unilateral- to Bilateral War - or: How the Palestinians Fight to Prevent Being Expelled From the Country" (Occupation Magazine, Oct 20, 2015).
- Noam SHEIZAF: "Jerusalem, in context" (+972, October 19, 2015). "The current events in Jerusalem have a political history and context. Attempts to attribute the violence to some kind of Palestinian pathology while ignoring other factors is a recipe for making things worse."
- Meron RAPOPORT: "The paradox of Jerusalem" (Middle East Eye, October 17, 2015).
- Hatem BAZIAN: "Palestine's Wound" (Medium, October 18, 2015).
- Robert COHEN: "Israel gets away with it because it is a global arms supplier — Jeff HALPER" (Mondoweiss, October 15, 2015).
- David HEARST: "A new intifada for a new generation" (Middle East Eye, October 12, 2015).
- Gideon LEVY: "Israel's Lawless Death Penalty Without Trial Buoyed by Cheers of the Masses". "In this way, one of the main reasons for this uprising’s eruption is demonstrated - the dehumanization of the Palestinians, whose life and death are worthless to the Israelis" (Haaretz, October 11, 2015).
- Odeh BISHARAT: "Even the Brighter Side of Israel Demands Execution Without Trial". In Israel, the occupation is embraced in almost every home. It's no wonder that cop shot the woman with the knife so quickly (Haaretz, 11 October 2015).
- Peter BEAUMONT: "Israeli occupation is root cause of Palestine conflict, says Marwan Barghouti". Jailed Palestinian leader calls on international community to tackle root cause of violence between Palestinians and Israelis (The Guardian, 11 October 2015).
- Noam SHEIZAF: "Israel still holds all the cards" (+972, 11 October 2015).
- Sawsan KHALIFE': "The heavy price of segregation and occupation" (+972, 9 October 2015).
- Peter BEAUMONT: "Is a third Palestinian intifada on the way – or has it already begun?" Violence is escalating but it is not yet clear whether Palestinian society is united in a desire for another prolonged period of unrest (The Guardian, 5 October 2015).
- Jesse RUBIN: "Throwing stones is part of Palestine’s struggle" (The Electronic Intifada, 5 October 2015).
- Meron RAPOPORT: "Netanyahu faces possible civil war" (Middle East Eye, 5 October 2015).
- Nasim AHMED: "With the rise of settler terrorism, can Israel still be described as a rational political actor?" (Middle East Monitor, 3 October 2015).
- Sharif NASHASHIBI: "At the UN, Abbas wastes another opportunity for Palestine" (Middle East Eye, 1 October 2015).
- Sarah CHAMPION: "Gaza Is a Horrific Humanitarian Disaster That We Cannot Allow to Continue" (Huffington Post UK, 24/9/2015).
- Rosemary SAYIGH: "The Price of Statelessness: Palestinian Refugees From Syria" (al-shabaka.org, 15 May 2013).
- "Al-Aqsa, la révolte impuissante". "Alain Gresh et René Backmann analysent la dynamique de la violence à l’œuvre à Jérusalem-Est et l’intensification de la politique de judaïsation de la ville" (Association France Palestine Solidarité, 16 septembre 2015).