BAA4P: Europe (EU & UK)
- The European Legal Support Center - ELSC: click here!
The ELSC defends and empowers advocates for Palestinian rights across mainland Europe and the United Kingdom through legal means.
- "The European Commission “Handbook” Promoting the Controversial IHRA Working Definition of Antisemitism: A Legal Analysis" (ELSC, pdf, 14p.): click here!
- "German Case Law: A Coherent Set of Principles for Challenging Anti-BDS Resolutions" (ELSC, pdf, 5p.): click here!
The ELSC defends and empowers advocates for Palestinian rights across mainland Europe and the United Kingdom through legal means.
- Kay GUINANE, "The Alarming Rise of Lawfare to Suppress Civil Society: The Case of Palestine and Israel" (Charity & Security Network, Sept 28, 2021, pdf, 141p.): click here!
- Avi SHLAIM, "On British colonialism, antisemitism, and Palestinian rights" (MEE, 1 March, 2021) : click here!
From the 'original sin' of 1917 to the government's more recent adoption of the controversial IHRA antisemitism definition, Britain has always been firmly in Israel's camp.
Chronological list (latest first):
- "Voice of the Jewish News: Never in Israel’s history has hatred wielded such power" (Nov 2, 2022): click here!
This week's editorial reflects on the result of the Israeli election and its repercussions for the Jewish state and its relationship with the diaspora.
- David CRONIN: "Belgium wields terror law to shield Israel’s war industry" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 19, 2022): click here!
Belgium is using anti-terror legislation to protect an Israeli weapons firm. The federal prosecutor’s office in Brussels has confirmed that it is handling a dossier relating to recent damage done at the OIP Sensor Systems factory near the city of Ghent.
- Wafa AL ALI: "‘Zeg dan: de relatie met Israël gaat boven mensenrechten’" (NRC, 19 Okt, 2022): click here!
Nederland sluit de ogen voor mensenrechtenschendingen in Israël en Palestina, zegt Berber van der Woude. Gedesillusioneerd verliet de ambtenaar het ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken.
- Cnaan LIPHSHIZ: "In Landmark Ruling, Spanish Top Court Says Israel Boycotts Are Always Discriminatory" (Haaretz, Oct 11, 2022): click here!
Unlike previous lower-court rulings in Spain which curtailed efforts to boycott Israel only in individual cases, the new ruling will function as a legal precedent applicable to all cases going forward.
- Ali ABUNIMAH, “British Quakers capitulate to Israel lobby lies” (The Electronic Intifada, 30 Sept 2022) : click here!
The religious organization Quakers in Britain is standing by its cancellation of a booking for an event on Palestine at one of its meeting houses in Scotland earlier this week. The decision came after a smear campaign against the main speaker David Miller, falsely accusing him of anti-Jewish bigotry.
- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL, “EU-Israel Association Council – EU should not sacrifice human rights in the name of reviving relations” (amnesty.eu, 23 Sept 2022) : click here!
Full letter to J.Borrell e.a. , ref. TIGO IOR 10/2022.3262 (pdf,4p.): click here!.
- Asa WINSTANLEY, “New bombshell film exposes Israel lobby role in UK Labour Party” (The Electronic Intifada, 22 Sept 2022) : click here!
A new cache of leaked Labour documents shows how Israel lobby operatives worked against former leader Jeremy Corbyn from within the UK’s main opposition party.
- Kit KLARENBERG, “Crown prosecutor levels blackmail charges against Palestine Action” (The Electronic Intifada, 15 Sept, 2022) : click here!
In June, I wrote an analysis of Britain’s disturbingly draconian new National Security Bill. Sections of that bill give every appearance of having been specifically drawn up in order to undermine Palestine Action. Openly committed to damaging and destroying the British-based assets of top Israeli arms manufacturers, including Elbit Systems, Palestine Action has since launch in mid-2020 pulled off a string of successes, resulting in the closure of the company’s sites, and abandonment of offices by companies leasing space to Elbit.
- Barak RAVID, “Scoop: EU envoy says he's being snubbed by Israeli leaders” (Axios, Sept 14, 2022) : click here!
Sven Koopmans, the European Union special envoy for the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, officially complained to the Israeli Foreign Ministry that he has not recently gotten high-level meetings in Israel, according to a summary of the meeting Axios obtained.
- Lazar BERMAN, “Germany is Israel’s most important ally after US, says new envoy in Berlin” (The Times of Israel, Sept 12, 2022) : click here!
Israeli ambassador Ron Prosor says PM Lapid during visit will stress Iran’s destabilizing activities to a Germany undergoing profound changes in how it sees the world
- Jean STERN, “Le député Jean-Paul Lecoq sur l’apartheid israélien : « Je n’ai pas l’intention de lâcher »” (orientXXI, 9 sept, 2022) : click here!
Auteur d’un projet de résolution cosigné cet été par 33 député·es de gauche sur « l’institutionnalisation par Israël d’un régime d’apartheid à l’encontre du peuple palestinien », le député communiste Jean-Paul Lecoq a subi un tombereau de critiques et d’injures. Il persiste et signe et répond ici, pour la première fois, à ses détracteurs.
- Hebh JAMAL, “German broadcaster requires employees to ‘support Israel’s right to exist’” (+972, 8 Sept, 2022) : click here!
Deutsche Welle's new code of conduct marks the latest Israel-related crackdown on free speech in German public life.
- Euro-Med Monitor: “‘Germany: Euro-Med Monitor welcomes court ruling against Deutsche Welle after firing of Arab journalists” (5 September, 2022) : click here!
Geneva - Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor applauds a German labour court’s decision that the dismissal of Palestinian-Jordanian journalist Farah Maraqa by Deutsche Welle (DW) was legally unjustified. The court ruled that her contract termination was illegal and ordered Deutsche Welle, an official German media network, to reinstate Maraqa immediately and reimburse her for the period during which she was barred from working.
- Nasim AHMED, “Attack on anti-Zionist Jewish leader exposes scale of UK Labour's anti-Palestine problem ” (Middle East Monitor, Sept 2, 2022) : click here!
The scale of Labour's anti-Palestine problem under the leadership of Keir Starmer was laid bare yesterday following the election of Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi to the party's National Executive Committee (NEC). Wimborne-Idrissi, who is a co-founder of Jewish Voice for Labour (JVL) – the main grouping of left-wing Jews in the Labour party, known for their highly critical stance on Israel – was one of several prominent Jewish members previously suspended over her criticism of the suspension of other left-wing party members during the height of the anti-Semitism row within the party.
- Amira HASS, “‘German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, This Is What’s Really Disgusting'” (Haaretz, August 21, 2022) : click here!
Europe and the United States apparently believe the antisemitic libels to the effect that Israel, as a modern all-Jewish organization, is an omnipotent multi-armed octopus, which should not be angered.
- Hagar SHEZAF, “Nine European States Slam Israeli Raids of Palestinian NGOs” (Haaretz, August 20, 2022) : click here!
'We are deeply concerned by the raids…as part of a worrying reduction of space for civil society in the occupied Palestinian territories,' say the countries, which fund the Palestinian organizations raided by Israel.
- “‘Time for global anti-apartheid movement to support occupied Palestine’ – Kearney” (Sinn Féin, August 11, 2022) : click here!
Sinn Féin National Chairperson Declan Kearney has said a ‘global anti-apartheid’ campaign is needed to support the Palestinian people against the Israeli occupation. Writing in his latest blog for An Phoblacht, Declan Kearney said: “The scale of the outrages being perpetrated against the Palestinian people by Israel demand an unambiguous response from the international community. “Ritualistic and qualified words of condemnation are not good enough. There is no equivalence between the acts of the oppressor and the oppressed.
- Jonathan COOK, “Contenders for Boris Johnson’s crown stress fealty to Israel” (J.C., August 9, 2022) : click here!
Following Israel’s recent savage attack on Gaza, the last two Tory candidates for PM are outcompeting each other to offer Israel support.
- Akiva ELDAR, “Europe Has Given Up on the Palestinians” (Haaretz, August 9, 2022) : click here!
Please read the following carefully: “The European Union follows with great concern the latest developments in and around Gaza. … The EU calls for maximum restraint on all sides in order to avoid a further escalation and further casualties. While Israel has the right to protect its civilian population, everything must be done to prevent a broader conflict, which would, first and foremost, affect the civilian populations on both sides and result in further casualties and more suffering. These latest events highlight yet again the need to restore a political horizon and to ensure a sustainable situation in Gaza.”
- Ali ABUNIMAH, “US, Europe greenlight Israel’s latest Gaza massacre” (The Electronic Intifada , August 6, 2022) : click here!
As the toll of death, injury and destruction rose in Gaza on Saturday, the second day of Israel’s surprise attack on the territory, the Biden administration reiterated its full support for Tel Aviv. John Kirby, a spokesperson for the White House’s National Security Council said the administration urges “all sides to avoid further escalation.” But turning reality on its head, Kirby added that the US “absolutely fully supports Israel’s right to defend itself against terrorist groups that have taken the lives of innocent civilians in Israel.”
- Daniel FINN, “Yes, Jeremy Corbyn Was Vilified Because He Criticized Israel” Jacobin , August 4, 2022) : click here!
Jeremy Corbyn’s critics are once again furious because he stated an undeniable fact. Corbyn was shamefully denounced as a dangerous antisemite primarily because he supported the democratic rights of the Palestinians.
- Jonathan LIS, “EU Foreign Ministers Agree to Renew Annual Dialogue With Israel, Frozen Since 2012” (Haaretz, July 18, 2022) : click here!
Ministers decided in principle to renew the EU-Israel Association Council, which has not been held for a decade due to political tensions over European policy on Israeli settlements and pressure from pro-Palestinian groups.
- "Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministries of Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Sweden on the designation of Palestinian civil society organisations as terrorist organisations" (Federal Foreign Office, July 12, 2022) : click here!
On October 22 2021, Israel designated six Palestinian civil society organisations as terrorist organisations. Accusations of terrorism or links to terrorist groups must always be treated with the utmost seriousness. The designations needed therefore to be assessed carefully and extensively. No substantial information was received from Israel that would justify reviewing our policy towards the six Palestinian NGOs on the basis of the Israeli decision to designate these NGOs as 'terrorist organizations'. Should evidence be made available to the contrary, we would act accordingly. In the absence of such evidence, we will continue our cooperation and strong support for the civil society in the oPT. A free and strong civil society is indispensable for promoting democratic values and for the two-state solution.
- Aaron BOXERMAN, “EU releases aid to Palestinians held up over textbook reform” (TOI, June 13, 2022) : click here!
European Commission votes to send over $200 million to PA; unclear if funds sent on condition alleged incitement be removed from curricula.
- Yara HAWARI, “Criminalizing Palestine Solidarity Activism in the UK” (Al-Shabaka, June 9, 2022) : click here!
A new wave of repressive UK government policies aims to suppress protest and political expression, posing a direct threat to Palestine solidarity work. Al-Shabaka’s senior policy analyst, Yara Hawari, locates this latest crackdown within Britain’s enduring support for Zionism, and shows how only in broad, intersectional alliances can social justice activists effectively repel state-led repression.
- Konstantin NOWOTNY, “Germany’s New Foreign Minister: The First Woman in the Job – and a Strong Supporter of Israel” (Haaretz, Nov 28, 2021): click here!
Green Party co-leader Annalena Baerbock has condemned Hamas’ rocket strikes against Israeli civilians and opposes the BDS movement, adding: ‘In these trying times, we stand with the Israelis.’
- “Wouter De Vriendt (Groen) wil maatregelen tegen Israël: 'Straffeloosheid moet stoppen'” (Het Laatste Nieuws, 10 mei, 2021): click here!
Kamerlid Wouter De Vriendt (Groen) wil dat ons land maatregelen neemt tegen Israël. Hij reageert daarmee op de nieuwe escalatie van geweld van de afgelopen dagen in Jeruzalem. “ Lauwe reacties van de internationale gemeenschap leveren niets op. De straffeloosheid moet stoppen”, aldus De Vriendt.
- Joseph MASSAD, "Palestinians deserve reparations for Britain's colonial crimes” (Middle East Eye, 29 Oct, 2021): click here!
A Palestinian billionaire is pushing the British government to apologise for the Balfour Declaration and its legacy, but this would not come close to compensating for decades of Palestinian suffering.
- Jonathan COOK, “How the Guardian betrayed not only Corbyn but the last vestiges of British democracy” (Mondoweiss, Aug 18, 2020): click here!
It is simply astonishing that the first attempt by the Guardian – the only major British newspaper styling itself as on the liberal-left – to properly examine the contents of a devastating internal Labour party report leaked in April is taking place nearly four months after the 860-page report first came to light.
- Thomas SUÀREZ, “Winston Churchill’s racist legacy in Palestine” (The Electronic Intifada, June 18, 2020): click here!
Since the early days of British involvement with Zionism, Churchill sanctioned the dispossession of non-Jewish Palestinians by assuring that they have no voice in the affairs of their own land. “In the interests of the Zionist policy,” he stated in August 1921 as the government minister in charge of Britain’s colonies, “all elective institutions have so far been refused to the Arabs.”
- "The European Legal Support Center (ELSC)" (The Rights Forum, pdf, 3p.): click here!
Contact: The European Legal Support Center (ELSC) is an independent, non-governmental initiative dedicated to protecting the fundamental rights to freedom of expression and assembly of those who speak out and take peaceful action in Europe for justice and freedom of the Palestinian people. The ELSC is a joint initiative of Palestinian civil society, The Rights Forum in the Netherlands and European jurists. It is based in Amsterdam and will become operational in early 2019.
- Stasa SALACANIN, “The European elections brought no change for the Middle East” (Middle East Monitor, June 7, 2019)): click here!
- Jonathan COOK, “The Crisis in Corbyn’s Labour Party is Over Israel, Not Anti-Semitism” (CounterPunch, Aug 9, 2018): click here!
If there is indeed an anti-semitism problem in the UK’s Labour party, it is not in the places where the British corporate media have been directing our attention.
- Asa WINSTANLEY, “Jewish Labour activists defend Corbyn as Israel lobby attacks” (EI, 26 March 2018): click here!
Left-wing group Jewish Voice for Labour has praised Corbyn’s “consistent commitment to anti-racism” and condemned current right-wing attacks.
- Asa WINSTANLEY, “Leader in Jewish group banned from Labour Party office” (EI, 9 March 2018): click here!
Noted Jewish Palestine activist and secretary of left-wing group Jewish Voice for Labour has been banned from holding office in the UK’s main opposition party.
- [Moshé MACHOVER], “ERODING THE CONSENSUS: An interview with Moshé Machover” (Science for the People, Nov 20, 2017)): click here!
Shortly after Moshé Machover was expelled from the British Labour Party, Science for the People activists organized an international petition in his defense. Prioritizing academics from Machover’s fields–Mathematics and Philosophy of Logic–but also featuring Israelis, Palestine solidarity activists and British legal professionals, the list of Lead Signatories quickly became impressively star-studded. Machover’s colleagues had rallied to his defense and, just as we were preparing to deliver and publish the petition, we received word that the expulsion had been rescinded!
- Asa WINSTANLEY, “Unable to oust Corbyn, Israel’s Labour allies shift strategy” (EI, Nov 14): click here!
The shift in the UK’s political terrain since June’s general election has left Corbyn firmly in charge of the main opposition party’s leadership.
- Ben WHITE: "Pourquoi la démission de Priti Patel est “une grande perte pour Israël”" (Pour la Palestine, 12 nov, 2017): click here!
l est assez facile de comprendre pourquoi une politicienne ambitieuse comme Priti Patel 1 était désireuse de s’attirer les bonnes grâces des “Amis Conservateurs d’Israël” (Conservative Friends of Israel – CFI), décrits cette semaine par le journaliste du Jewish Chronicle, Marcus Dysch, comme “le plus grand groupe de lobbying de Westminster.
- Jonathan COOK: "What the Priti Patel scandal tells us about the dark operations of UK’s powerful Israel lobby" (J.C., Nov 12, 2017): click here!
There is growing hysteria about foreign interference in US and European politics. Is it not time for western states to show as much concern about the malign influence of Israel’s lobbyists as they do about Russian hackers?
- “Boris Johnson: ‘Balfour clause to protect existing communities has not been met’" (Jewish News, Oct 30, 2017): click here!
Foreign secretary heralds Lord Balfour’s ‘indispensable’ role in the creation of a ‘great nation’, but laments the ‘suffering’ of those displaced by Israel’s establishment.
- James RENTON, “The Balfour Declaration's Racism - and Why It Still Matters" (Haaretz, Oct 26, 2017): click here!
The British policy elite's views reflected deeply embedded notions of the 'Jewish race' and 'Jewish power', the 'impurity' of the Palestinian Arabs - and the incapability of both to ever rule themselves. Those tropes still reverberate today”
- Jeremy STERN-WEINER: "LABOUR CONFERENCE OR NUREMBERG RALLY? ASSESSING THE EVIDENCE" (JS-W, Oct 12, 2017): click here!
IT WAS DIFFICULT to ascertain on the basis of media reports whether Brighton played host this month to a Labour Party conference or a Nuremberg rally. This article investigates claims of antisemitism at the Labour conference and finds them to be without factual basis.
- Barak RAVID: "In Unprecedented Move, Eight European Countries to Demand Compensation From Israel for West Bank Demolitions" (Haaretz, Oct 19, 2017): click here!
In a letter, the countries seek $35,000 in compensation for confiscating and demolishing structures they had built in Area C, under full Israeli control.
- Ian BLACK: "The contested centenary of Britain’s ‘calamitous promise’" (The Guardian, Long read, Oct 17, 2017): click here!
The British pledge to establish a ‘Jewish national home’ in Palestine is being celebrated and condemned as a divisive anniversary approaches.
- "(EU) Statement on recent Israeli decisions to promote thousands of settlement units" (EU External Action, Oct 18, 2017): click here!
This week, Israeli authorities further promoted plans, tenders and permits for thousands of settlement units across the West Bank, including, for the first time since 2002, in the heart of Hebron.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "Palestine was the issue at Labour Party conference" (EI, Oct 6, 2017): click here!
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn received his longest and loudest standing ovation at his party’s conference when he called for an “end to the oppression of the Palestinian people” and Israel’s “50-year occupation and illegal settlement expansion.”
- Jonathan OFIR: "Moshe Machover and the battle for the soul of British Labour" (Mondoweiss, Oct 6, 2017): click here!
This week, Moshe Machover, a Jewish mathematician and philosophy professor at the University of London, was expelled from the British Labour party, for having written an article called, “Anti-Zionism does not equal anti-Semitism”.
- Bob PITT: "The disgraceful expulsion of Moshé Machover from the Labour Party" (Medium, Oct 4, 2017): click here!
Outrageously, the charges against Moshé include the allegation that he is responsible for writing “an apparently antisemitic article”.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "Israeli anti-Zionist expelled from Labour amid anti-Semitism smear" (EI, Oct 4, 2017): click here!
A renowned Israeli anti-Zionist was expelled from Labour on Tuesday, as the party bureaucracy falsely accused him of anti-Semitism.
Retired philosophy professor Moshé Machover told The Electronic Intifada that the expulsion by the UK’s main opposition party was a “clear violation of natural justice,” was “Stalinist” and “completely undemocratic.”
- Jonathan COOK: "New group challenges role of Israel lobby inside Labour Party as effort to undermine Corbyn continues" (Mondoweiss, Oct 4, 2017): click here!
The speech by British Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn at last week’s annual party conference included an unequivocal declaration of solidarity with the Palestinians. “Let’s give real support to end the oppression of the Palestinian people, the 50-year occupation and illegal settlement expansion and move to a genuine two-state solution”.
- Jonathan ROSENHEAD: "Jewish Socialism Past and Present: Antisemitism, Israel, and the Labour Party" (Jewish Voice for Labour, Sept 30, 2017): click here!
Jewish Voice for Labour, a new organisation for Labour Party Jews who don’t want to buy into the Jewish Labour Movement’s pro-Zionist agenda, launched with a flourish at the Labour Party Annual Conference on Monday night 25th September. Or perhaps with a fanfare.
- Damien GAYLE: "UK university censors title of Holocaust survivor's speech criticising Israel" (The Guardian, Sept 29, 2017): click here!
Manchester University talk was to be titled ‘You’re doing to Palestinians what the Nazis did to me’ until Israeli diplomats intervened.
- Moshé MACHOVER: “Anti-Zionism does not equal anti-Semitism"" (Labour Party Marxists, Sept 21, 2017): click here! .
The whole campaign of equating opposition to Zionism with anti-Semitism has, in fact, been carefully orchestrated with the help of the Israeli government and the far right in the US. It is easy to explain why.
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Hamas bends over backwards yet EU retains snub" (EI, Sept 19, 2017): click here!
Far-reaching compromises by Hamas have been met in recent months with a firm wall of intransigence, both from Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas and from the so-called international community – especially the European Union.
- Judy MALTZ: "Jewish Agency Pulls Funding From Israel Experience Program Over West Bank Activism" (Haaretz, Sept 18, 2017): click here!
Following Jewish young adults' visiting an anti-occupation protest camp that is sometimes a flashpoint for violence, the Jewish Agency dumps the program runners.
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "EU lets Israel destroy West Bank schools it funded" (EI, Aug 28, 2017): click here!
During the five-hour assault in Jubbet al-Dib, Israeli forces declared the area a closed military zone and used stun grenades, tear gas and rubber-coated metal bullets to keep residents away as they dismantled and confiscated the buildings.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "New Jewish group in Labour Party backs right to BDS" (EI, Aug 17, 2017): click here!
Jewish members of the Labour Party have founded a new group. Jewish Voice for Labour will launch at the UK main opposition party’s conference in Brighton next month.
- Ali ABUNIMAH & Dena SHUNRA: "“Fuck it, wipe out Gaza,” says spokesman for new EU campaign" (EI, Aug 3, 2017): click here!
The European Union has hired an Israeli who advocates genocidal violence against Palestinians as the face of a new promotional campaign. Avishai Ivri appears in a video the EU embassy in Tel Aviv posted on its Facebook page last month.
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "The Balfour Declaration: Time to say sorry. Time we made amends" (Redress Information & Analysis, July 23, 2017): click here!
In a letter to a local newspaper about Brexit and the way Prime Minister Theresa May is handling it, I happened to mention in passing the Balfour Declaration, criticising her plans to celebrate the centenary “with pride” and invite Israel’s prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, to the fun.
- Amira HASS: "130 Diaspora Jews Stand Between the Israeli Army and a Palestinian Cave Village" (Haaretz, July 2, 2017): click here.
The Palestinian village of Sarura was destroyed in 1997 and its residents have not returned for fear of settler violence. Dozens of Jewish volunteers from the U.S., Canada and Australia have joined Palestinian activists in renovating it.
- David CRONIN: "Do European Parliament staff work for Israel?" (EI, June 29, 2017): click here.
At this juncture, it would be foolish to predict the full consequences of Brexit. One probability, however, is that Britain’s departure from the European Union will cause Israel to lose a few apologists in Brussels.Those apologists include Britain’s Conservative members of the European Parliament.
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Why is the EU funding Israeli torturers?" (EI, June 27, 2017): click here.
The European Union is illegally funding Israeli torturers and must stop, a group of prominent international legal experts has concluded. They say that the LAW-TRAIN program violates EU regulations and international law because one of the participants, Israel’s public security ministry, “is responsible for or complicit in torture, other crimes against humanity and war crimes.”
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "EU pledges to help Israel suppress criticism" (EI, June 26, 2017): click here.
During a visit to the Israeli foreign ministry in Jerusalem this week, EU justice commissioner Vera Jourova lauded efforts to remove so-called hate speech from online forums.
- David CRONIN: "Pro-Israel group NGO Monitor teams up with Europe’s far-right" (EI, June 23, 2017): click here.
Displaying enormous hypocrisy, NGO Monitor appears happy to ally itself with actual peddlers of bigotry. Next week, it will jointly host an event in the European Parliament chaired by a representative of the far-right Danish People’s Party.
- Daniel BARENBOIM: "Germany Is Repaying Its post-Holocaust Debts to Israel - but Not to the Palestinians" (Haaretz, June 8, 2017): click here.
Europe, whose anti-Semitism led to the Holocaust, also has moral and historical obligations towards the Palestinians, who still suffer its consequences.
- "Palestine, 50 ans sous occupation: en Belgique et en Europe, nous avons les moyens d'agir !" (RTBF, 6 juin, 2017): click here.
C’est donc en tant que citoyens d’horizons divers mais tous attachés aux valeurs de justice, de paix et d’égalité, que nous demandons que cessent l’occupation, la colonisation et l’impunité israélienne qui durent depuis 50 ans, afin que le peuple palestinien puisse enfin jouir de ses droits les plus fondamentaux et vivre dans la dignité et la liberté.
- Nikolas KOSMATOPOULOS: "Blue-washing settler-colonialism: The sea beyond Palestine and the maritime BDS" (Anthropologists for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions, June 5, 2017): click here.
Unconditionally backed by the sole superpower and equipped with one of the most advanced armies in the region, Israel promises to recover Greek geopolitical power in the region through enhanced cooperation in oil, tourism, and military affairs. In exchange, Greece supports Israel in crucial international votes.
- "EU Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation visits the Start-Up Nation" (Delegation of the European Union to Israel, May 17, 2017): click here.
The EU Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, Carlos Moedas, met Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Minister of Economy and Industry Eli Cohen, on 17 May to discuss Israel's successful participation in Horizon 2020.
- Jonathan ROSENHEAD: "In Defense of Ken Livingstone" (Haaretz, April 12, 2017): click here.
Quoting historical facts can hardly be anti-Semitic, which is presumably why the Labour Party didn’t even charge Livingstone with it.
- Jonathan OFIR: "Why so many are twisting Ken Livingstone’s words about Hitler and Zionism" (Mondoweiss, April 6, 2017): click here.
Two days ago, former London Mayor Ken Livingstone was sentenced to another year of suspension after a hearing by the Labour Party’s national constitutional committee (NCC) concerning his remarks on Hitler’s temporary support for Zionism.
- Barak RAVID: "Israel Slams EU: 32 Humanitarian Crises in the World and Europe's Obsessed With Palestinians" (Haaretz, April 5, 2017): click here.
The criticism comes after the European Union demanded that Israel stop demolishing Palestinian homes in Area C of the West Bank.
- Kamel HAWWASH: "The UK is quietly changing its policy on Israel and Palestine" (MEMo, April 5, 2017): click here.
Palestinians were delighted to see 2016 end with the UN Security Council passing resolution 2334 which reaffirmed the illegality of Israel’s settlement enterprise. The passing of the resolution was facilitated by the US abstention in the dying days of Obama’s administration. The UK played a key role in the drafting of the resolution and then voted in favour.
- Barak RAVID: "EU Sharply Protests Israeli Demolition of Palestinian Homes in Area C, Warns It Will Lead to 'Forced Transfer'" (Haaretz, April 4, 2017): click here.
A routine meeting between the Foreign Ministry's director and the EU envoys last week turned into a protest by the European states against Israel's plan to demolish a Bedouin village.
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "“Official” UK anti-Semitism definition gets two-finger salute from legal experts" (Redress Information and Analysis, April 1, 2017): click here!
The enemies of free speech were having a whale of a time – until this week. Britain’s political parties, further education establishments and BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) groups had been bludgeoned into silence on Israel’s crimes by a bogus definition of anti-Semitism formally adopted and deployed by government, police and assorted pro-Israel pimps, stooges and creeps.
- "Les Palestiniens pressent l’U.E. de cesser de tenir des réunions officielles avec le gouvernement israélien à Jérusalem" (Pour la Paix, 19 mars, 2017): click here!
L’U.E. n’en est pas, comme les États-Unis, à envisager de transférer officiellement sa représentation diplomatique de Tel Aviv (considérée par le monde entier à l’exception du gouvernement israélien comme la capitale) à Jérusalem (considérée par le monde entier à l’exception du gouvernement israélien comme une ville occupée, conquise par les armes).
- Michael LESHER: "Rabbi Sacks endorses religious crimes in video against BDS" (Mondoweiss, March 3, 2017): click here!
Jonathan Sacks, former Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom, has written some sensible things in the past, particularly about the dangers of religious exclusivism and about the roots of sectarian violence in what he calls the fallacy of “altruistic evil.”
- Robert FISK: "Theresa May wants British people to feel 'pride' in the Balfour Declaration. What exactly is there to be proud of?" (Independent, March 2, 2017): click here!
Balfour initiated a policy of British support for Israel which continues to this very day, to the detriment of the occupied Palestinians of the West Bank and the five million Palestinian refugees living largely in warrens of poverty around the Middle East, including Israeli-besieged Gaza. Surely we should apologise.
- David CRONIN: "Who funds Irish4Israel?" (EI, March 1, 2017): click here!
Each time Israel’s supporters in Ireland decide to smear the Palestine solidarity movement, there is a strong likelihood that a man called Barry Williams will be quoted in the media.
- "Free speech on Israel under attack in universities - Letter from 243 academics" (The Guardian, 27 Feb, 2017): click here!
"These are outrageous interferences with free expression, and are direct attacks on academic freedom. As academics with positions at UK universities, we wish to express our dismay at this attempt to silence campus discussion about Israel, including its violation of the rights of Palestinians for more than 50 years. It is with disbelief that we witness explicit political interference in university affairs in the interests of Israel under the thin disguise of concern about antisemitism."
- Ben WHITE: "Israeli Apartheid Week: How campus activism is being shut down by false charges of 'anti-Semitism'" (Middle East Eye, Feb 23, 2017): click here!
Earlier this week, the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) cancelled an event planned as part of ‘Israeli Apartheid Week’, on the grounds that it “contravenes” a controversial definition of anti-Semitism recently endorsed by the UK government.
- David CRONIN: "Israel lobby’s squirming over settlements won’t fool anyone" (The Electronic Intifada, Feb 22, 2017): click here!
The task of Israel’s advocates has become a lot more complicated. At least, that is the argument which one such lobbyist has been making. Alex Benjamin, head of the organization Europe Israel Public Affairs (EIPA), recently lamented that his friends and acquaintances in Brussels weren’t enamored by moves towards annexing most of the West Bank.
- Gabrielle LEFEVRE: "Tzipi Livni confrontée à la loi belge sur la compétence universelle" (entre les lignes, 20 janvier 2017): click here!
Tzipi Livni, ancienne ministre des Affaires étrangères d’Israël, renonce à venir à Bruxelles, attendue par la Justice belge au nom de la compétence universelle. Cette importante personnalité politique israélienne devait assister ce lundi 23 janvier au Parlement européen...
- "Exclusive: Israel lobby infiltrates UK student movement" (Al Jazeera Investigative Unit's series "The Lobby", Jan 11): click here!
Israeli embassy influencing students and founding youth groups in main parties, Al Jazeera’s Investigative Unit reveals.
- Jonathan COOK: "How many British MPs are working for Israel?" (Redress Information & Analysis, Jan 9, 2017): click here!
Aljazeera is to be congratulated on an undercover investigation exposing something most of us could probably have guessed: that some Israeli embassy staff in the UK – let’s not pussy around, Mossad agents – are working with senior political activists and politicians in the Conservative and Labour parties to subvert their own parties from within, and skew British foreign policy so that it benefits Israeli, rather than British, interests.
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "Christmas memo to Prime Minister Theresa May: Stop worshipping Israel. Learn the ugly truth" (Redress Information & Analysis, 21st Dec, 2016): click here!
This is still a Christian country, as your colleague David Cameron reminded us not so long ago. But you wouldn’t think so when non-Christian creeds are given exceptional protection and privileges to smooth their ruffled feathers. Your government is even introducing new laws to stifle questions about Israel’s legitimacy and quash criticism of its criminal policies.
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "UK Momentum’s Jackie Walker vs the Zionist inquisition" (Redress Information & Analysis, Nov 28, 2016): click here!
“Sacked Momentum vice-chair to address anti-Israel event… Labour activist Jackie Walker to speak at Palestine Solidarity Campaign church event,” screeched a Jewish News headline.
- Hugh LOVATT: "EU differentiation and the push for peace in Israel-Palestine" (European Council on Foreign Relations, Oct 31, 2016): click here!
Next year will mark the 50 year anniversary of Israel’s de facto annexation and prolonged occupation of Palestinian territory. The approaching milestone will bring with it a renewed focus on both the failings and future direction of international peacemaking efforts.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "UK lawmakers push to outlaw criticism of Zionism" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 16, 2016): click here!
A new report by an influential parliamentary committee has recommended that the UK outlaw the word “Zionist” when used “in an accusatory context.” Published on Sunday, the Home Affairs Select Committee’s report also slams Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn for heading a party with “institutionally anti-Semitic” elements.
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "Decency demands we smoke out the real perpetrators of war crimes against Aleppo and Gaza" (Redress Information & Analysis, Oct 14, 2016): click here!
As Western outrage erupts over the relentless destruction of Aleppo and its people, why is there no similar clamour for a halt to the more prolonged pulverising of Gaza and the continuing slaughter of civilians there?
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "Never mention the J-word – it’s not applicable to Palestine!" (Redress Information & Analysis, Sept 20, 2016): click here!
It seems our politicians, on both sides of the Atlantic, are under instructions to drop the J-word from their vocabulary. I mean J-for-Justice, conspicuously missing from any discussion about Middle East peace and, more specifically, an end to the hell in the Holy Land.
- Maya WAHRMAN: "Blame the West for ISIS? Yes - but Go Back to 1925" (Haaretz, Sept 5, 2016): click here!
In 2016, ISIS is asking Iraqis the same question (though brutally and violently) as the West’s bureaucrats did in 1925: Who belongs and who does not?
- Eric ALTERMAN: "Israel, Don't Tell Diaspora Jews How to Be 'More Jewish' " (Haaretz, August 24, 2016): click here!
It's hard to tell what's more offensive about Netanyahu and Bennett's new initiative to 'strengthen' Jewish identity abroad: the idea itself or its ham-handed, arrogant and ultimately counterproductive execution.
- Jonny BOYLE: "Saint-Etienne Fans Fly Palestine Flags v Beitar Jerusalem a Week After Celtic Fans Do Same" (Talking Baws, August 26, 2016): click here!
Saint-Etienne fans flew Palestine flags during their game against Beitar Jerusalem last night just a week after Celtic did the same against Hapoel Be’er Sheva.
- Nasim AHMED: "How deep is the connection between Celtic fans and Palestine?" (MEMo, August 25, 2016): click here!
Thousands were touched by the Celtic fans’ show of solidarity with the Palestinian people. Large sections of the stadium turned into a sea of green, red, black and white as fans raised the Palestinian flag despite repeated warnings from European football’s governing body (UEFA).
- Nitzan HOROWITZ: "The Messiah Won’t Come to Israel From Across the Atlantic" (Haaretz, August 24, 2016): click here!
The longing for international pressure is not only pointless, but enfeebling and enervating.”
- Uri SAVIR: "Is EU giving up on Israel-Palestine conflict?" (Al Monitor, August 21, 2016): click here!
With the US preoccupied by elections, Egypt not committed, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas politically weak and Israel reluctant, the European Union is about to give up on the two-state solution process.
- "European parliamentarians’ delegation to Palestine demands freedom for Bilal Kayed, end of administrative detention" (Samidoun, August 19, 2016): click here!
A group of European parliamentarians and lawyers recently returned from a delegation to Palestine organized by Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, working in cooperation with Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association.
- David ROSENBERG: "Arm-twisters and Stormtroopers" (Pluto Press Blog, August 19, 2016): click here!
Open any British newspaper, from the Guardian to the Mail, and be confronted with anti-Corbyn smears. Attacks that have included criticism of poor local election results, weak media management or “woeful” Prime Minister’s Questions performances are now fixated on linking Corbyn with a supposedly ‘endemic’ anti-semitism in Labour’s rank and file.
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "Another of Israel’s pimps to become Labour’s saviour?" (Redress Information and Analysis, August 16, 2016): click here!
Unbelievably, Labour Party chiefs are trying to persuade David Miliband to come back from New York, parachute into a safe seat and snatch the Labour Party leadership from Jeremy Corbyn, according to newspaper reports.
- "Grossière ingérence israélienne dans les "libertés académiques" en Allemagne : l'Université d'Hildesheim gravement diffamée" (Luc Delval, Pour la Palestine, 10 août): click here!
De toute éternité, les humains ont eu besoin de se raconter de belles histoires pour se rassurer. Les contes de fée, le Père Noël, l'amour éternel, le gouvernement du peuple par le peuple, le Tour de France ou les Jeux olympiques sans dopage, ... les libertés académiques face au sionisme.
- "UK calls on Israel to halt illegal settlement activity, condems plans for 323 new units in Jerusalem" (Ma'an, July 30, 2016): click here!
British Minister for the Middle East Tobias Ellwood condemned on Thursday Israel's decision moving forward with another 323 illegal settlement units in occupied East Jerusalem.
- Yotam BERGER: "EU Slams Israel's Destruction of Palestinian Homes in West Bank's Area C" (Haaretz, July 27, 2016): click here!
Israel has granted only 44 construction permits in response to over 2,000 requests, Lars Faaborg-Andersen tells Knesset meeting. Buildings that were destroyed were 'illegal buildings,' Israeli body says in response.
- "EU eyes Israeli technology for surveillance: Official" (Press-TV, July 22, 2016): click here!
Many of the Israeli arms technologies being sold to Europe are used in the repression of Palestinians, including in the destructive 2014 war on the besieged and densely-populated Gaza Strip.
- Peter BEINART: "What I Saw Last Friday in Hebron" (Haaretz, July 19, 2016): click here!
Palestinians asked American Jews to join them in a 'Freedom Summer.' The result was extraordinary.
- Peter BEAUMONT: "Ambassadors protest at Israel's confiscation of West Bank shelters" (The Guardian, July 18, 2016): click here!
Eight ambassadors to Israel have written to the Israeli military accusing it of breaking international humanitarian law by confiscating shelters for Bedouins in the occupied West Bank that were paid for by European governments.
- Andrew RETTMAN: "EU: Israeli occupation is 'root' cause of violence" (EU Observer, July 15, 2016): click here!
EU states, in an internal report drafted last year, have said the outbreak of Palestinian knife and car-ramming attacks against Israelis in Jerusalem is due, in large part, to Israel’s occupation. They said the attacks began after right-wing Israeli politicians and religious groups began to question the status quo on Arab rights at the Temple Mount complex in the Old City.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "Media concoct firestorm as Jeremy Corbyn launches anti-Semitism report" (The Electronic Intifada, 30 June, 2016): click here!
A lawmaker caused a media firestorm at the launch of an independent UK Labour Party report into anti-Semitism and racism on Thursday. The report failed to back claims that the Labour Party had been overrun by anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and other forms of racism.
- Maren MANTOVANI: "Europe still funding Israeli torture, drones and racial profiling" (Middle East Eye, 29 June, 2016): click here!
As European leaders are gathered in Brussels to discuss the future of the EU, they would be well advised to put into effect values of accountability, justice and solidarity - and halt funding for Israel's repressive apparatus against Palestinians.
- "EU moet sancties in stelling brengen om einde te maken aan Israëlische bezetting" (11.11.11, juni 2016): klik hier! Trad. sur Pour la Palestine: cliquez ici!
Op 3 juni 2016 verzamelden buitenlandministers uit 29 landen in Parijs voor een internationale conferentie over het Israëlisch-Palestijnse vredesproces. De slotverklaring raakte niet verder dan de recyclage van elementen waarover al decennia lang een consensus bestaat.
- "Middle East Peace process" (European External Action Service, June 15, 2016): klik hier!
The Resolution of the Arab-Israeli conflict is a fundamental interest of the EU. The EU’s objective is a two-state solution with an independent, democratic, viable and contiguous Palestinian state living side-by-side in peace and security with Israel and its other neighbours.
- Barak RAVID: "EU Warns Israel: Policy of Demolishing Palestinian Homes in Area C Will Harm Relations" (Haaretz, May 31, 2016): click here!
Israeli official details tense and difficult meeting in which the EU expressed opposition to 'home demolition and forced evacuation of populations.'
- Gili COHEN: "Israel's Weapons Sales to Europe More Than Double Amid Refugee Crisis" (Haaretz, May 31, 2016): click here!
Sales to Europe grew from $724 million in 2014 to $1.63 billion in 2015, presumably as a consequence of the refugee crisis and the rise in terror attacks on the continent. Sales to North America also climbed, to $1.02 billion.
- "European License for Israeli Torture: the EU-Israel LAW TRAIN joint project" (Stop the Wall, May 30, 2016, pdf, 10p.): click here!
New concerns arise as activists discovered the EU-Israel partnership through the LAWTRAIN Project in the framework of the EU HORIZON 2020. The project is meant to unify the methodology for interrogation among Israeli and EU police forces and is a de facto normalisation of Israel’s most cruel practices, including physical and psychological torture, ill-treatment, arbitrary detention, threats, racial discrimination.
- Brigitte HERREMANS: "The EU’s Self-Defeating Aid Policy towards Palestine" (Centre for European Policy Studies, CEPS Policy Brief, N° 343, May, 2016, pdf, 10p.): click here!
Motivated by the dual aims of strengthening the Middle East Peace Process and contributing to Palestinian state-building, the European Union and its member states have been the biggest donors of financial assistance to the Palestinians.
- Yitzhak LAOR: "Corbyn and Israel: Concept and Reality" (Verso Books, May 18e, 2016): click here!
The concept of Israel has become a hidden cornerstone within political consensus in Western European states. This is not unrelated to the disappearing differences between the traditional Left and Right. Within the current political climate, not only Germany but also all other western states are ‘friends of Israel’.
- "Israel dismantles EU-funded homes in Jerusalem-area Bedouin neighborhood" (Ma'an, May 16, 2016): click here!
Some 90 Palestinian Bedouins, the majority of them children, were left homeless on Monday when Israeli forces disassembled EU-donated mobile homes without giving prior notice in the Jabal al-Baba neighborhood in the outskirts of the village of al-Eizariya east of Jerusalem.
- Hilary AKED: "Israel lobby in Brussels exposed" (The New Arab, 12 mei, 2016): click here!
A detailed new report raises troubling questions for all those who retain hope for a transparent and democratic Europe that is supportive of the Palestinian struggle, writes Hilary Aked.
- Lode VANOOST: "Israël-lobby VS financiert Israël-lobby in Brussel en EU" (De Wereld Morgen, 11 mei, 2016): click here!
In een rapport beschrijven drie onderzoekers hoe rechtse Amerikaanse organisaties en personen die in de VS islamofobie en steun voor de koloniale nederzettingen van Israël in Palestina promoten ook financieel actief zijn in Brussel om de Europese pro-Israël-lobby te ondersteunen. Hun onderzoek nam twee jaar in beslag.
- Jonathan COOK: "Once, most Jews viewed Israel as the anti-semite’s best friend" (Mondoweiss, May 10, 2016): click here!
It was an assessment no one expected from the deputy head of the Israeli military. In his Holocaust Day speech last week, Yair Golan compared current trends in Israel with Germany in the early 1930s, as Nazism took hold.
- "Israëlische vernielingen van Palestijnse eigendommen: tijd voor Europese actie" (Knack, 7 mei, 2016): click here!
Slopingen zijn geen nieuw fenomeen in bezet Palestijns gebied, maar een essentieel onderdeel van het wrede leven onder de bijna 50 jaar durende Israëlische bezetting. De schaal van de afgelopen maanden is echter ongezien, schrijft 11.11.11.
- Max BLUMENTHAL: "How Opponents of UK Labour Leader Corbyn Advanced a Political Coup with Antisemitism Smears" (AlterNet, May 6, 2016): click here!
Inside the pro-Israel campaign to crush Labour’s left-wing insurgency... Though Labour performed far better in the May 5 local elections than a generally hostile media predicted, Corbyn’s opponents are determined to paint him as unelectable, just as they did during last year’s campaign for leadership.
- Philip WEISS & Adam HOROWITZ: "Saying Israel has no right to exist as a Jewish state is not anti-Semitic" (Mondoweiss, May 3, 2016): click here!
In practice, the Jewish State in Israel/Palestine has meant an ethnocracy where Jews are given special and exclusive rights over other citizens and non-citizens under the sovereignty of the Israeli government. This is a system that we (Horowitz and Weiss) reject for political, personal and moral reasons that are in no way connected to vilifying or discriminating against Jews, the traditional definition of anti-Semitism.
- Jonathan COOK: "The true anti-semites, past and present" (Jonathan Cook, May 3, 2016): click here!
We are desperately in need of some sanity as the British political and media establishment seek to generate yet another “new anti-semitism” crisis, on this occasion to undermine a Jeremy Corbyn-led Labour party before the upcoming local elections.
- Robert COHEN: "Advice to British leftwingers on kicking racism out of their anti-Israel rhetoric" (Mondoweiss, May 2, 2016): click here!
Too often I see those in solidarity with Palestinians lose the plot and allow opponents to grab the agenda and deflect attention from where the suffering really exists. That’s exactly what’s been happening in Britain this week as a row over antisemitism in the Labour Party has dominated the news.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "Uses and abuses of the word ‘Zionism’" (MEMo, May 2, 2016): click here!
Michael Levy, the Labour Party peer and Tony Blair’s former “Lord Cashpoint” claimed on BBC Newsnight a few days ago that “using the word Zionist” is “another form of anti-Semitism”. Using the word. This is an astonishing new level in the attempt to crush dissent over Israel and designate thought crimes.
- Carolina LANDSMAN: "Saying 'No' to Israel While Giving It the Go-ahead" (Haaretz, May 2, 2016): click here!
When the world’s conduct is understood in terms of guilt, one realizes that it needs to be helped to understand that the best way to see to the wellbeing of Israel is to present it with boundaries.
- Robert MACKEY: "Why a British Fight Over Israel and Anti-Semitism Matters to the Rest of Us" (The Intercept, May 1, 2016): click here!
At first glance, the heated argument two members of the British Labour Party conducted in front of reporters’ iPhones on Thursday, sparked by accusations that one of their colleagues posted anti-Semitic comments on Facebook, seems like a story of interest mainly to political junkies in London.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "How Israel lobby manufactured UK Labour Party’s anti-Semitism crisis" (The Internet Intifada, April 28, 2016): click here!
Last year, socialist stalwart Jeremy Corbyn won the leadership of the UK’s Labour Party by a landslide. Since then, there has been a steady flow of claims by Israel’s supporters that Corbyn has not done enough to combat anti-Semitism.
- Maidhc Ó CATHAIL: "Likud Becomes a Regional Member of the European Parliament" (CounterPunch, April 27, 2016): click here.
Although Israel is geographically located in Asia, the self-described “Jewish state” has emphasized its Europeanness whenever it has suited it to do so.
- Rashid KHALIDI: "The US Elections, Attacks on Activists, and a Changing Discourse" (Al Shabaka, April 25, 2016): click here.
In his 2013 book "Brokers of Deceit: How the U.S. Has Undermined Peace in the Middle East", Al-Shabaka Policy Advisor Rashid Khalidi identified three main patterns that have characterized United States policy towards the conflict since 1948: The complaisance of Arab rulers that need US support against their own peoples; presidential solicitude for domestic constituencies; and US unconcern about the fate of the Palestinians.
- Steven J. ROSEN: "The EU’s Israel Problem Goes Far Beyond Labels" (The Tower Magazine, January 2016): click here.
Although Europe’s most important leaders are vocally opposed to boycotts of Israel, unelected bureaucrats in Brussels are working to make isolating Israel an official EU policy.
- Hugh LOVATT and Mattia TOALDO: "Eu Differentiation and Israeli Settlements" (European Council on Foreign Relations, July 2015, pdf, 12p.): click here.
- Barak RAVID: "EU Document Suggests Recalling Envoys if Israeli Settlements Threaten Two-state Solution" (Haaretz, Nov 17, 2014)): click here.
Two-page document includes two chapters of ‘sticks’ to be used against Israel, a chapter of ‘carrots’ for the Palestinians.
- David CRONIN: "Revealed: EU science chief promised to be “flexible” towards Israel’s war crimes" (The Internet Intifada, 15 Oct 2014): click here!
Israel’s war crimes sometimes have to be overlooked, according to a senior European Union representative. During 2013, Israel reacted angrily when Brussels officials issued a policy paper stating that the EU would not award funding to firms and institutions based in Jewish-only settlements in the occupied West Bank.
- Leandros FISCHER: "The German Left’s Palestine Problem" (Jacobin, 12 March, 2014)): click here!
Die Linke’s position on Palestine has isolated it from the global solidarity movement.
"Israeli forces use Palestinian girl as a human shield in Jenin" (Defense for Children International-Palestine, May 19, 2022).
Shatha HAMMAD: "Israeli forces fatally shoot two young Palestinians in occupied West Bank" (Middle East Eye, April 13, 2022).
"Israel kills Palestinian boy in Jenin raid" (MEMo, March 31, 2022).
Staat van Beleg: " Israëlische Schendingen februari 2022 " (7 maart 2022).
Jesse Rosenfeld, Oren Ziv & Ahmad Al-Bazz : "Triple West Bank assassination recalls darkest days of the Intifada" (+972, Feb 15, 2022).
Jack Khoury & Yaniv Kubovich: "Man Killed by Israeli Fire Near Ramallah, Palestinian Health Ministry Says" (Haaretz, Feb 15, 2022).
"Israel’ Issues 1595 Administrative Detention Orders Against Palestinians In 2021" PalestineOnline, Jan 2, 2022).
"Israel a tué 357 Palestiniens, dont 79 enfants et 69 femmes en 2021 " (EuroPalestine, 2 janvier 2022).
Gideon LEVY: "A Brief History of Killing Children " Haaretz, Nov 20, 2021).
Allison WEIR: "Israeli forces have killed 39 Palestinian men, women, & children since May" (Israel-Palestine News, Oct 19, 2021).
"Israel settlers open fire on Palestine homes in West Bank" (Middle East Monitor, September 11, 2021).
Gideon LEVY: "Yes, the Palestinian Prison Escapees Are Freedom Fighters” (Haaretz, Sept 9, 2021; archive.today).
"Developing news: Six Palestinian political prisoners liberate themselves from colonial Israeli prison” (Samidoun, Sept 5, 2021).
"Israeli troops kill Palestinian teen in West Bank clash” (Middle East Eye, July 24, 2021).
Tamara NASSAR: "Israeli gunfire takes lives of two more Palestinian teens” (+972, July 15, 2021). Yuval ABRAHAM: "Joint militias: How settlers and soldiers teamed up to kill four Palestinians” (+972, July 15, 2021)."Palestinian boy loses eye after Israel soldiers shoot him” (Middle East Monitor, April 12, 2021).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "Palestinians Protested the Theft of Their Land. An Israeli Army Officer Shot One of Them in the Head” (Haaretz, March 26, 2021). "Israel to displace 1,550 Palestinians to build park in Jerusalem” (MEMo, March 18, 2021)."Reconstitution de l’exécution d’un Palestinien qui ne constituait aucune menace” (EuroPalestine, 27 février, 2021).Mairav ZONSZEIN: "Vaccination Under Occupation” (Jewish Currents, 12 Jan, 2021).Orly NOY: "Why B’Tselem is calling Israel an apartheid regime, from the river to the sea” (Mondoweiss, 12 Jan, 2021)."Deaf Palestinian man shot by Israeli soldiers dies of his wounds” (Israel Palestine News, Dec 11, 2020)."New Israeli ambassador in Britain describes Nakba as 'Arab lie'” (Middle East Monitor, Dec 8, 2020).
"Israeli settlers flood Palestinian farmland with sewage” (Middle East Monitor, Oct 19, 2020).Ahmad MELHEM: "Family of Palestinian boy disfigured in 2015 firebomb attack still seeking justice” (Al-Monitor, Sept 20, 2020).Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Palestinian child shot by Israel dies in detention.” (The Electronic Intifada, August 21, 2020).Yumna PATEL: "Young Palestinian woman killed by Israeli forces in Jenin.” 23-year-old Dalia Samoudi is the 24th Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces in the occupied Palestinian territories this year (Mondoweiss, August 7, 2020)."Israeli Soldiers Demolish Under-Construction Covid-19 Testing Center in Hebron” (IMEMC, July 21 2020). "Mother of Slain Palestinian: “My Son Was A Child In A Man’s Body”" (IMEMC, June 31 2020).Sondos SALEH: "Mustafa Went to Tel Aviv for Hospital Tests. He Was Shot Dead" (Haaretz, May 19, 2020).Jonathan OFIR: "Slapping Israeli Apartheid — the sentencing of Yifat Doron" (Mondoweiss, May 15, 2020)."Israëlische politieman schiet Palestijnse jongen kogel in het gezicht" (The Rights Forum, 18 feb, 2020).Jonathan OFIR: "Getting away with murder: Why Israeli police left Bedouin teacher to bleed to death in 2017." Some murder cases are so full of lies, that every attempt to hide them from public view only brings more attention to the crime. Such is the case of the extrajudicial execution three years ago of Israeli Bedouin citizen Yaqub Mousa Abu al-Qia’an. (Mondoweiss, March 1, 2020).Amira HASS: "The Trump Plan’s Vision for the Palestinians: Israel’s Security Slave." Direct lines can be seen between the ‘deal of the century,’ the Oslo Accords and their fraudulent implementation, which led to the creation of separate Palestinian enclaves. (Haaretz, Jan 31, 2020)."B’Tselem: Israel soldiers ‘wantonly’ shoot Palestinian children" (Palestine Post24, Dec 18, 2019)."Lost count? Israel killed 43 Palestinians in November" (If Americans Knew, Dec 5, 2019).Jonathan COOK: "Israel prepares to turn Bedouin citizens into refugees in their own country" (Mondoweiss, Oct 16, 2019).A. Daniel ROTH: "Each morning brings the fear of losing everything" (+972, Aug 25, 2019).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "The Protest Dispersed. Then an Israeli Sniper Shot a 9-year-old Boy in the Head" (Haaretz, July 20, 2019, via IAK).Entsar ABU JAHAL: "Plenty of fish in Gaza sea, but not for Palestinians" (Al-Monitor, June 14, 2019).Myriam DEPREZ: "Susiya: The build-and-destroy dance of Israel’s demolitions" (Middle East Monitor, May 10, 2019).OCHA (oPt), Child labour increasing in Gaza" (OCHA - Monthly Humanitarian Bulletin, April 2019, May 14, 2019).Netta AHITUV, "Endless trip to hell': Israel jails hundreds of Palestinian boys a year. These are their testimonies" (Breaking the Silence via Haaretz, March 16, 2019).Tamara NASSAR: "Israel’s war on its Palestinian citizens" (The Internet Intifada, 26 Feb, 2019).Gideon LEVY: "In Land of Illegal Outposts and Hate Crimes, Another Palestinian Life Claimed" (Haaretz, Jan 27, 2019)."Report: Crimes against Humanity: Israel killed at least 45 Palestinian children in Gaza" (Ma'an News Agency, Jan 19, 2019).Yumna PATEL: "‘Waging War on Shufat’: Jerusalem municipality demolishes 21 businesses in East Jerusalem refugee camp" (Mondoweiss, Nov 22, 2018). Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israeli soldier executed Gaza teen at close range: witness" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 13, 2018)."September 2018 report: 378 Palestinians arrested as Khader Adnan, Omran al-Khatib continue hunger strikes" (Samidoun, Oct 11, 2018)."Palestinians Protest Planned Demolition of Khan al-Ahmar" (Telesur, July 28, 2018).Yumna PATEL: "Israeli forces kill 15-year-old Palestinian in refugee camp raid" (Mondoweiss, July 23, 2018).Amira HASS: "Night raids and attack dogs: For West Bank Palestinians, their homes are not their castles" (Haaretz, June 17, 2018).Neve GORDON: "Gaza's Passover massacre" (Al-Jazeera, April 1, 2018)"Israel killed 3 Palestinian civilians, injured 500, in first half of March" (Middle East Monitor, March 16)Omar KARMI: “Gaza in a vice” (The Electronic Intifada, Feb 13, 2018).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: “Like a Safari: Israeli Troops in Jeeps Hunt a Palestinian Teen and Shoot Him in the Head” (Haaretz, Feb 9, 2018, now freely available via: If Americans Knew).Amira HASS: "On the Margins of the Murder”, (Haaretz, Nov 12, 2017): click here! "Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians, including 4 minors, in overnight raids" (Ma'an, March 29, 2017).Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017)."Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).Emily MULDER: "Israeli guard: 'Go from this land or I will kill you'" (Al Jazeera, Dec 26, 2016)."A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016)."Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016)."Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016)."Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016)."After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016)."Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016)."UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016).Mazal MUALEM: "'Hate wedding' video offers glimpse at Jewish terror" (Al-Monitor, Dec 28, 2015).Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Catastrophe for Syrians and Palestinians alike in war-ravaged country" (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2015).Shlomi ELDAR: "Why the US is part of Middle East problem, not the solution". Interview with Ayman Odeh (Al-Monitor, Dec 14, 2015).Philip WEISS: "Obama’s ISIS czar says we can’t defeat extremism without resolving Palestinian issue" (Mondoweiss, Dec 14, 2015).Uri SAVIR: "How the Islamic State hurts Palestinian cause" (Al-Monitor, Dec 6, 2015).Al Jazeera: "Gaza's crumbling healthcare system" (Yahoo.com, Dec 8, 2015).Nurit CANETTI: "The radicalization of Israel" (Al-Monitor, Dec 2, 2015).Kate: "Prominent Israeli settler runs over 16-year-old girl, then shoots her dead" (Mondoweiss, Nov 23, 2015).Gideon LEVY: "So These Are Israel's New Heroes?" Israel's recent military operations in Palestinian hospitals are a blatant violation of the Geneva Convention, and make you wonder how low the country can sink (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2015).Philip WEISS: "The best way for Americans to defeat the Islamic state is to end support for Jewish nationalism" (Mondoweiss, Nov 15, 2015).Ahmed MOOR: "The Problem of Palestine is Zionism" (Fair Observer, Nov 11, 2015).Miko PELED: "Zionism is racism: Notes from Tel-Rumeida, Hebron, El-Khalil" (American Herald Tribune, Nov 13, 2015).Megan HANNA: "‘It Has Become A Prison’: The ghettoization of Hebron" (Mondoweiss, Nov 11, 2015).Avigail ABARBANEL: "Netanyahu’s craziness is calculated, to drive out Palestinians" (Mondoweiss, Nov 5, 2015).Michel WARSCHAWSKI: "La jeunesse palestinienne à couteaux tirés avec Israël" (Orient XXI, 15 Oct 2015).Kamel HAWWASH: "Palestinians have a problem with occupiers not (with) Jews" (MEMO, Oct 30, 2015)."Palestijnse baby vermoord met traangas" (Alexandrina, Oct 31, 2015).Ali ABUNIMAH: "Israel’s executions of Palestinian teens must end, Amnesty says" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 28, 2015).Killian REDDEN: "Hebron at eye of the storm as death toll rises" (Ma'an News Agency, Oct 26, 2015)."Netanyahu Shamelessly Exploits the Shoah to Stoke Fear of Palestinians" (Jewish Voice for Peace, Oct 21, 2015).Amos GVIRTZ: "From Unilateral- to Bilateral War - or: How the Palestinians Fight to Prevent Being Expelled From the Country" (Occupation Magazine, Oct 20, 2015).Noam SHEIZAF: "Jerusalem, in context" (+972, October 19, 2015). "The current events in Jerusalem have a political history and context. Attempts to attribute the violence to some kind of Palestinian pathology while ignoring other factors is a recipe for making things worse."Meron RAPOPORT: "The paradox of Jerusalem" (Middle East Eye, October 17, 2015).
Voor het archief klik hier!
- * Motasem A DALLOUL: "Who's going to stop the madness of extremist ministers of next Israeli government? " (Haaretz, Nov 11, 2022).
- Jack KHOURY & Hagar SHEZAF: "14-year-old Among Two Palestinian Teens Killed Within Hours of Each Other by IDF Fire in West Bank" (Haaretz, Nov 11, 2022).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "This Palestinian Teen Was Shot Twice, Cuffed and Detained by Israeli Troops – Then Released" (Haaretz, Sept 2, 2022).
- "Invading Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian photographing them, Injure 17 in Jenin" (Israel-Palestine News, Sept 6, 2022).
- Defense for Children International-Palestine: "Israeli settler, soldier shoot and kill Palestinian boy" (DCIP, August 1, 2022).
- Tamara NASSAR: "Israeli forces kill fleeing Palestinian child" (EI, 6 July, 2022).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israel executes three Palestinians in Jenin" (The Electronic Intifada, June 18, 2022).
- "Thirteen Palestinian children killed in the West Bank since January 2022" (UNICEF, May 29, 2022).