BACBI: Human Rights.
- Mark LEVINE: "What did the UN apartheid report expose in reality?" (Al-Jazeera, March 19 2017): click here!
...the authors have used the scalpel of international law and the seemingly moribund International Covenant on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid to create a new matrix of analysis of the occupation, its generative dynamics, and likely future path that will prove extremely hard for even Israel's most ardent defenders to refute in the coming years
- Anat MATAR: "The eternal jail: Palestinians bring trauma of Israeli prisons to the screen" (+972, March 17 2017): click here!
A new documentary shows how the degradation and physical abuse suffered by Palestinians in Israeli jails means that even after their release, they haven’t escaped prison.
- Amira HASS: "In Precedent-setting Ruling, Israel's Top Court Recognizes East Jerusalem Arabs as 'Native-born Residents'" (Haaretz, March 16 2017): click here!
Over 14,000 Arabs have had their residency rights revoked since 1967 because they were absent from Jerusalem for more than 7 years. Court ruling challenges practice that treated them like immigrants in their own city.
- "Six days of unjustified detention, with full backing by the military and the courts: As usual, no one will have to answer for it" (B'Tselem, March 14 2017): click here!
On Friday, 10 February 2017, at about 4:00 P.M., some twenty to thirty young people and families with children, all residents of the village of Madama, which is located south of Nablus, went on an outing to spot a few hundred meters south of the village. At around 4:15-4:30 P.M., five or six soldiers approached from the area of the settlement of Yitzhar.
- "Palestine and the Israeli Occupation: Israeli Practices towards the Palestinian People and the Question of Apartheid, Executive Summary" (Unescwa.org, 2017): click here!
This report concludes that Israel has established an apartheid regime that dominates the Palestinian people as a whole. Aware of the seriousness of this allegation, the authors of the report conclude that available evidence establishes beyond a reasonable doubt that Israel is guilty of policies and practices that constitute the crime of apartheid as legally defined in instruments of international law".
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Landmark UN report backs Israel boycott" (EI, March 15, 2017): click here!
The landmark report’s endorsement of boycotts, economic sanctions and other grassroots initiatives comes at a moment when Israel is desperately attempting to criminalize and suppress international support for Palestinian rights.
- Yael MAROM: "Number of Palestinian prisoners hits five-year high" (+972, March 12, 2017): click here!
Over 6,000 Palestinian “security prisoners” were being held in Israeli prisons as of the beginning of February, according to statistics published by the Israel Prison Services (IPS). This is the highest number of Palestinian prisoners since July 2010.
- Amira HASS: "A Worthy Sacrifice for a Judeo-Samarian" (Haaretz, March 9, 2017): click here!
The demolitions of Palestinian structures are easy prey. The horns of the altar shout: More. Harder. Bigger. It is not enough to destroy, people must be evicted, driven out, uprooted.
- Charlotte SILVER: "Dozens of Palestinian women and girls remain in Israel’s prisons" (The Electronic Intifada, March 8, 2017): click here!
There are currently 55 Palestinian females held in Israeli prisons and detention facilities, including 12 girls and 16 mothers, according to a statement from prisoners’ rights group Addameer and antiwar group CodePink. Testimonies by Palestinian women and girls highlight the brutality of the arrest process as well as conditions inside Israeli interrogation, detention and prison centers and even hospitals while in custody...
- "Report: Israel kills 26 Palestinian students, arrests 198 in 2016" (MEMo, Feb 28, 2017): click here!
Official Palestinian statistics indicated that Israeli occupation forces committed violations and attacks on 89,799 students and 5,528 teachers and employees during 2016.
- Nir HASSON: "15 ans après l’adoption d’une “loi temporaire”, plus de 12.000 Palestiniens vivent dans les limbes" (Haaretz, Pour la Palestine, 3 mars, 2017): click here!
Un “ordre d’urgence” vieux de 15 ans interdit à des Palestiniens mariés à des citoyen.ne.s israélien.ne.s ou à des résident.e.s permanent.e.s d’obtenir un permis pour entrer en Israël, alors même que le Shin Bet estime que la levée de ces restrictions ne représenterait qu’un risque minimal.
- Amira HASS: "In First, Israeli Military Court Throws Out Palestinian Boy’s Interrogation" (Haaretz, Feb 28, 2017): click here!
An Israeli military court has made a precedent-setting ruling by refusing to admit a Palestinian minor’s statements to police because the police investigator denied him access to an attorney.
- "Palestinian teens detail their torture at the hands of Israeli authorities" (Ma'an, Feb 14, 2017): click here!
Two Palestinian teenagers held in Israel’s Ofer detention center have been shot, abused, and tortured during their detention and interrogation by Israeli authorities, according to a statement released Tuesday by the Palestinian Committee for Prisoners’ Affairs.
- Ben WHITE: "Israeli torture of Palestinian children 'institutional'" (Al-Jazeera, 7 Feb, 2017): click here!
Confessions by Palestinians who have been tortured are regularly accepted by Israeli judges, rights groups say.
- "Israel clears Palestinians and homes so its military can practice" (Defense for Children International - Palestine, Feb 6, 2017): click here!
Evictions, demolitions, and UXO (unexploded ordnance) are constant risks for Palestinian children living in areas of the Jordan Valley that Israel has declared as “firing zones,” where Israeli battalions regularly assemble to hone their combat skills. Before tanks can shoot off missile rounds and soldiers can carry out practice missions, goats are removed, animal pens and tents dismantled.
- Sheren KHALEL: "‘We have nowhere else to go’: Bedouins say they will continue to rebuild as Israel carries out home demolitions at a record pace” (Mondoweiss, Jan 31, 2017): click here!
A white tent is the only structure left standing among the scattered piles of twisted metal and tarp that was a Jahalin Tribe Bedouin encampment West of Jericho city in the Wadi Qilt valley. On the morning of Wednesday, January 25th, Israeli forces escorted two bulldozers down from the main road up to the small Bedouin community.
- "Israeli court approves demolition of Palestinian villages in occupied West Bank” (MEMo, Jan 26, 2017): click here!
Israel’s High Court of Justice has decided to allow the Civil Administration in the occupied West Bank to demolish eight Palestinian villages in the South Hebron Hills because the land is “needed” for military training purposes, Haaretz reported on Thursday. Around 1,500 Palestinians will be affected by the destruction of their homes.
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "These are the Palestinian children killed by Israel in 2016” (The Internet Intifada, Jan 25, 2017): click here!
For Palestinian children in the occupied West Bank, 2016 was the deadliest year in the past decade. Thirty-five Palestinian children were killed by Israeli soldiers, police and armed civilians during the year, all but four of the deadly incidents taking place in the West Bank. Children account for a third of the 105 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in the West Bank and Gaza Strip during 2016.
- Amira HASS: "Israel's Judges Paved the Way for What Happened in Bedouin Village” (Haaretz, Jan 25, 2017): click here!
The life of the Palestinian is cheap in our eyes, because our eyes are coveting his land. For his land’s real-estate value to rise in our hands, his life must be made miserable, and then his death too.
- Chaim LEVINSON: "Torture, Israeli-style - as Described by the Interrogators Themselves” (Haaretz, Jan 24, 2017): click here!
For years, the Israeli establishment has tried to conceal what happens in interrogation rooms. When interrogators use torture – or “special means,” to use the establishment’s term – the concealment efforts are redoubled.
- Robert FANTINA: "International law, the United Nations and Palestine” (Mondoweiss, Jan 19, 2017): click here!
The United Nations Security Council recently passed Resolution 2334, which condemns the construction of Israeli settlements on Palestinian land, declares them again to be illegal, and demands a stop to any future such construction. Israel, as expected, has denounced this resolution.
- Amira HASS: "First Week of 2017: Israel Demolishes Homes of 151 Palestinians, Almost Four Times Last Year's Average” (Haaretz, Jan 7, 2017): click here!
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s promise to settlers from the unauthorized outpost of Amona to enforce the law "equally" by demolishing the homes of Arabs is being strictly fulfilled.
- "Year-in-review: Worst abuses against Palestinian children in 2016” (DCI-P, Jan 1, 2017): click here!
West Bank children suffered the highest losses of the past decade with 32 child fatalities at the hands of Israeli forces and security guards in 2016. In Gaza, children slipped deeper into poverty, as the blockade began its ninth year, with some still living in protracted displacement.
- Adam HAMZE: "10 Things Palestinians Can’t Do Because Of The Israeli Occupation” (The Huffington Post, Dec 29, 2016): click here!
The Israeli government and some U.S. politicians are attacking the Obama administration for permitting a recent U.N. Security Council resolution that condemns Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories. Secretary of State John Kerry faced further ire on Wednesday after saying the settlements threaten prospects for peace in the region.
- Gideon LEVY: "Security Prisoners Are Human Beings” (Haaretz, Dec 29, 2016): click here!
Israel's inhumane treatment of security prisoners is often overlooked. Don't they deserve at least the same treatment as convicted murderers? | Opinion
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Teen slain during home demolition raid” (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2016): click here!
Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian teen during confrontations in a Jerusalem-area village before dawn on Thursday. Ahmad Nashat Uthman al-Kharroubi, 19, was hit in the neck with live ammunition and pronounced dead on arrival to a Ramallah hospital.
- "Palestinian prisoner ordered to administrative detention after end of 10-month sentence” (Samidoun, Dec 22, 2016): click here!
Palestinian prisoner Saddam al-Saadah was ordered to an additional four months in administrative detention – imprisonment without charge or trial – immediately following his scheduled release from Israeli prison on 17 December 2016.
- "600 Israeli press violations since the beginning of 2016” (The Palestinian Information Center, Dec 19, 2016): click here!
The reported 600 press violations include the killing of 53 Palestinian journalists and the arrest of 137 others, 24 of them are still held behind Israeli bars.
- "Palestiniens d’Israël, des détenus à part” (Plateforme Palestine, déc 14, 2016): click here!
Mahmoud al Weesi, palestinien d’Israël, journaliste et aujourd’hui coordinateur de la communication du comité des libertés « Lajnat al horiya » à Nazareth, a été arrêté à l’âge de 18 ans et a passé 7 années en prison. Il dénonce les conditions d’arrestation et de détention des Palestiniens incarcérés dans les prisons israéliennes.
- David LLOYD: "Strangled Education: Reporting on higher education in Palestine and Israel” (Mondoweiss, Dec 9, 2016): click here!
This January, after several years of often-heated discussion and review, the Modern Language Association’s representative body, the Delegate Assembly, will consider a resolution to endorse the Palestinian call for a boycott of Israeli academic institutions.
- "Adalah spotlights top five 2016 human rights concerns for Palestinian citizens of Israel" (Adalah, Dec 6, 2016): click here!
2016's top five human rights concerns: forced displacement, discriminatory laws, 'shoot to kill' policy, education and employment gaps, shrinking civil society space.
- "Palestinian student re-arrested one week after release; 50 Palestinians ordered to administrative detention in November" (Samidoun, Nov 11, 2016): click here!
Palestinian student and former prisoner, Bahaa al-Najjar, 21, was re-arrested by Israeli occupation forces on Wednesday, 9 November, only one week after his release from Israeli jails, where he had been held without charge or trial under administrative detention.
- "2017 – The Year of Prisoners’ Freedom: Challenges and Ideas for Action by Wael Jaghoub" (IMEMC, Nov 1, 2016): click here!
The Palestinian prisoners’ movement in 2012 conducted a battle through the open hunger strike, one of the most important moments of the struggle in recent years. This strike came in order to confront the mounting onslaught of the prison administration, the growing number of prisoners transferred to solitary confinement, the frequent and continuous transfer of the leaders of the prisoners’ movement, and the ongoing denial of family visits to the prisoners from the Gaza Strip over many years.
- "Israeli forces detain 20-year-old Palestinian woman after 12 hours of interrogation" (Ma'an, Oct 7, 2016): click here!
Israeli forces Friday detained a 20-year-old Palestinian woman from the village of Artas near Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank after the young woman underwent 12 hours of interrogation at the Etzion detention center in southern Bethlehem late Thursday.
- Haaretz Editorial: "Israel Must End Its Shameful Policy of Collective Punishment " (Haaretz, Sept 21, 2016): click here!
Every time a police officer closes a store with no legal justification, it just makes it all the more clear to the local residents and the rest of the world that East Jerusalem is occupied territory by any law.
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Video: Israeli sniper shoots youth during assault on refugee camp" (The Electronic Intifada, Sept 16, 2016): click here!
More than 220 Palestinians have been killed since a new phase of violence began last October, many shot dead in what Israel says were attacks or alleged attacks which have killed more than 30 soldiers and civilians.
Human rights groups have condemned Israel’s reflexive use of deadly force in such incidents, saying it amounts to an unofficial shoot-to-kill policy encouraged by Israel’s top leadership.
- C.J. POLYCHRONIOU & Lily SAGE: "'A Continuous War Mentality': Richard Falk on Israel's Human Rights Abuses" (truthout, Sept 10, 2016): click here!
Israel's treatment of Palestinians mirrors the abominable system of apartheid in South Africa, but many members of the "international community" who fueled the gradual delegitimization and eventual collapse of South Africa's apartheid regime are failing to apply similar pressure against Israel. In fact, many nations are even strengthening their ties with the Israeli government.
- Ben WHITE: "Are Israeli soldiers shooting to maim?" (The Arab Weekly, Sept 4, 2016): click here!
Large-scale assaults on Gaza Strip have played significant role in damaging Israel’s reputation in West and, for many, have made Israeli military synonymous with brutality.
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israeli soldiers routinely shoot heads of injured Palestinians, court told" (The Electronic Intifada, Aug 30, 2016): click here!
Shooting at the heads of incapacitated alleged Palestinian attackers is a common practice by Israeli occupation forces, a settler security chief told a military court hearing on Sunday.
- "School-children tear-gassed on 2nd day of school” (International Solidarity Movement, Aug 29, 2016): click here!
On 29th August 2016 Israeli forces at Salaymeh checkpoint in occupied al-Khalil (Hebron), fired rounds of tear gas as school-children attempted to make their way home through the highly militarised checkpoint.
- Eitan KALINSKI: "The stark difference between Israeli and Arab schools on the same side of the separation barrier" (+972, Aug 28, 2016): click here!
Just five minutes from Kfar Saba, under full Israeli control, children from the village Arab a-Ramadin will attend a school made of clay, without electricity, and most certainly without computers. All my years as a teacher and administrator couldn’t have prepared me for this place.
- "Addameer Condemns Beating to Death of Palestinian in PA Custody" (Addameer, Aug 23, 2016): click here!
Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association strongly condemns the beating to death of Palestinian Ahmad Izz Halaweh by Palestinian Security Forces early Tuesday morning, 23 August 2016. Mr. Halaweh was arrested by PA Security Forces and was taken to a Nablus’ Juneid Security Compound, where he was beaten to death inside custody.
- "Lawyer: Israeli authorities torture Palestinian minors during detention, interrogation" (Ma'an, Aug 21, 2016): click here!
Teenage Palestinians in Israeli prisons and detention centers say they have been tortured, verbally abused, kicked, and slapped by Israeli interrogators during detention and interrogation, according to a lawyer from the Palestinian Committee of Prisoners' Affairs, who recently conducted a series of visits with Palestinian teens in Israeli custody.
- "Palestinians in Jerusalem protest ICRC cuts to family visits" (Samidoun, Aug 20, 2016): click here!
Family visits for Palestinian prisoners continue to come under attack by the Israeli occupation as well as under cutbacks by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). On Wednesday, 17 August, the families of Palestinian prisoners from Jerusalem protested outside ICRC headquarters in Sheikh Jarrah to demand the restoration of family visits to twice monthly.
- "Israeli forces use electric shock on 16-year-old Palestinian prisoner, assault others" (Ma'an, Aug 19, 2016): click here!
Palestinians being held in Etzion prison were subjected to assaults, while Israeli soldiers reportedly used electric shock on a 16-year-old Palestinian prisoner, according to a statement released Thursday by the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS).
- "Palestinian school under threat of demolition" (MAP, Aug 19, 2016): click here!
A report this week said that the school in the Bedouin community of Khan al Ahmar is reportedly facing demolition by the Israeli Government. A petition by a settler group to the Israeli High Court of Justice seeking to compel the Israeli Government to execute the demolition order on the school is under review. The State has requested for and has been granted an extension until the 23 August 2016.
- Gergana MILEVA: "Rabbis For Human Rights Tell Israeli Government To Stop Demolitions Now" (+972, Aug 18, 2016): click here!
Over 500 rabbis call for the demolition of Palestinian homes to be stopped through an open letter addressed to the Israeli Prime Minister. Members of the Rabbis for Human Rights (RHR) say that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s actions blatantly go against both Jewish traditions and international law.
- Amjad IRAQI: "Who’s sending death threats to Palestinian advocates in The Hague?" (+972, Aug 17, 2016): click here!
In an interview with +972, the representative in The Hague of Al-Haq, a Palestinian human rights group, talks about the slew of threats she and her organization have received for months, and why she believes the Israeli government is behind them.
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Teenager killed during massive raid on refugee camp" (The Electronic Intifada, Aug 16, 2016): click here!
A 17-year-old Palestinian died on Tuesday after Israeli soldiers shot him in the chest with live ammunition during an ongoing raid on al-Fawwar refugee camp in the occupied West Bank city of Hebron. The slain youth, Muhammad Abu Hashhash, is the 27th Palestinian child to be killed in the West Bank and Gaza Strip so far this year, according to data from Defense for Children International-Palestine.
- "Dreaming of Freedom: Palestinian child prisoners speak" (MEMo, Aug 15, 2016): click here!
Ayman Abbasi was beaten so badly when he was arrested his parents could barely recognise their son at the court hearing. He was held at Almaskoubia interrogation centre, released under house arrest, and then imprisoned again. In his cell Abbasi enjoyed listening to the radio to “escape” what was happening to him, but Israeli guards confiscated his headphones. Abbasi was released but on 29 November 2015 Israeli soldiers shot and killed him...
- Talal JABARI: "Administrative detention: 'Because I said so' ruling" (+972, 14 August, 2016): click here!
Administrative detention does not allow the accused to learn the charges against him, and therefore cannot defend himself against it. It’s a sort of parallel universe where due process doesn’t exist, and you go to jail simply because someone said so.
- Charlotte SILVER: "Israeli “counterterrorism” means abuse and torture of children" (The Electronic Intifada, Aug 11, 2016): click here!
Israel joins Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Nigeria and Syria as governments Human Rights Watch describes as “trampling on children’s rights in a misguided and counterproductive response to conflict-related violence.”
- Leonie VAN NIEROP: "Ze dacht dat Nederland veilig was" (nrc.nl, Aug 10, 2016): click here!
Intimidatie. Deze juriste helpt het Strafhof bij een onderzoek naar vermeende Israëlische oorlogsmisdaden in Palestina. Nu wordt zij met de dood bedreigd.
- Daoud KUTTAB: "UN report: West Bank house demolitions up 25%" (Al Monitor, Aug 9, 2016): click here!
A recent report by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in the Occupied Palestinian Territories was jarring. In addition to the usual listing of casualties and injuries among Palestinians, it reported a huge spike this year in the demolitions of Palestinian-owned structures by Israel.
- "Israel Pushing Palestinian Workers Out of Court, No Labor Rights for Workers" (The Nakba Files, Aug 8, 2016): click here!
Last week, Israeli Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked promulgated a new regulation that could effectively close the country’s labor courts to Palestinian workers from the West Bank. Some 60,000 Palestinians with West Bank residency work for Israeli businesses on both sides of the Green Line, often in construction, agriculture, and service jobs.
- Ben WHITE: "Analysis: Israel's double standard on the use of human shields" (Ma'an, Aug 8, 2016): click here!
Despite the fact that Israeli officials repeatedly alleged that Palestinian factions used human shields as a matter of policy in summer 2014, there is little to no evidence that the crime of human shields, as defined under international law, was committed by Hamas or other groups. Even if human shields were used, this would not have absolved Israel from responsibility for obeying the law.
- "PLO slams Netanyahu video on Palestinian children as 'cheap and disingenuous' propaganda" (Ma'an, Aug 4, 2016): click here!
Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Secretary-General Saeb Erekat slammed on Thursday recent comments by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Palestinian children, calling it another example of Israel’s “propaganda machine” to justify its “racist narrative” against Palestinians.
- Jack KHOURY: "Israeli Arab Lawmakers Irate Over Limits on Prison Visits" (Haaretz, Aug 4, 2016): click here!
New Prison Service rules restricts the access of attorneys, parliamentarians and other visitors who represent or can help Palestinian security prisoners in any way.
- Ruti FEUCHWANGER: "Who notices when a Palestinian construction worker falls to his death?" (+972, Aug 4, 2016): click here!
Abed al-Harush is the 22nd construction worker killed in a work accident this year. That’s a number you won’t hear in the mainstream Israeli press.
- Sawsan KHALIFE: "Conditional rights, conditional citizenship" (+972, Aug 1, 2016): click here!
Palestinian citizens of Israel have never known what it means to be welcome citizens in the country of their birth.
- Eva ILLOUZ: "47 Years a Slave: A New Perspective on the Occupation" (Haaretz, Feb 7, 2014): click here!
Very few struggles in history have centered on how a nation should treat a third group of people, but there are strong parallels between black slavery and Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians.
- Amira HASS: "Number of Palestinians Detained by Israel Without Trial Triples Since 2013" (Haaretz, July 26, 2016): click here!
Today 651 Palestinians who have not been given due process are in Israeli jails. One of them, Bilal Kayed, received a detention order last month just moments after finishing a long prison term.
- John BROWN & Noam ROTEM: "License to Kill: Forgery, evidence tampering and two dead teens" (+972, July 22, 2016): click here!
Usaid and Muhammed Qadus are shot to death in their own village by a major in the Israeli army who claims he only fired rubber bullets. But the bullets were real, and he admitted to lying and committing forgery to cover up his crime. Instead of being charged with a crime, he is promoted.
- "PCHR Report on Israeli Human Rights Violations in the oPt (30 June – 13 July 2016)" (IMEMC, July 14, 2016): click here!
Israeli forces have continued to commit crimes, inflicting civilian casualties. They have also continued to use excessive force against Palestinian civilians participating in peaceful protests in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the majority of whom were youngsters. During the reporting period, Israeli forces killed 4 Palestinian civilians, including a woman and child, in the West Bank while another one succumbed to his wounds.
- "Israeli forces stole 21 boats and sank two more just in the last 3 months" (International Solidarity Movement, July 5, 2016): click here!
Each small boat sustains at least 20 people on average and each one of the big ones at least 100 people. That means that just in the last 3 months around 550 people lost their source of income and were left in a situation of severe food insecurity.
- "Palestinian Bedouins" (Journal of Palestine Studies, Special Focus, July, 2016): click here!
On June 9th, 2016, Israeli bulldozers accompanied by a squad of police officers stormed the Palestinian Bedouin village of al-Araqeeb in the Negev desert in southern Israel. For the residents, it was a familiar sight.
- Jack KHOURY: "New Regulations Allow Israel Police to Respond to Stone-throwing, Firecrackers With Live Fire " (Haaretz, July 5, 2016): click here!
Israel Police are now permitted to fire live bullets as a first resort against people throwing stones or incendiary devices, including fire crackers, according to open-fire regulations that were loosened last December in light of an upsurge of violence in East Jerusalem.
- "June 2016 report on Palestinian prisoners: 3412 arrested in the first half of 2016" (Samidoun, July 4, 2016): click here!
The following is a report issued by several Palestinian prisoner organizations (Prisoners Affairs Commission; Palestinian Prisoners’ Society; Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association; Al-Mezan Center for Human Rights.)
- Lisa GOLDMAN: "[VIDEO] Not an occupation? Whatever it is, it's disgusting" (+972, July 1, 2016): click here!
Black-clad mounted Border Police galloping into and nearly trampling a crowd of unarmed civilians, old men and women lucky enough to meet the army’s criteria to pray in Jerusalem mutely line up to pass through what look like cattle lanes. Notes on one scene of ugliness and occupation.
- David SHULMAN: "Al-Hadidiya, Jordan Valley" (Touching Photographs, June 30, 2016): click here!
Four months away provide just enough distance to see the madness and the cruelty for what they are. Who has set up this crazy system and kept it running for half a century? Is it not mad to deliberately deprive human beings—families, children, the elderly– of water at the height of summer in a scorching desert? It was at least 37 or 38 degrees Centigrade, almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit, today in Al-Hadidiya. No running water, of course, and almost no water at all. You can’t survive there without water.
- "Les statistiques officielles le disent : « Tous les prisonniers détenus par Israël ont été torturés. » " (Pour la Palestine, June 29, 2016): click here!
La Commission de l’OLP sur les prisonniers et les prisonniers libérés a déclaré hier que « tous les prisonniers détenus par Israël ont été torturés », y compris les femmes, les personnes âgées et les enfants, rapporte Quds Press.
- "Displaced, occupied, and displaced again: Bedouin refugees in the West Bank" (MAP, June 23, 2016): click here!
For the Bedouin communities in the Jordan Valley that are regularly visited by MAP’s mobile clinic, displacement and dispossession have been part of life for more than sixty years. Nearly all of these communities are refugees originating from the Jahalin tribe in the Negev desert, who were expelled from their lands following the creation of the state of Israel in 1948.
- Gideon LEVY: "Sorry, Mahmoud Rafat Badran, 15, Was Killed by 'Mistake'" (Haaretz, June 23, 2016): click here!
The Israeli soldiers fired fiercely, with full intent, at the moving car, and they had no idea who was inside except for the fateful fact that they were Palestinians.
- Allison DEGER: "Number of Palestinian refugees in occupied territories has increased by 1 million in the past decade" (Mondoweiss, June 22, 2016): click here!
In the last decade the number of Palestinian refugees in the West Bank and Gaza has increased by one million, according to a survey conducted by the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) in advance of World Refugee Day.
- "If they had any human decency, they’d let us hook up to the water pipes that run a meter from our tents" (B'Tselem, June 22, 2016): click here!
Palestinians living in the West Bank suffer from a water shortage due to Israeli policy that limits water supply throughout the year, and more so during the summer months. The shortage is particularly acute in communities that live in Area C and are unrecognized by Israel, and therefore, are not able to connect to the water supply system.
- Amira HASS: "Israel Incapable of Telling Truth About Water It Steals From Palestinians" (Haaretz, June 22, 2016): click here!
Water is the only issue in which Israel (still) finds it difficult to defend its discriminatory, oppressive and destructive policy with pretexts of security and God.
- "Les soldats israéliens torturent des enfants palestiniens, dit l'ONU" (RTBF.be, 20 juin, 2016): click here!
Les enfants palestiniens de la Bande de Gaza et de Cisjordanie sont capturés par les soldats israéliens pour ensuite être torturés, humiliés, utilisés pour passer au peigne fin des bâtiments potentiellement dangereux ou comme boucliers. C'est ce qu'indique un rapport du comité des Nations Unies pour les Droits de l'enfant, rapporte jeudi le quotidien israélien Ha'aretz.
- "Israel's cabinet paves way for widespread demolition of Palestinian homes in Israel" (Ma'an, June 20, 2016): click here!
As a result, the proposed legislation puts more than 10,000 Palestinian residents in a number of communities in Israel at risk of having their homes demolished.
- Uri SAVIR: "Can Palestinian right of return issue be solved?" (Al Monitor, June 20, 2016): click here!
Palestinians are elaborating creative ideas to solve the complex issue of the right of return so that a two-state solution can be reached.
- Amira HASS: "What a Palestinian Parliament Member Learned in an Israeli Prison" (Haaretz, June 19, 2016): click here!
Khalida Jarrar knew a lot about prisoner issues, but her 14 months behind bars offered plenty of surprises.
- "Israel's new Anti-Terror Law violates Arab citizens' human rights" (Adalah, June 19, 2016): click here!
Reclassifies political activities of Palestinian Arab citizens of Israel as acts of terror. Adalah: "New law marks Arab citizens as suspects simply because they are Arab."
- David PALUMBO-LIU: "The UN’s damning report on Israel and torture : The desperate case of Palestinian youth in the occupied territory" (AURDIP, June 17, 2016): click here!
The report alleges torture, excessive use of force, coerced evidence, settler violence, house demolition and more.
- "Fragmented Lives: Humanitarian Overview 2015" (OCHA, June 13, 2016): click here!
The purpose of the report is to provide a comprehensive overview of the underlying causes or drivers of the humanitarian vulnerabilities in the occupied Palestinian territory. In 2015, the situation continued to be characterized by violations of international humanitarian law by all parties, the systematic denial of Palestinian rights and continuing conflict, punctuated by frequent outbreaks of violence...
- Megan 0'TOOL: "How many Palestinians are imprisoned by Israel?" (Al Jazeera, June 11, 2016): click here!
Each year, on April 17, Palestinians mark "Prisoners' Day', highlighting de plight of thousands of Palestinians being held in Israeli jails.
- Karama FADEL: "No Time To Be Children" (We Are Not Numbers, June 11, 2016): click here!
It’s the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from sun-up to sun-down, and in the sultry 80s heat, many Palestinians in Gaza sleep off the hunger until they can eat again, with the late-evening iftar meal. But 15-year-old Raouf Abdel Hameed is still toiling, selling hair ties and small toys for children on the streets of Gaza City. He’s been doing that since he was 5 years old, earning just 10 shekels (US$2.60) a day. Raouf’s parents are divorced, and without his father, they have no other source of income.
- "Weekly Report On Israeli Human Rights Violations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (02 – 08 June 2016)" (Palestinian Center for Human Rights, June 9, 2016): click here!
2 Palestinian civilians, including a woman, were killed, north of the West Bank. 5 civilians, including a child, were wounded in the West Bank and a 6th was wounded in the Gaza Strip.
- "The Occupation's Fig Leaf: Israel's Military Law Enforcement System as a Whitewash Mechanism" (B'Tselem, Report summary, May 2016): click here!
The military law enforcement system is supposed to handle complaints filed against soldiers for harm caused to Palestinians in the West Bank, including cases of violence and gunfire that resulted in injury or death. Such harm is endemic to the occupation, which has been in place for nearly fifty years.
- "Israel's Military Justice System Seems to Have Gone Too Far" (Haaretz Editorial, June 6, 2016): click here!
The increasingly violent resistance to the occupation does not give Israel and its security apparatuses a license to deny liberty to innocent people. Palestinian parliament member Khalida Jarrar was released on Friday after 14 months in an Israeli prison. Jarrar was a political detainee, and her detention was a political detention.
- "Committee against Torture: Concluding observations on the fifth periodic report of Israel". The Committee against Torture considered the fifth periodic report of Israel (CAT/C/ISR/5) at its 1416th and 1419th meetings (CAT/C/SR.1416 and 1419), held on 3 and 4 May 2016, and adopted the present concluding observations at its 1428th and 1429th meetings, held on 12 May 2016" (UN, June 3, 2016): click here!
- "UN adopts resolution to support Palestinian women" (Ma'an, June 3, 2016): click here!
In a massive effort to tackle issues surrounding the advancement of women, social development, and non-communicable diseases, the UN Economic and Social Council adopted seven resolutions on Friday, one of which entitled “Situation of and assistance to Palestinian women.”
- "Report: IOF arrested 471 Palestinians last month" (The Palestinian Information Center, June 3, 2016): click here!
A group of local foundations catering for prisoners released on Thursday their monthly report on the continuous arbitrary detention of Palestinians by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) and the continuous violations committed against the Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.
- "Trauma and anxiety reign over Palestinian children" (MAP - Medical Aid for Palestine, June 3, 2016): click here!
2015 was the deadliest year for Palestinians in the West Bank since 2006. Between October 2015 and March 2016, more than 200 Palestinians were killed by the Israeli military and Israeli settler violence, 44 of them children. UNRWA released a report this week highlighting the impact of this violent context on the mental health of Palestinian children living in refugee camps often on the frontlines.
- Nafeez AHMED: "UN ‘buries’ resolution on Gaza’s environmental health crisis under US, Israeli pressure" Middle East Eye, June 1, 2016): click here!
The UNRWA blames the “blockade on Gaza and repeated cycles of armed conflict, including the unparalleled devastation caused by the last conflict in 2014”, for the destruction of “a large part of the enclave’s infrastructure, including water and sewage networks”.
- "UN: High time world spoke up for rights of Palestinian refugees" (The Palestinian Information Center, May 27, 2016): click here!
The rights and dignity of Palestinians will only be realized when the world wakes up to the need for a lasting political solution for the problem of the Palestinian refugees, Commissioner General of the UN Relief Agency for Palestinian Refugees, UNRWA, Pierre Krähenbühl said.
- Lies CORNEILLIE: "Palestijnse kinderen voor militaire rechtbank: 'Hoe Israël aan georganiseerde kindermishandeling doet'" (Knack.be, 25 mei 2016): click here!
'Elke gezonde mens weet dat opsluiting niet kan voor een kind', schrijft Lies Corneillie (Groen) na het bijwonen van een lezing van psychiater Peter Adriaenssens. Ze vraagt aandacht voor de situatie van de honderden Palestijnse kinderen die uit hun bed gelicht worden omdat ze voor een Israëlische militaire rechtbank moeten verschijnen.
- Daoud KUTTAB: "Magnetic card system restricts Palestinian visits to Jerusalem" (Al-Monitor, May 17, 2016): click here!
One of the leading sources of anger among Palestinians under occupation is restriction on their movement. Palestinians living in the West Bank cannot travel to the Gaza Strip, and Palestinians in Gaza are normally not allowed to leave Gaza. Travel from the occupied territories to neighboring Jordan and Egypt also involves various kinds of restrictions.
- "UN Committee Against Torture recommends 50+ measures to Israel to end its use of torture" (Adalah, May 17, 2016): click here!
The Committee calls on Israel to end administrative detention, repeal the Unlawful Combatants Law, and prohibit the solitary confinement of children; emphasizes that forced feeding of hunger strikers may be torture or ill-treatment.
- "Israeli water company cuts supply to Salfit" (The Palestinian Information Center, May 17, 2016): click here!
Israeli water company Mekorot on Tuesday cut off supplies to the central West Bank city of Salfit for unknown reasons, the city municipality said Monday morning.
- "UNICEF says 25 Palestinian children killed in three months" (Middle East Eye, May 14, 2016): click here!
Twenty-five Palestinian children were killed in the last three months of 2015 during a wave of anti-Israeli attacks and the number detained was the highest in seven years, the UN children's agency said on Saturday.
- Almog BEN ZIKRI: "Over 5,000 Israeli Bedouin Children Lack Access to Compulsory Preschool" (Haaretz, May 8, 2016): click here!
Lack of transportation funding and state's refusal to grant building permits to unrecognized Bedouin communities bar kids' access to preschool.
- "April 2016 Report: 567 Palestinians arrested by Israeli occupation, including 123 children" (Samidoun, May 3, 2016): click here!
567 Palestinians were arrested by Israeli occupation forces during April 2016, bringing the number of those arrested since the beginning of the popular uprising in October 2015 to 5334 Palestinians.
- Mairav ZONSZEIN: "For most Israelis, Palestinian lives don't matter" (+972, April 30, 2016): click here!
A 24-year-old Palestinian and her teenage brother were shot and killed by Israeli troops after allegedly trying to stab Border Police officers. The police’s version of the events doesn’t add up, but nobody in Israel, including the media, feels the need to ask questions.
- "US accuses Israel of 'excessive use of force' in human rights report" (Ma'an, 15 April 2016): click here!
The US has accused Israel of an "excessive use of force" against Palestinians, amounting to a violation of human rights, in its annual report of global human rights abuses.
- Danièle KRIEGEL: "Cisjordanie : les bulldozers israéliens ne chôment pas" (Le Point, 15 avril 2016): click here!
Les autorités israéliennes ont entrepris de démolir toutes les constructions palestiniennes en zone C de Cisjordanie, pourtant financées par les Européens. ...Depuis le début de l'année, les enfants de Za'atar, au sud de Naplouse, étaient heureux. Au centre du village, ils avaient enfin une aire de jeux rien qu'à eux : balançoires, tourniquet, jeu à bascule, bac à sable, et pour les mamans, des bancs, une table ronde avec des chaises et une belle pelouse...
- Report: "No Way to Treat a Child, Palestinian children in the Israeli military detention system" (Defense for Children International Palestine, April 14, 2016): click here!
No Way to Treat a Child, detailing the widespread and systematic ill-treatment of Palestinian children in the Israeli military detention system. From meals prepared in a makeshift kitchen to adult prisoner "caregivers," the report also gives a rare glimpse into Palestinian children's daily living conditions in Israeli prisons.
- "Palestine: Israeli Police Abusing Detained Children. With Arrests Spiking, Growing Concern" (Human Rights Watch, 11 April 2016): click here!
(Jerusalem) – Israeli security forces are abusing Palestinian children detained in the West Bank. The number of Palestinian children arrested by Israeli forces has more than doubled since October 2015.
- "UN: 75,000 Palestinians remain homeless in Gaza" (Ma'an, 12 April 2016): click here!
The Gaza Strip has seen three wars with Israel since 2008, with Israel's 2014 offensive destroying 12,600 homes, and leaving another 6,500 severely damaged and 150,000 housing units uninhabitable.
- Dror ETKES: "What's so threatening about human rights?" (+972, 10 April 2016): click here!
The Right doesn’t reject the concept of universal human rights because it threatens the Zionist project, they do so because it would mean seeing Palestinians as equals.
- "Overview March 2016 [violation of the human right to water]" (Staat van Beleg, 6 april 2016): click here!
Spring has just begun and temperatures are already rising in Palestine. A long warm summer lays ahead for the Palestinian people. If we think about dealing with long and hot summers the first thing comes to mind is water which is a very important basic human right.
- "241 Palestinian children held in Israel’s Ofer Prison" (MEMo, April 4, 2016): click here!
In its report, the committee reiterated that all 400 child prisoners held in different Israeli prisons had been subjected to more than one form of harassment and torture when they were arrested, during investigations or while they were in prison.
- Michael Schaeffer OMER-MAN: "The only way to ensure Palestinian lives matter" (+972, March 31, 2016: click here!
The IDF’s decision not to charge Abed Fatah al-Sharif’s killer with murder should not surprise anybody — it is entirely consistent with the impunity Israeli security personnel have enjoyed for decades when it comes to killing Palestinians.
- Gideon LEVY: "Hebron Murder Was No Exception, but the Inevitable Result" (Haaretz, March 27, 2016: click here!
It’s the present and the future. It’s impossible to maintain the occupation without such murders, their number will only mount.
- "UN passes 4 Palestinian-backed resolutions in landmark victory" (Ma'an, March 24, 2016): click here!
"As the belligerent occupying power, Israel continues to systematically violate the inalienable rights of the Palestinians while enjoying impunity from the international community, despite numerous UN resolutions demanding an equitable and just end to the occupation," Khreisheh said.
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Israel’s well-documented crimes met with silence" (The Electronic Intifada, March 23, 2016): click here!
"Six months of violence that have claimed approximately 200 Palestinian and 30 Israeli lives have arisen in a “pre-existing context” of a “decades-long occupation.” So stated Makarim Wibisono, the United Nation’s special rapporteur on human rights in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, at the Human Rights Council in Geneva on Monday."
- "Israel demolishes structures across West Bank, East Jerusalem" (Ma'an, March 16, 2016): click here!
"These demolition operations impose an intolerable reality on the residents of the communities," B'Tselem said. "This governmental policy, implemented systematically for years, constitutes the forced transfer of protected Palestinian residents within the occupied area."
- "Israël veut "museler la presse palestinienne", dénonce la FIJ (Fédération internationale des journalistes)" (tv5monde, 12 mars 2016): click here!
La Fédération internationale des journalistes (FIJ) a dénoncé samedi les "attaques continues" d'Israël contre les médias palestiniens, appelant à une enquête de l'ONU, après la descente de l'armée israélienne dans les locaux d'une télévision palestinienne à Ramallah.
- "Palestinian television channel raided and closed by Israeli occupation, three journalists arrested" (Samidoun, March 11, 2016): click here!
In an indication of an escalating attack on Palestinian journalists and media outlets, Israeli occupation forces invaded, attacked and shut down the Palestinian satellite channel Palestine Today (Filasteen al-Yom) as well as its broadcasting company, Trans Media, and arrested three Palestinian journalists.
- "February 2015 report: 616 Palestinians arrested by occupation forces" (Samidoun, March 5, 2016): click here!
"In a joint report, three Palestinian institutions: the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society, Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, and the Prisoners’ Affairs Committee – said that the Israeli occupation authorities arrested 616 Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza in February 2016. This number includes 140 children and 18 women and girls. The number of arrests since the beginning of the popular uprising in October 2015 has exceeded 4,120.
- "Israeli authorities demolished 183 Palestinian buildings in February" (MEMo, March 4, 2016): click here!
"The occupation has used the demolition policy as a way to put pressure on the Palestinians so to empty the region classified as Area C in the West Bank," adding that the demolitions are part of a policy of “collective punishment”. [File photo]
- "PLO seeks international pressure over Israel's withholding of bodies" (Ma'an, March 4, 2016): click here!
They said: "The withholding of the bodies also greatly adds to the grief, anxiety and trauma of the families who are dealing with the loss of a loved one, and who are also being denied their cultural and religious rights to mourn and to bury them in accordance with their faith."
- Yesh Din, written by Yossi GURVITZ: "The right to own property — for Jews alone" (+972, March 4, 2016): click here!
The government never authorized the wholesale annexation of the West Bank. That’s why it’s doing it behind everyone’s backs.
- "Israeli Occupation forces continue to withhold the bodies of deceased Palestinians, and renege on conditions of release" (Addameer, March 1, 2016): click here!
Addameer and Adalah view the continued withholding of the bodies of nine deceased Palestinians, the longest of which has been held by Israel for over four months, as a severe violation of international humanitarian law as well as international human rights law including violations of the right to dignity, freedom of religion, and the right to practice culture.
- *Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017).
- "Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).
- Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).
- Emily MULDER: "Report reveals ‘systematic’ torture in Israeli prison" (Ma'an, Feb 24, 2016): click here!
A joint investigation launched by Israeli rights groups into practices in Israel’s Shikma prison has revealed - once again - that "systemic" violations are taking place against Palestinian detainees.
- "VIDEO: Israeli Military Uses Stun Grenades on Young Palestinian School Kids" (IMEMC, Feb 24, 2016): click here!
It has become a regular occurrence for Palestinian school children to endure physical violence, harassment, body searches and other demoralizing acts at the hands of the Israeli military.
- Engelbert LUITSZ: "Hoe sloop je een volk?" (Alexandrina, 23 feb, 2016): click here!
Afgelopen zondag vernietigde het Israëlische leger het enige schooltje van een bedoeïenengemeenschap die ten oosten van bezet Jeruzalem woont. De zes klaslokalen werden met de grond gelijk gemaakt en alle bezittingen werden in beslag genomen. Zeker dertig legervoertuigen met tientallen soldaten werden ingezet om deze weerloze mensen te beroven van het beetje dat ze nog hadden.
- "Over 40 Palestinian homes, structures demolished in Jordan Valley" (Ma'an News Agency, Feb 11, 2016): click here!
Israeli forces on Thursday destroyed over 40 Palestinian homes and structures in the Tubas district of the occupied West Bank as ongoing Israeli policies in the Jordan Valley continue to drive Palestinians out of their homes.
- "Imprisonment of children" (Addameer, February 2016) : click here!
Approximately 700 Palestinian children under the age of 18 from the occupied West Bank are prosecuted every year through Israeli military courts after being arrested, interrogated and detained by the Israeli army. The most common charge levied against children is throwing stones, a crime that is punishable under military law by up to 20 years in prison. Since 2000, more than 12,000 Palestinian children have been detained.
- "Zorgen van de Nederlandse Coalitie voor Palestijnse Kinderen in Israëlische Gevangenschap over de Recente Kinderrechtenschendingen" (Een Ander Joods Geluid, 16 februari 2016): click here!
Het Israëlische parlement kent een commissie voor de Rechten van het Kind. Aangezien de Palestijnse kinderen onder Israëlische bezetting leven, is de commissie Buitenlandse Zaken en Veiligheid van het Israëlische parlement verantwoordelijk voor de bescherming van hun rechten.
- Ariyana LOVE: "85 Percent of Palestinians Killed by Israel were Extrajudicially Executed" (Middle East Rising, Jan 24, 2016) : click here!
The Detainees and Ex-Detainees Committee, said in a report published on Sunday, that 85 percent of Palestinians who were killed by Israel since the beginning of 2015 (179 Palestinians), were killed in extrajudicial field executions.
- Human Rights Watch: "Occupation, Inc.: How Settlement Businesses Contribute to Israel’s Violations of Palestinian Rights" (Jan 19, 2016): click here!
More than half a million Israeli settlers live in 237 settlements in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem. Successive Israeli governments have facilitated this process, even though settlements are unlawful under international humanitarian law and are part and parcel of Israeli policies that dispossess, discriminate against, and abuse the human rights of Palestinians.
- Lien SANTERMANS: "Palestijnse clown achter de tralies" (MO*, jan 18, 2016): click here!
Zes maanden in de cel zonder aanklacht of proces. Dat is de uitspraak die Mohammed Abu Sakha, circustrainer en artiest bij de Palestijnse Circusschool, op 22 december te horen kreeg van de Israëlische militaire rechtbank. Mohammed is geen uitzondering. Momenteel worden honderden Palestijnen vastgehouden in administratieve detentiecentra zonder op de hoogte te zijn van de reden voor hun aanhouding.
- "Israel Arresting Palestinian Children and Keeping Them In Outdoor Cages During The Winter" (CounterCurrent News, Jan 16, 2016): click here!
Following a November 2015 report by the Independent, in which it quoted NGO rights organization the Palestinian Prisoners Club (PPC) that at least 600 Palestinian children have been arrested in Jerusalem alone in the first half of 2015 and that roughly 40% were sexually abused, a new January 2016 report was also issued by the Independent, this time saying that the Israeli government is torturing and keeping them in outdoor cages during winter time.
- Jonathan COOK: "Welcome to Israel's Version of Apartheid" (CounterPunch, Jan 12, 2016): click here!
- Jonathan COOK: "Behind the Ban on the Islamic Movement in Israel" (MERIP, Jan 11, 2016): click here!
The decision to outlaw the northern wing of the Islamic Movement in Israel was announced by Benjamin Netanyahu’s government on Nov 17, 2015, days after attacks claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (or ISIS) left 130 dead in Paris. Although the ban had been long in the making, the timing was patently opportunistic, with Netanyahu even comparing Israel’s Islamic Movement to ISIS."
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Killings of Palestinians in West Bank hit 10-year high" (The Electronic Intifada, Jan 8, 2016): click here!
The first days of 2016 offered no let up in the surge of violence that began in early October, provoked by Israel’s assaults and incursions in occupied East Jerusalem’s al-Aqsa mosque compound.
- Human Rights group: "Erez crossing a trap for Palestinians" (MEMo, Jan 7, 2016): click here!
Israel uses the Erez crossing as a trap for Palestinian passengers, the Human Rights and Democracy Media Centre (SHAMS) reported yesterday. SHAMS noted that this undermines the rights of movement and travel for Palestinians who have been under a strict siege for a decade.
- "UK MPs speak out about Israeli detention of Palestinian children" (MEMo, Jan 7, 2016): click here!
British parliament held a debate on the issue of child prisoners and detainees in the Occupied Palestinian Territories for the second time yesterday, following a debate on the issue in 2010. The debate was procured by Sarah Champion MP, who began by addressing the ill-treatment meted out to Palestinian children detained by the Israeli military as documented by two damning reports showing that Israel was in breach of its legal obligations under the UN convention on the rights of the child and the Fourth Geneva Convention.
- Vijay PRASHAD: "The endless occupation. For Palestinian children, a world of fear, humiliation, frustration and mistrust" (gazettenet.com, Jan 6, 2016): click here!
- "Bande de Gaza : L’impact à long terme des hostilités de 2014 sur les femmes et les filles" (OCHA - Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, transl. AURDIP, 5 janvier 2016): click here!
299 femmes, dont au moins 26 étaient enceintes, et 197 filles ont été tuées lors des hostilités de l’été 2014 dans la bande de Gaza, et plus de 2.000 femmes et des centaines de filles ont été blessées (Global Protection Cluster – Ministère de la Santé).
- Sherna BERGER GLUCK (ed.): "Impediments to Education in the Occupied Palestinian Territories". Introduction by
Sa'ed Atshan. A publication of the Palestine-Israel Working Group of Historians Against the War (HAW), September 2016 (pdf, 34 p.): click here!
- Dr. Samah JABR: "Arrested Adolescence: On the Interrupted Development of Palestinian Minors in Prison " (The Palestine Chronicle, Dec 30, 2015): click here!
The Israeli parliament has recently approved a law that allows the sentencing of up to 20 years in prison for Palestinians who throw stones, individuals who are usually minors. This development was followed by a law that would allow for the imprisonment of Palestinian children as young as 12, if they are found guilty of “nationalistically-motivated” violent offences.
- Alex SHAMS: "Killing of Mentally Ill Palestinian Swimming Off Gaza Coast Highlights Maddening Effects of Israel's Siege" (Huffington Post, Dec 28, 2015): click here!
The swimmer's name was Ishaq Khalil Hassan, and he is a 28-year-old from Gaza who had reportedly spent the last few months trying to get permission to leave the tiny Palestinian coastal enclave in order to seek medical treatment abroad.
- Ghassan & Oday ABU JAMAL: "Palestinian Female Political Prisoners and Detainees: Ongoing Resistance Behind Zionist Bars" (My Palestine, Dec 28, 2015): click here!
Since 1967, more than 800,000 Palestinians were detained by Israeli occupation forces, including over 15,000 women.
- David PALUMBO-LIU: "Justice denied: Rachel Corrie died protesting the demolition of Palestinian homes by Israeli forces. Her parents carry on the fight" (Salon, Dec 20, 2015): click here!
The Corries won't give up, continuing to draw attention to the occupation, and the barbaric practice of demolition. - In 2003, a 23-year-old American from Olympia, Washington, was crushed to death by a bulldozer operated by two members of the Israeli Defense Forces.
- Gerard HORTON: "The forced transfer of Palestinian detainees — why it matters" (+972, Dec 19, 2015): click here!
International law is clear that prisoners should not be transferred outside of an occupied territory — both to allow their families access to them and to prevent forced population transfer. But that’s not all that’s at stake.
- "UN: 177 countries vote in support of the right of Palestinians to self-determination" (Palestine News Network, Dec 18, 2015): click here!
Seven countries had opposed the decision: Israel, United States, Canada, Palau, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Nauru. And four countries abstained the voting: Cameroon, Tonga, South Sudan, Honduras.
- "UN experts urge end to harassment of human rights defenders in Occupied Palestinian Territory" (UN News Centre, Dec 18, 2015): click here!
Gravely concerning at continued reports that human rights defenders in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, particularly in Hebron, are being subjected to physical attacks and death threats, United Nations independent experts today denounced such harassment as “unacceptable” and called for it to end immediately.
- Gideon LEVY: "Demolished, Rebuilt and Razed Again: A Bedouin Community Left Without Shelter". Israeli officials visit the tiny Jordan Valley village of Al Hadidya almost daily to destroy anything that can be used as protection against the cold - including tents donated by relief organizations (Haaretz, Dec 11, 2015): click here!
The sheer inhumanity of it is breathtaking. ...This is the province of Israeli demolition and expulsion, the district of ethnic cleansing. As in the South Hebron Hills, here, too, in the occupied rift valley, Israel is trying to expel everyone it can in order to facilitate future annexation. And what could be an easier target for expulsion and abuse than the lowest denizens on the food chain of Palestinian helplessness – these communities of Bedouin shepherds?
- Hatem BAZIAN: "The Palestinian cause and international law". As Israel's right wing tries to Judaise Jerusalem, Palestinians are looking to international law (Al Jazeera, Nov 9, 2015): click here!
The Palestinian quest for international recognition took another major step forward when 107 nations voted to admit Palestine as a full member to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- "Israel’s decades-long policy of holding Palestinian bodies". (Ma'an News Agency, Nov 4, 2015): click here!
Israel’s treatment of the Palestinian dead, and its impact on the living, is being questioned once again as the government continues to withhold the bodies of 22 Palestinians killed following attacks on Israelis during the month of October.
- "Les femmes palestiniennes de Jérusalem-Est occupé appellent à la protection contre la violence israélienne" (Jeruselamite Women's Coalition, trad. Plate-Forme Charleroi-Palestine, 24 octobre, 2015): cliquez-ici!
"Nous les femmes de Jérusalem-Est occupé appelons à une protection immédiate alors que nous sommes témoins et que nous souffrons de violations répandues et sérieuses des droits humains palestiniens, incluant des attaques physiques et des blessures, des menaces psychologiques graves et une persécution par l’état colonialiste israélien et par des entités de colons."
- Michael THOMAS: "Operation Protective Edge. The War Crimes Case Against Israel’s Leaders" (MERIP, October 26, 2015): click here!
...The possible crimes most important to investigate, from both legal and moral perspectives, do not involve decisions by gunship pilots or squad leaders to attack particular targets. They involve decisions by the political and military leadership of Israel, setting the strategic goals of the conflict and choosing the means and methods by which those goals would be sought. If, as available evidence suggests, those political and strategic choices, based on long-standing doctrine and declared policy, authorized and validated grave violations of the law, responsibility for the resulting violations should start with the leaders.
- Fadi SHAFEI: "Stateless in Gaza" (Al-Monitor, October 23, 2015): klik hier!
There are Palestinians who live in the Gaza Strip without legal status; their identification cards are not recognized by Israel for various reasons, nor do they have official status in any other country. In fact, those Palestinians bear the “Blue ID,” which is nothing more than a personal identification card that classifies its holder as “stateless.”
- "Israeli police acting above the law, taking brutal measures to suppress legitimate protest of Palestinian citizens of Israel" (Adalah, 11 October, 2015): click here!
Repressive police acts include arbitrary arrests of minors; 'preventive arrests' of activists; arrests of activists' family members; and severe physical violence against protestors.
- "A Deafening Silence: EU must address escalation of violence against Palestinians" (Al-Haq, 6 October, 2015): click here!
On 5 October 2015, the Israeli Occupying Forces (IOF) shot dead 13-year old Palestinian boy Abdel Rahman Abdallah near Bethlehem. Abdel’s death came in the wake of Israel’s killing of Hutheifa Suleiman (18 years) and Fadi Alloun (19 years) on 4 October. During the same time period, approximately 450 Palestinians were injured across the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT).
- Ben NORTON: "Amnesty: Killing of Hadeel al-Hashlamoun was ‘extrajudicial execution’" (Mondoweiss, September 25, 2015): click here!
"“This killing is the latest in a long line of unlawful killings carried out by the Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank with near total impunity,” Amnesty said."
- "The EU Must Address the Palestinian Right of Return" (ECCP, 20 September, 2015): click here!
European Coordination of Committees and Associations for Palestine: To the attention of Mr Jean Asselborn – Minister of Foreign and European Affairs. "As Luxembourg holds the Presidency of the Council of the European Union during the second semester of 2015 and presides over the work of the Council of the EU, it holds a unique opportunity to play a key role in the EU’s approach towards the situation in the Middle East, in particular with regard to Palestinian refugees. This is crucial now because of the context of the refugee crisis gaining ever-increasing attention".
- Natasha ROTH: "Addressing the root of the Palestinian refugee problem" (+972, September 24, 2015): click here!
"Cash shortages at UNRWA distract from the wider issue: it is the lack of a diplomatic solution, not funding, that leaves Palestinian refugees vulnerable".
- Natasha ROTH: "Israel is pulling the West Bank out from under Palestinian feet" (+972, September 11, 2015): click here!
"With over 14,000 demolition orders issued against Palestinian structures in Area C since 1988, Israel is maintaining a vast system of control-by-threat that at once dispossesses and undermines social stability".
- Hassan SHAALAN: "Arab schools call for 'educational intifada'" (YNetNews.com, September 7, 2015): click here!
"Half a million Arab students go on strike in solidarity with 33,000 Christian students protesting budget cuts to education institutions in their sector".
- "Israel’s Civil Administration steps up efforts to expel Area C Palestinian communities" (B'Tselem, Sept 3, 2015): click here!
"In August Israel demolished the homes of 228 people, 124 of them minors, leaving them with no shelter. In August, the Civil Administration and the military went on a demolition rampage in 29 villages and communities throughout Area C".
- Ghada KARMI: "The right of return; a forgotten issue" (Middle East Monitor, Sept 1, 2015): click here!
"No issue has been so much at the heart of the Palestine cause, or so resistant to resolution, as the right of return. Palestinians world wide see it as the basis of their case. Enshrined in international law and historical precedent, it has acquired an almost sacred quality for Palestinians, an untouchable right that no one can dispute. Generations of refugees have been reared on the expectation of return to their homeland. Their position derives not only from natural justice, but is also underpinned legally by UN Resolution 194, passed by the General Assembly in December 1948".
- Salwa DUAIBIS: "The devastating effects of night raids on Palestinian families" IDF night raids, an everyday occurrence in the occupied territories, ensure that Palestinians cannot feels safe in the one place where safety should be assured. (+972, 31 August 2015): click here!
"Perhaps the most devastating impact these raids have is on the children. Mothers report that their children have problems sleeping after experiencing a night raid. Some children become aggressive, others wet their beds. No one feels safe in the one place where safety should be assured. According to a recent report by WCLAC, it is estimated that the military conducts nearly 1,400 night raids each year, with over 65,000 since military law was imposed on the West Bank in 1967".
- Christof LEHMANN: "Dangerous Trends In Palestinian Health Caused by Occupation: UNRWA" (International Middle East Media Center, 18 August 2015): click here!
"A United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) report on Palestine’s Gaza Strip concludes that infant mortality has risen for the first time in decades. A significant marker for a dangerous trend says UNRWA Director of Health Dr. Akihiro Seita. Infant mortality is but one of numerous health and mental health indicators, suggesting that the tragic state of health in Palestine is an artifact of the blockade on Gaza, the occupation of the West Bank, and the lack of possibilities for Palestine to develop a sound economy".
- Abaher EL SAKKA: "La cérémonie de l’humiliation". Jours ordinaires en Cisjordanie (Le Monde Diplomatique, septembre, 2015): click here!
"Sommé en 2004 par la Cour internationale de justice de cesser immédiatement ses travaux, Israël continue à ériger un mur de séparation qui devient chaque jour plus aliénant pour les Palestiniens. Plaçant les frontières où bon lui semble, l’occupant impose sa domination aux points de passage et par le biais d’innombrables barrages qui morcellent le territoire de la Cisjordanie".
- "Les bulldozers israéliens écrasent une école palestinienne" (CAPJPO, EuroPalestine, 22 août, 2015): click here!
A la veille de la rentrée scolaire, l’armée israélienne écrase aux bulldozers une école prête à ouvrir ses portes aux enfants palestiniens de la Vallée du Jourdain. "Le mois d’août, dans la Vallée du Jourdain, est loin d’être une période estivale pour les Palestiniens. À quatre reprises (le 2, le 12, le 18 et le 20 août), les forces d’occupation de l’armée israélienne ont débarqué aux aurores avec jeeps et bulldozers dans plusieurs localités pour démolir et raser des maisons d’habitation, des bergeries, couper l’alimentation électrique et défoncer des citernes d’eau.
- "UN calls for immediate freeze to West Bank home demolitions" (Ma'an News Agency, August 19, 2015): click here!
JERUSALEM (Ma'an): UN officials on Tuesday slammed a recent spate of Israeli home demolitions east of Jerusalem and called for an immediate freeze on demolitions across the occupied West Bank. Israeli forces on Monday demolished 22 structures belonging to the Jahalin Bedouin community in eastern Jerusalem, leaving 78 Palestinians homeless, including 49 children, the UN Office for the Coordinator of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) and the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) said in a joint statement.
- Bradley BURSTON: "It’s time to admit it. Israeli policy is what it is: Apartheid." "I used to be one of those people who took issue with the label of apartheid as applied to Israel. Not anymore" (Medium.com: Haaretz, August 17, 2015): click here!
- "Palestinian hunger strike tests Israel force-feeding law" (Ma'an News Agency, August 16, 2015): click here!
"A two-month hunger strike by a Palestinian detainee now in a coma may test a controversial new Israeli law on force-feeding, with Israeli doctors vowing to refuse to carry it out".
- Elodi FARGE: "Le droit à l’éducation des Palestiniens à nouveau sacrifié" (AURDIP, 14 août 2015): click here!
"Alors que l’extrémisme augmente dans la région, se nourrissant de la marginalisation socio-économique, de l’ignorance, de l’absence de raisonnement critique et du manque de repères identitaires, nier le droit à l’éducation est une bombe à retardement".
- David PALUMBO-LIO: "Les enfants souffrent d’une façon disproportionnée de l’occupation israélienne" (AURDIP, 2 août 2015): click here!
"Les organisations pour la défense des droits humains font état de violences systématiques pratiquées sur les enfants par les forces d’occupation israéliennes. État des lieux".
- Doug BOLTON: "Controversial citizenship law that bans Palestinians married to Israelis from living in Israel extended by the Knesset" (The Independent, June 17, 2015): click here!
- "Restriction of Movement: Checkpoints, Physical Obstructions, and Forbidden Roads" (B'Tselem - The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, update 20 May 2015): click here!
"Israel's restrictions on Palestinians' freedom of movement in the West Bank are enforced by a system of fixed checkpoints, surprise flying checkpoints, physical obstructions, roads on which Palestinians are forbidden to travel, and gates along the Separation Barrier. The restrictions enable Israel to control Palestinian movement throughout the West Bank as suits its interests, in a sweeping breach of Palestinians' rights. [...] Israel's policy is based on the premise that every Palestinian is a security threat, thus justifying restrictions on the person's freedom of movement. This racist assumption brings with it the sweeping violation of human rights of an entire population based on national origin. As such, the policy flagrantly breaches international law."
- Amira HASS: "Israeli colonialism, plain and simple" (Haaretz, 11 May, 2015).
"In two court decisions involving shoving Palestinians off their land, Supreme Court justices have confirmed what Israel’s critics are saying: that Israel has been a colonialist entity since 1948...
The justices dismissed the petition challenging the application of the Absentee Property Law in their case, thus continuing the tradition from the 1950s. That is when we coined the oxymoron “present absentees” in order to facilitate the demolition of villages and robbery of land of Palestinians that remained, those that we failed to expel.
In the justices’ consent to the demolition of Sussia and Umm al-Hiran, they have drawn a direct line linking 1948 to today. They have confirmed what Israel’s most virulent critics say about the country – that it is a colonialist, dispossessing entity. The justices have parroted what the state has been screaming all along: It’s my right to dispossess, my right to expel, my right to demolish and crowd people into pens. I have demolished and will continue to do so. I have expelled and will continue to expel. I have crowded people in and will continue to do so. I never gave a damn and never will do."
- Yas MAHMOUDI: "“The dismal lives of students locked in Israeli prison”" (Mondoweiss, March 17, 2015): click here!
Throughout Palestine, prisons are a major site in which the struggle for education, among other basic human rights, is tirelessly waged. Roughly 20% of Palestinians have been incarcerated, constituting as much as 40% of the male population. Many are students whose right to an education suffer enormously once imprisoned.
- Nahla ABDO: "From Captive Revolution to Grand Gaza Prison" (Pluto Press Blog, Aug 21, 2014): click here!
In her new book "Captive Revolution", Nahla Abdo talks to Palestinian women imprisoned within the Israeli prison system and analyses the apparent gendered forms of oppression and resistance in such extreme conditions. For this article in time for the book’s publication, she discusses the concept of the entire Gaza Strip as a prison colony, and reveals the attitude of the Palestinian people who resist within it.
- "Israel/West Bank: Separate and Unequal. Under Discriminatory Policies, Settlers Flourish, Palestinians Suffer" (Human Rights Watch, 19 Dec 2010): click here!
Israeli policies in the West Bank harshly discriminate against Palestinian residents, depriving them of basic necessities while providing lavish amenities for Jewish settlements, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. The report identifies discriminatory practices that have no legitimate security or other justification and calls on Israel, in addition to abiding by its international legal obligation to withdraw the settlements, to end these violations of Palestinians' rights.
- "Israeli Artists Condemn Settlements" (Jewish Voice for Peace, Sept 6, 2010): click here!
When some 60 leading Israeli actors and playwrights signed a letter stating they would refuse to play in the new theatre in Ariel, one of Israel’s largest settlements, the attacks from Prime Minister Netanyahu, Israel’s Minister of Culture and Sport and many others were swift and intense. Over 150 leading Israeli academics and writers- including Amos Oz and David Grossman- came to their defense.
- "The Status of Palestinian Citizens in Israel". Pax Christi International 16 February 2004. Written statement for the UN Human Rights Commission (The Electronic Intifada, 16 Feb, 2004): click here!
Pax Christi International wishes to draw attention to the situation of Palestinian citizens inside Israel within the borders of 1948. The focus of the Arab- Israeli conflict is mostly on Palestinians of the Occupied Territories and to a lesser degree on those Palestinians who live inside Israel. In essence, their situation has many similarities with the situation of Palestinians in the Occupied Territories.
- Human Rights Watch, “SECOND CLASS. Discrimination Against Palestinian Arab Children in Israel's Schools” (Sept 30, 2001): click here!
Nearly one in four of Israel's 1.6 million schoolchildren are educated in a public school system wholly separate from the majority. The children in this parallel school system are Israeli citizens of Palestinian Arab origin. Their schools are a world apart in quality from the public schools serving Israel's majority Jewish population.
Voor het archief click here!
- *Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017).
- "Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).
- Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).
- Emily MULDER: "Israeli guard: 'Go from this land or I will kill you'" (Al Jazeera, Dec 26, 2016).
- "A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016).
- "Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016).
- "Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).
- Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016).
- "Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).
- Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016).
- "After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).
- Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).
- Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).
- Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).
- Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).
- Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016).
- "Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016).
- "UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).
- Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).
- Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).
- C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016).
- Mazal MUALEM: "'Hate wedding' video offers glimpse at Jewish terror" (Al-Monitor, Dec 28, 2015).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Catastrophe for Syrians and Palestinians alike in war-ravaged country" (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2015).
- Shlomi ELDAR: "Why the US is part of Middle East problem, not the solution". Interview with Ayman Odeh (Al-Monitor, Dec 14, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "Obama’s ISIS czar says we can’t defeat extremism without resolving Palestinian issue" (Mondoweiss, Dec 14, 2015).
- Uri SAVIR: "How the Islamic State hurts Palestinian cause" (Al-Monitor, Dec 6, 2015).
- Al Jazeera: "Gaza's crumbling healthcare system" (Yahoo.com, Dec 8, 2015).
- Nurit CANETTI: "The radicalization of Israel" (Al-Monitor, Dec 2, 2015).
- Kate: "Prominent Israeli settler runs over 16-year-old girl, then shoots her dead" (Mondoweiss, Nov 23, 2015).
- Gideon LEVY: "So These Are Israel's New Heroes?" Israel's recent military operations in Palestinian hospitals are a blatant violation of the Geneva Convention, and make you wonder how low the country can sink (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "The best way for Americans to defeat the Islamic state is to end support for Jewish nationalism" (Mondoweiss, Nov 15, 2015).
- Ahmed MOOR: "The Problem of Palestine is Zionism" (Fair Observer, Nov 11, 2015).
- Miko PELED: "Zionism is racism: Notes from Tel-Rumeida, Hebron, El-Khalil" (American Herald Tribune, Nov 13, 2015).
- Megan HANNA: "‘It Has Become A Prison’: The ghettoization of Hebron" (Mondoweiss, Nov 11, 2015).
- Avigail ABARBANEL: "Netanyahu’s craziness is calculated, to drive out Palestinians" (Mondoweiss, Nov 5, 2015).
- Michel WARSCHAWSKI: "La jeunesse palestinienne à couteaux tirés avec Israël" (Orient XXI, 15 Oct 2015).
- Kamel HAWWASH: "Palestinians have a problem with occupiers not (with) Jews" (MEMO, Oct 30, 2015).
- "Palestijnse baby vermoord met traangas" (Alexandrina, Oct 31, 2015).
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Israel’s executions of Palestinian teens must end, Amnesty says" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 28, 2015).
- Killian REDDEN: "Hebron at eye of the storm as death toll rises" (Ma'an News Agency, Oct 26, 2015).
- "Netanyahu Shamelessly Exploits the Shoah to Stoke Fear of Palestinians" (Jewish Voice for Peace, Oct 21, 2015).
- Amos GVIRTZ: "From Unilateral- to Bilateral War - or: How the Palestinians Fight to Prevent Being Expelled From the Country" (Occupation Magazine, Oct 20, 2015).
- Noam SHEIZAF: "Jerusalem, in context" (+972, October 19, 2015). "The current events in Jerusalem have a political history and context. Attempts to attribute the violence to some kind of Palestinian pathology while ignoring other factors is a recipe for making things worse."
- Meron RAPOPORT: "The paradox of Jerusalem" (Middle East Eye, October 17, 2015).