- Walid HABBAS: « Shrinking the Conflict: Debunking Israel’s New Strategy » Al-Shabaka, March 6, 2023): click here!
Since 2021, Israeli leaders have proposed a new series of economic policies under the approach of “shrinking the conflict.” This strategy aims to afford Palestinians more economic opportunities and so-called freedoms as a way to sustain the Israeli occupation. In this policy brief, Al-Shabaka policy analyst Walid Habbas debunks the framework and explains why Palestinians will not be pacified with economic incentives.
- Amjad IRAQI: « "The myth of the ‘cycle of violence’" (+972, January 31, 2023): click here!
Palestinians spotlight Israeli brutality to demand an end to their oppression; Israelis spotlight Palestinian violence to justify that oppression.
- Yair WALLACH: "The racial logic behind Palestine’s partition” (+972, Jan 10, 2013): click here!
Partition was rarely endorsed as a solution to settler colonialism. But Europe's racialization of Jews distinguished Zionism from other settler enterprises.
- Peter BEINART: “Israel’s Ascendant Far Right Can’t Be Understood by Analogy” (Jewish Currents, Nov 7, 2022): click here!
In other countries, the right clashes with the center over the basic nature of the state—but Israel’s Itamar Ben-Gvir and his rivals are on the same page about ethnocracy..
- Mitchell PLITNICK, « The question of violence » (Mondoweiss, Oct 22, 2022): click here!
The use of violence is a tragedy, in all cases. But it is even more tragic to allow it only to an oppressor while forbidding it to the oppressed.
- Yara HAWARI, « Arab Normalization and the Palestinian Struggle for Liberation » (Al-Shabaka, Oct 18, 2022; pdf, 5p.: click here!): click here!
The term "normalization" emerged following the signing of the 1979 Egypt-Israel peace treaty, which stated that the "signatories shall establish among themselves relationships normal to states at peace with one another." Previously, relations with the Israeli regime were more colloquially referred to as khiyanah (betrayal or treachery). In response to the term "normalization," Palestinians and Arabs began using "anti-normalization" to describe the refusal to deal with the Israeli regime as a normal entity. While the shallow discourse of peace-building that emerged from the 1993 Oslo Accords initially overshadowed anti-normalization efforts, in 2007, Palestinian civil society renewed its consensus on the subject through the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.
- David HEARST, “Who are the terrorists?': How a new Palestinian generation is fighting occupation” (MEE, Oct 10, 2022): click here!
From the farmers of the South Hebron Hills under attack by settlers to the armed groups of Jenin Camp facing nightly raids, a new wave of West Bank resistance is building.
- Omar H.RAHMAN, “Why Israel’s plan of subcontracting the occupation is failing” (+972, Sept 27, 2022): click here!
Rare confrontations in Nablus last week show how the Palestinian Authority, backed by a discordant Israeli policy, has lost legitimacy among its people.
- Nadim BAWALSA, « The Case for Palestinian Nationality » (Al-Shabaka, Sept 19, 2022): click here!
Exiled Palestinians' right to Palestinian nationality is protected under international law, irrespective of racist Israeli apartheid policies."
- Ramzy BAROUD, "The lesson of Sabra and Shatila is far-reaching" (Middle East Monitor, Sept 12, 2022): click here!
The 40th anniversary of the Sabra and Shatila massacre falls on 16 September. Around 3,000 Palestinian refugees were killed at the hands of Lebanon's Phalangist militias operating under the command of the Israeli army.
- Yousef M. ALJAMAL, "Ramon and Gaza: A Tale of Two Airports" (Politics Today, 22 August 2022): click here!
Here is an even better idea: build an airport for Palestinians in the West Bank and another one for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, and let them travel freely.
- Ramzy BAROUD, "Palestinians need to be purveyors of consciousness, not victimhood" (Arab News, June 27, 2022): click here!
The Palestinian struggle cannot be reduced to a conversation about poverty or the horrors of war, but must be expanded to include the wider political contexts that led to the current tragedies in the first place. The role of the Palestinian intellectual cannot stop at conveying the victimization of the people of Palestine, leaving the much more consequential — and intellectually demanding — role of unpacking historical, political and geopolitical facts to others, some of whom often speak on behalf of Palestinians.
- David HEARST, "'A dangerous message': How the West is enabling Israel's orgy of violence against Palestinians" (Middle East Eye, Aug 10, 2022): click here!
There can be no clearer demonstration of the hollowness of western values than in the persistent, cynical and criminal failure to bring Israel to book for its actions.
- Tamam MOHSEN, "How colonizers weaponize rape: reflections from the Palestinian case" (Mondoweiss, Aug 8, 2022): click here!
Israel's use of rape as an instrument of war is nothing new... What's unique is that it has been at war with the Palestinians for 74 years. In the case of Palestine, an understanding of rape during the Nakba as a tool of settler-colonialism will help us cement a new conception of sexual and gender-based violence that defies the dominant reductionist discourse regarding rape as a regrettable yet inevitable consequence of war.
- Ramzy BAROUD, "Why Resistance Matters: Palestinians are Challenging Israel’s Unilateralism, Dominance" (The Palestine Chronicle, Aug 3, 2022): click here!
Until recently, Israeli politics did not matter to Palestinians. Though the Palestinian people maintained their political agency under the most demoralizing conditions, their collective action rarely influenced outcomes in Israel, partly due to the massive discrepancy of power between the two sides. Now that Israelis are embarking on their fifth election in less than four years, it is important to raise the question: “How do Palestine and the Palestinians factor in Israeli politics?”
- B'TSELEM, "Supreme Court rules: Israel above the law" (B'Tselem, May 29, 2022): click here!
On 4 May 2022, the eve of Israel’s 74th Independence Day, the Supreme Court delivered its judgment on the state’s plan to expel some 1,000 Palestinians from their homes in the South Hebron Hills in the West Bank.
- Lawrence DAVIDSON, "The Dying Myth of Israeli Democracy" (To the Point Analysis, 22 March 2022): click here!
A lot of Americans, from the president on down, seem obsessed with the fate of Ukraine. The story, as told by almost every media outlet in the country, is all about Russian actions and their horrid consequences: the brazen invasion, the destruction of Ukrainian cities, the refugees, and the dead. There appears to be no interest in the role Washington and its European allies played in starting this bloody mess...
- Lawrence DAVIDSON, "The Israeli Pogrom—An Analysis" (To the Point Analysis, 31 January 2022): click here!
Part I—Israel’s Violent Squatters. On 21 January 2022, an organized gang of over a dozen masked Zionist “settlers” from the Givat Ronen outpost on the Occupied West Bank attacked Palestinians planting trees near the village of Burin. There were seven Israeli Jewish supporters with the Palestinians. The “settlers” attacked them as well....
- Abe SILBERSTEIN, "A Logic of Elimination" (Jewish Currents, January 11, 2022): click here!
Historian Lorenzo Veracini discusses settler colonialism, Zionism, and decolonial futures.
Tamara NASSAR: "Israeli forces kill fleeing Palestinian child" (EI, 6 July, 2022). Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israel executes three Palestinians in Jenin" (The Electronic Intifada, June 18, 2022). "Thirteen Palestinian children killed in the West Bank since January 2022" (UNICEF, May 29, 2022). "Israeli forces use Palestinian girl as a human shield in Jenin" (Defense for Children International-Palestine, May 19, 2022). Shatha HAMMAD: "Israeli forces fatally shoot two young Palestinians in occupied West Bank" (Middle East Eye, April 13, 2022). "Israel kills Palestinian boy in Jenin raid" (MEMo, March 31, 2022).Staat van Beleg: " Israëlische Schendingen februari 2022 " (7 maart 2022). Jesse Rosenfeld, Oren Ziv & Ahmad Al-Bazz : "Triple West Bank assassination recalls darkest days of the Intifada" (+972, Feb 15, 2022).Jack Khoury & Yaniv Kubovich: "Man Killed by Israeli Fire Near Ramallah, Palestinian Health Ministry Says" (Haaretz, Feb 15, 2022). "Israel’ Issues 1595 Administrative Detention Orders Against Palestinians In 2021" PalestineOnline, Jan 2, 2022)."Israel a tué 357 Palestiniens, dont 79 enfants et 69 femmes en 2021 " EuroPalestine, 2 janvier 2022).Gideon LEVY: "A Brief History of Killing Children " Haaretz, Nov 20, 2021). Allison WEIR: "Israeli forces have killed 39 Palestinian men, women, & children since May" (Israel-Palestine News, Oct 19, 2021). "Israel settlers open fire on Palestine homes in West Bank" (Middle East Monitor, September 11, 2021). Gideon LEVY: "Yes, the Palestinian Prison Escapees Are Freedom Fighters” (Haaretz, Sept 9, 2021; archive.today). "Developing news: Six Palestinian political prisoners liberate themselves from colonial Israeli prison” (Samidoun, Sept 5, 2021). "Israeli troops kill Palestinian teen in West Bank clash” (Middle East Eye, July 24, 2021).Tamara NASSAR: "Israeli gunfire takes lives of two more Palestinian teens” (+972, July 15, 2021). Yuval ABRAHAM: "Joint militias: How settlers and soldiers teamed up to kill four Palestinians” (+972, July 15, 2021)."Palestinian boy loses eye after Israel soldiers shoot him” (Middle East Monitor, April 12, 2021).Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "Palestinians Protested the Theft of Their Land. An Israeli Army Officer Shot One of Them in the Head” (Haaretz, March 26, 2021). "Israel to displace 1,550 Palestinians to build park in Jerusalem” (MEMo, March 18, 2021)."Reconstitution de l’exécution d’un Palestinien qui ne constituait aucune menace” (EuroPalestine, 27 février, 2021).Mairav ZONSZEIN: "Vaccination Under Occupation” (Jewish Currents, 12 Jan, 2021).Orly NOY: "Why B’Tselem is calling Israel an apartheid regime, from the river to the sea” (Mondoweiss, 12 Jan, 2021).
Voor het archief klik hier!
- * "Teen among four Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in West Bank raids" (Middle East Eye, 9 March, 2023).
- "2023 Huwara rampage" (Wikipedia, 3 March, 2023).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israel kills 11 in daytime raid on Nablus" (The Electronic Intifada, 22 Feb 2023).
- Tamara NASSAR: "Israel kills another child in the West Bank" (The Electronic Intifada, 9 Feb 2023).
- "Un assassinat par jour : c’est ça le colonialisme israélien que nous devons combattre !" (CAPJPO-Europalestine, 17 janvier, 2023).
- Tamara NASSAR: "Israel kills three children as 2023 dawns" (The Electronic Intifada, 5 January, 2023).
- Mariam BARGHOUTI: "Invading Israeli forces assassinate 5 more Palestinians in two days, including 16-yr-old" (Israel-Palestine News, Dec 8, 2022).
- "Israel soldier executes Palestinian youth in cold blood " (MEMo, Dec 2, 2022).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "A Palestinian Boy Went Out With Friends. An Israeli Soldier Shot Him in the Head" (Haaretz, Oct 15, 2022).
- Yumna PATEL & Mariam BARGHOUTI: "Israeli forces kill four Palestinians in occupied West Bank, including two brothers" (Mondoweiss, Nov 29, 2022).
- Motasem A DALLOUL: "Who's going to stop the madness of extremist ministers of next Israeli government? " (Haaretz, Nov 11, 2022).
- Jack KHOURY & Hagar SHEZAF: "14-year-old Among Two Palestinian Teens Killed Within Hours of Each Other by IDF Fire in West Bank" (Haaretz, Nov 11, 2022).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "This Palestinian Teen Was Shot Twice, Cuffed and Detained by Israeli Troops – Then Released" (Haaretz, Sept 2, 2022).
- "Invading Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian photographing them, Injure 17 in Jenin" (Israel-Palestine News, Sept 6, 2022).
- Defense for Children International-Palestine: "Israeli settler, soldier shoot and kill Palestinian boy" (DCIP, August 1, 2022).